2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

infamous bubbling paint TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM
zestar
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Blistering Paint Fixed

Vehicle owners have listed both the Dealer and Ford as Defendants even if they bought it from a private owner.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by pumpercaptain
And a sidebar to my earlier post- We have a 2004 Honda Accord. Radio and all hvac controls went out a few years ago. 100,000+ miles. Looked on the web and found this was a known problem for Honda, very similar to this debacle with Ford. Called Honda and within 3 days of the first and only phone call, car was in the shop, new radio installed and out the door with a sincere apology for my troubles. Brother had a Honda Odyssey. Honda put 4 transmissions in it before they finally sold it at 300,000 miles. Didn't cost him a cent. Why can't the Big 3 provide service like that???
Well, Honda pulls the same stuff...

Defective Paint
Honda Defective Paint Class Action Lawsuit

Engine Mis-fire
Honda Engine Misfire Class Action Lawsuit Settlement

Faulty sun visors
Client Settlement Site > Home

Engine oil burning
http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-burning-claim

Defective brakes
Honda Brake Class Action Lawsuit | Acura Brake Lawsuit | Girard Gibbs LLP

Accord- Oil Burning
Honda Unit Agrees To Settle Accord Defect Class Action - Law360

Malfunctioning locks
Class action lawsuit filed against Honda over lock malfunctions | www.wsbtv.com

Old 04-29-2014, 09:53 PM
dfishrmn88
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 F150 Paint bubbling under Magnetic Signs

I have an '05 F150 SCAB with paint bubbling under magnetic signs on rear doors. I have a sign on the tailgate with no problems.
I took them off to get the truck washed and noticed them. After sitting a couple of days without the signs they shrunk approx. 99% but still slightly noticeable. May have something to do with trapped moisture?
Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks for your help.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dfishrmn88
I have an '05 F150 SCAB with paint bubbling under magnetic signs on rear doors. I have a sign on the tailgate with no problems.
I took them off to get the truck washed and noticed them. After sitting a couple of days without the signs they shrunk approx. 99% but still slightly noticeable. May have something to do with trapped moisture?
Anyone else had this problem?
Thanks for your help.
The doors are made of steel, thin, but still steel. The bubbling is an issue of poor prep practices on the aluminum parts-hood-hatch. Not sure if your tailgate is aluminum.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
wow...I had thought that perhaps Ford would've gotten ahold of this issue by now. After all, it's been 7 freaking yrs since this generation of Expy has been exhibiting these paint issues.

nice to see that even on the new rigs Ford is still leading the way in screwing over their customers.
Originally Posted by pumpercaptain
Don't know if anyone has seen this but here ya go... what a great bunch of people at the Ford Motor Co. Deny, deceive and do everything they can to not fix the problem which has been around for years now with aluminum corrosioin... I just read that most dealerships that take Expy's in on trade paint the liftgate immediately to cover up any of the corrosion that may be there before they try to resell it. Nice. Don't doubt that one... anyway, our 2010 is doing this and we don't know what to do with it. 3 years of payments left, $1100 to "fix" it since Ford rep says I was "too ****" about our truck and they were finished trying to make me happy... corrosion could come back again or break out somewhere else even if I have a local body shop fix it... bout ready to trade it off. My family have been very loyal to Ford for years, but I am DONE with these crooks. Damn shame you pay this much money for something and all you get is the run around and excuses, and then have to spend even more money to fix their mistakes and take them to court to try and recoup your loss.
there is a reason I got rid of my 2008 Expy EL Limited after it had been painted 6 times. Yes, it was painted 6 times.

the rear hatch was painted twice
the hood was painted 3 times

the doors were painted so many times I cannot even recall the number.
The fenders were painted twice

After a little over 2yrs, the roof began rusting out. Ford denied warranty repairs for this issue even though I had a Bumper to Bumper Premium Care ESP and the Expy had <25,000 miles and only 2yrs of ownership. Said I didn't wash my Expy enough. Ford would only cover the repairs IF the roof rusted though 100% and I had a hole to the outside that leaked.
I gave up my 2006 F-150 FX4 with a Rouch Blower on it to get this $40,000 rig. Damn thing was nothing but trouble from almost day 1. I've never been so happy to get rid of a vehicle.
you pick your battles. I love Ford vehicles. I despise the company, and their build quality since 2005/2006 has significantly downgraded. I gave Ford another chance when I leased my 2012 Flex. Right off the showroom floor it had paint defects on the doors and the bumpers. Didn't care since it was a lease and the defects were documented prior to purchase. Right before we ditched it back in December 2013, the hood had started to bubble...just like my Expy had. I got rid of that vehicle due to another Warranty concern where Ford chose to renege on me once again concerning Warranty.

At this point in time, I refuse to give Ford another red cent. I am also firmly of the opinion that these issues should be broadcast much more widely. Perhaps then when Ford starts losing sales, they'll once again start caring about things like Warranty and Customer Service. I've spent way over $100,000 with Ford buying new rigs and they could care less about maintaining me as a customer.
For those random folks who find this by accident. I highly recommend you consider another brand besides Ford when you purchase.

If you still decide to go with Ford, make sure to go over that rig with a fine tooth comb. Check every single aspect of the rig. I'm talking about under the doors, under the hood, the hood, the rear hatch, all cracks/crevices/seams, and especially check the roof seams.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM
John Wells
New User
We have two Expeditions, an 06 and an 07. Both hoods and lift gates are peeling and both are silver in color. Shawnee Mission Ford in Shawnee KS refused to repair either one. The 06 was still under warranty. I was told that the "rust" has to go completely through the rear lift gate (a hole!) before they would fix it. I wish there were a class action suit for this. I'd sign on.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Typeo628
New User
Re: paint bubbling

Originally Posted by 2005X
I have 2010 EB model - just recently purchased form private party and the bubble on mine is pretty small still, less than pencil eraser, did not even notice it until after I purchaset it..Grrr. Also did not know until doing more research that the tailgate was alum, figured when I saw the bubbled paint it was "rust" on the steel.

Now that Iknow it's alum I feel like I know what the cause is, but someone feel free to let me know if I'm off here... I come from a long background in the boating industry - including service dept at a Mercruiser dealer and see this kind of corrosion a lot on Merc Stern Drives, esp the Bravo 3 - the paint bubbles from underneath due to corrosion on the alum alloy metal, always explained by "experts" as galvonic corrosion from dissimilar metals being next to each other. You have the alum / alloy case and large steel (stainless steel) props and shafts, etc... And I'm fairly certain that is what's going on here... The tailgate is alum, and the corrosion is at the drivers side of the chrome (chrome plated steel) piece that tops the license plate. It looks like when the pieces are put together, the cheapy steel chrome piece must pierce the paint either from a rough edge or fasteners that hold attached and where it is cotacting the alum is where the corrosion is present - dissimaler metals touching, and being helped along by road salt, moisture, etc...

So, here's my question. I'm at 35K miles, still under warranty and have a local dealer that is willing to re-paint under warranty, along with few other small things before I go "out"... But they don't know of anyway to fix the real problem. At least not the guy I have spoken with so far. I'm trying to explain to them it's just a matter of time unless we do something to separate the alum tailgate from the chrome piece - or better yet find an aluminum piece to go over the tailgate lic plate instead of chrome over steel? If there is no alum equivalent, did Ford ever come out with a gasket to fit this license plate cover to go between it and the tailgate? Any ideas would be great as I plan on keeping this for a long time (we all say that, right?) and don't want to see the bubbles back in year or 2...
I would even consider not replacing the chrome piece, but you need something up there..

Thanks if there is any feedback or anyone that has already done it..
Geoff.
Aluminum Annodizing. Probably not easy or cheap but is a solution. Not sure if it can be done on the vehicle though.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:55 AM
tirnaog
Freshman User
I am also getting this peeling on my rear door. Over $1200 to fix the dealer said.
Thinking Of getting some black spray paint and just cover it up.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:55 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tirnaog
I am also getting this peeling on my rear door. Over $1200 to fix the dealer said.
Thinking Of getting some black spray paint and just cover it up.
How bad is the bubbling? How big of an area?

The dealer isn't the best body shop also. They usually sub it out or do mediocre work at full boat prices.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:02 AM
tirnaog
Freshman User
tis just above the rear handle. About maybe 2inch square area.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:50 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tirnaog
tis just above the rear handle. About maybe 2inch square area.
I would just repair it myself. Plenty of online videos. Get the correct color in a small spray can, use primer, etc. Or hire one of the bumper medic companies. They do a good job for spot repairs. Can blend it in pretty good. Cost around $100 or so for something small. At some point when they appear all over, you can decide to take it in and have the whole liftgate painted.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:39 PM
springwater
New User
Is Ford covering this if its out of warranty?

My bubbling is all along the bottom of the rear lift gate, inside and out.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 AM
david_jr
Senior User
Bubbling turns to peeling and large areas of exposed aluminum. This is what I have on my 2008 that Ford declined to repair several years ago.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:13 AM
ElmiraF350
New User
Bummer

Please delete

Last edited by ElmiraF350; 12-21-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Didn't end up buying that vehicle
Old 01-31-2018, 01:22 PM
tater_51
Senior User
Problem Repaired on my 2015

I purchased a 2015 with 29,000 miles about 1 1/2 years ago. After several weeks I noticed the paint bubble on the inner lift gate, went the whole length of the gate. I took it to the local dealer who stated the same thing, had to be rusted through to have a warranty repair. I wasn't a happy camper, he gave me the Ford customer service number.

Long story short, I found that ford had to cover it as a paint issue not a corrosion issue. Because I was still within the 36,000 the warranty states any paint issue would be covered. Back to the dealership who ended up fixing the rear hatch and also painting the underside of the hood lip where I had yet to find any problem. In fact they painted the hatch twice, the body shop manager was not satisfied with the first paint over and had it all redone. Just get in there and stand your ground, they'll bend. tater

Quick Reply: infamous bubbling paint TSB