1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

1998 ford expedition brake failer

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 AM
cleaningbug94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ford expedition brake failer

Okay today my mom was driving the expedition and she went to apply them and it wouldnt stop she plowed right into another car now the bumper is thrashed and the metal tranny line cooler is bent what should i do to start we need to have it for that move across country on october 30.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 AM
alloro
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,454 Posts
Originally Posted by cleaningbug94
what should i do to start
You should start by calling your insurance company to see what they'll pay to fix it. Perhaps they'll total it, then you can take the money and buy something else to drive on your trip.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
C'mon, what kind of gray cloud is hanging over you?? Please take the trip before anything else happens.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:59 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
Please take the trip before anything else happens.
Better yet don't. With your luck I suggest you go hide in a cave and sleep the winter away. Oh wait...the bear.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
cleaningbug94
Senior User
Yeah the person we hit doesnt even have insurance and we have to put a new bumper door and the tranny began to slip after should i fix it or see what the insurance will do i dont want my rates to go up but they will i know and this guy is so annoying he drives a 1997 ford tarus and wants us to pay the 1300 to get it fixed instead of just getting another car.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:33 PM
TexFinn
Senior User
Sucks that the person your mom hit doesn't have insurance. Hopefully your mom at least called the cops so that he gets a citation for that.

Whether he has an insurance or not doesn't really affect you, though. Your liability will still take care of it if you report it. If not, then I guess you have to for over what he wants.

Do you have full coverage on the Expedition? If so, you might want to file a claim and see what they will do (fix it or total it) and ask them about your future rates. I think you can always cancel the claim after you find all this out and fix it yourself out of pocket or sell as is. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong with that...

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
minitrk
Senior User
Sorry to hear about your situation, but whether they have insurance or not does not matter. You hit them, you are responsible for paying for the damages to his car whatever that may be. Why is he annoying in wanting his car fixed that YOUR MOM DAMAGED. What would you do if he hit you just forget about it?? It could be A LOT worse for you, he could go after you for pain and suffering, medical bills, lost wages ETC. (if he was injured which still could be the case, he STILL has a right to go to the ER and get checked) it really sounds like your getting lucky. It is your fault you are responsible to pay for whatever he wants to do, whether it be fix it, or pay the fair mrkt value of his car, which IF it was in mint cond could be upwards of 3,000 according to the NADA book.... Just give it to your insurance to handle and be done with it. Good luck to you, your gonna need it. Sorry to sound like a D**k Head but its NOT his fault your mom hit him...

Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM
cleaningbug94
Senior User
yeah i know we are getting rid of it is their anyway you can think of me getting a new car because i am not very happy with ford right now i saw the ad for the 2010 dodge and it looks really nice i could get it for free from my uncle should i get rid of the expedition and get that.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
TexFinn
Senior User
Well... Let's see...

Free basically brand new Dodge (what ever model?) vs. damaged 13 year old Expedition?

I really despise any Mopar of the recent years (save for Viper and Wrangler) but even for me that would be pretty close to a no-brainer.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
cleaningbug94
Senior User
Well i dnt like feeling in debt to relatives

Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by cleaningbug94
the tranny began to slip after
The slipping is due to the crimped cooling line. There is a loss of fluid pressure due to the crimp creating a restriction.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by minitrk
Sorry to hear about your situation, but whether they have insurance or not does not matter. You hit them, you are responsible for paying for the damages to his car whatever that may be.
Actually this is not correct. Since the other vehicle didn't have insurance as required by law, it had no legal right to be out on the road. The accident would not have happened if the other vehicle was parked.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 AM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
So what do you need to do to get a "free" 2010 Dodge?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:44 AM
TexFinn
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro
Actually this is not correct. Since the other vehicle didn't have insurance as required by law, it had no legal right to be out on the road. The accident would not have happened if the other vehicle was parked.
Actually... I do not claim to be either insurance or law expert, but I don't think it really goes like that.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by TexFinn
Actually... I do not claim to be either insurance or law expert, but I don't think it really goes like that.
Then maybe it's different between different states, because I know from personal experience around here it's the way I said it.

One of my kids rear-ended a "friend" of his, a pick-up truck. (I think they were screwing around, but no one would fess up to it.) As it turned out, the friend didn't have insurance on his pick-up truck, my son did have insurance which was his own policy on his own car. (Listen up parents, always do this, DO NOT ever put your kids on your policy.) It might cost them a bit more to have their own policy, but if they ever get into an accident, your house and your finances are safe. Anyway, back to the accident.

So this pick-up truck was a real piece of junk, rust holes all over the place, mis-matched paint, all 4 tires were different, and not a straight line on the thing. I heard it used to be a farm truck and was beat up pretty good. The only damage caused by the accident to the truck was the rear step bumper wasn't square with the vehicle. It could've been that way before but who knows. So anyway, I tell my son how he's better off paying for the bumper on the truck instead of making the insurance claim. The kid says he'd be happy if the bumper could just be squared up. So I said okay bring it by, I have all the tools to do that. He brought it by, I squared it up and away he went.

Later that night the kid calls and says his father wants the bumper replaced with a new bumper. The new bumper was about $800 and frankly I wouldn't have given him $100 for the whole truck. So naturally this ticks me off, which is never a good thing. Now I get involved and get on the phone with his father. I told him that we're now going to go through insurance (knowing full well he doesn't have any) and the insurance company requires a police report of the accident. So would he kindly meet me at the police department with the license, registration, and insurance paperwork.

Needless to say, the whole issue was dropped like a ton of bricks at that very moment.

Quick Reply: 1998 ford expedition brake failer