Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

94 7.3 turbo idi injection return lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:40 PM
f350custom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 7.3 turbo idi injection return lines

ok well i have had this truck apart for about a year and a half so i am trying to put the new fuel injector on it an new return lines an its been apart for so long i am not shore of the cap placement an fuel line routing from what i no the 94 turbo idi is different than the non turbo idi . i have a 94 turbo idi so any help would be great . even if some one has a pic of a 94 turbo idi that would be great

Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They are routed different and in my opinion it is wrong ...

The ultimate (or proper IMO) return setup would be ... (using a 7.3 NON turbo Installation kit)
The return line from the IP goes to the first Injector on the left bank through all the Injectors to a return tee at the back of the motor ... This allows air to bleed from the IP as well as coolant for the left bank of Injectors!

The return line from the filter head goes to the first Injector on the right bank and through all the Injectors to the return tee at the back of the motor ... This allows air to bleed from the filter as well as coolant to the right bank of Injectors!

The POOR factory Turbo return line layout ...

The factory Turbo layout #7 Injector uses a Tee with one barb and the #5 Injector has a 3 barb Tee, the third barb is the crossover ... This leaves #7 dead headed without flow, A very poor layout!

This is done to keep the lines away from the heat of the turbo ... It can be done with my suggested routing using a longer hose and routing it from #7 back towards the front of the truck around the front of the intake to the brass tee at the back of the motor.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 PM
f350custom
Senior User
thanks for the info on the turbo model and yes that is a bad set up . do you have a non turbo layout that is better

Old 09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on my turbo engine, i ran it the same as the n/a setup. its fine, since you cut the line yourself, just give yourself enough slack where the line can run along the bottom of the valley pan.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
I do not have an image, however I did describe it ... If you do my described method (as quoted below) you need to get a Injector Installation kit for a NON Turbo.

Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
The ultimate (or proper IMO) return setup would be ... (using a 7.3 NON turbo Installation kit)
The return line from the IP goes to the first Injector on the left bank through all the Injectors to a return tee at the back of the motor ... This allows air to bleed from the IP as well as coolant for the left bank of Injectors!

The return line from the filter head goes to the first Injector on the right bank and through all the Injectors to the return tee at the back of the motor ... This allows air to bleed from the filter as well as coolant to the right bank of Injectors!
-Enjoy

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Thanks Oreo ...

-Enjoy

Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
np, its crude but it gets the point across lol

Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Ain't that whats important ... It does that just fine.

Might want to move the crossover on the Turbo layout to #5 and #6, then if someone uses it only #7 will be dead headed.

-Enjoy

Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
only #7 should be dead headed.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Yup, but your Turbo layout has #5 & #7 dead headed.

-Enjoy

Old 09-22-2010, 04:01 AM
f350custom
Senior User
i have both kits so i can do it ether way so i am going to try to do it the non turbo way it looks better.ok one last question i see on oreocreaming's drawing the non turbo one . the bottom of picture left side go to filter housing and right side go to injection pump am i right so far ? now up the top of picture were does that end go ? i am sorry for dumb questions but its been a long time since i played with this truck . thanks for info guys

Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
The layout I described is exactly how Oreo's N/A layout is depicted ...

The return line from the IP goes to the first Injector on the left bank (US drivers side) and through all the Injectors to the brass return tee at the back of the motor ... This allows air to bleed from the IP as well as coolant for the left bank of Injectors!

The return line from the filter head goes to the first Injector on the right bank (US passenger side) and through all the Injectors to the brass return tee at the back of the motor ... This allows air to bleed from the filter as well as coolant to the right bank of Injectors!

So, That means in Oreo's picture, the lower right goes to the IP, the lower left goes to the filter head, the top is the back of the motor, Thus that would be the BRASS Tee at the back of the motor, That brass Tee has 3 connections, two 1/4" barbs and one 5/16" barb, one 1/4" barb is for the Left bank, one 1/4" barb is for the Right bank and the 5/16" barb heads back to the fuel tank. (through the Fuel Selector Valve if you have dual tanks)

Hope this clears it up for you, if not I'll try and try again ...

-Enjoy

Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
I should have thought about that when I did mine....Another problem you'll run into is that almost nobody has those 3-way tees that the turbo engine has, so if you break one of those you pretty much have to set it up the n/a way anyway (damn homophones).

Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
What is the optimal turbo injector return layout if this leaves two dead headed??? Why not 2ea degrees at the rear?

Quick Reply: 94 7.3 turbo idi injection return lines