6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HERE WE GO AGAIN

Hey Guy's How has everyone been?

Well as some of you may remmember I had a very bad time with my 6.4 and Ford bought it back from me!

I went to a V-10 SD instead of dealing with the issues of the 6.4

Well I am ready for another new truck and I am hoping the 6.7 i much bettter than the 6.4

i have a few questions

Can these new motors be idled for a long period or do they shut down?
can i get a gear Lower than a 355 on a 250 CC shortbed single wheel?
Is the fuel milage better than the 12 i got with the 6.4?
How does the power compare to the 6.4?

What are the problems with the 6.7 and have they been fixed?
Please be honest most folks dont want to admit there truck has issues!

I have heard of tranny issues that are fixed by flashing, has this been fixed?

Is Mike or anybody tuning these yet?

Please let me know I am going to need a new truck by spring and may buy before then if i can sell my V-10( which by the way had zero issues )
I got 12 MPG with 430 gears!
I put a 5 star tuner in it and it really pulls well and has good throttle response.

Does the 6.7 have a hesitation on take off? my 6.4 almost got me killed more than once! Trying to pull into traffic and mat the throttle and it just sat there.

thank for your input

Old 09-21-2010, 02:07 PM
mvedepo
Senior User
Can these new motors be idled for a long period or do they shut down?
Yes. I believe trucks bought in CA will only run for 10 mins then shutdown due to CA emission requirements.

Can i get a gear Lower than a 355 on a 250 CC shortbed single wheel?
You won't need a lower gear with the 6 speed and 800 lb ft of torque. It's hard enough as it is to keep the wheels from barking.

Is the fuel milage better than the 12 i got with the 6.4?
MPG vary greatly depending on driving style. The constant is that guys that have had both are getting better mileage out of the 6.7.

How does the power compare to the 6.4?
It doesn't compare. Only way the 6.4 can compete is with a tune.

What are the problems with the 6.7 and have they been fixed?
Nothing major. Small stuff. All of which has been or is being addressed. Ford is taking this truck VERY seriously. The future of the SD line depends on it and they know it.

I have heard of tranny issues that are fixed by flashing, has this been fixed?
Shifting has gotten better.

Is Mike or anybody tuning these yet?
There are a few that are on the verge of getting released. The only draw back to tuning and deleting all the emission stull is that the truck sounds like CRAP. It is NO WHERE NEAR the sweet sound of the 6.0 or 6.4.

Does the 6.7 have a hesitation on take off?
From a dead stop there is a SLIGHT hesitation programed into the truck. I don't know if it will get deleted with any tunes or not. Honestly, you dont notice it unless you are at a dead stop and floor it. You will notice it then. Normal driving you will never notice. If you know you are going to be punching it hold the brake, build some boost, then let it go.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Hi Tom!

I remember you from a few years back. Sorry you had all the issues. The V10 is a sweet engine. I bet if you sold that truck straight out, you'd have a line forming at your front door. My RV dealer raves about the smoothness of the V-10 and I know they're sought after.

Anyway, I've gone from my '08 6.4 250 to an '11 6.7 F350. Whoa son!! What a truck!

How does it compare to the 6.4? The 6.7 is a huge improvement in just about every category. "huge" is an understatement to describe the change. If you drive one, you will understand why we are raving about this truck.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The issues with the new truck have been few and mostly trivial. I had a fan clutch failure at 3000 miles. It was fixed immediately and without me losing use of the truck for more than 2 hours. There were some early issues with transportation damages going unnoticed and some DEF lines and trans lines needed replacing. The entire transmission issue was blown completely out of proportion on a different site. It was even posted that Ford had halted sales and production. A total lie. The nonsense continues over there. There was enough difference between production run transmissions and the development units to require some minor tweaking of the transmission software. The new flash that upped the horsepower and torque also addressed the trans issues. The new flash has received glowing praises. At the same site there has been a discussion regarding the new flash and problems. Another lie was told about the new flash being halted. For some reason, there are many people out there who want to see the new engine fail. There is enough concern by leery buyers to make their nonsense seem credible. There have been many guys, me included, who owned problem child 6.0 trucks that have made the hard decision to buy another Ford. I have not heard of one disappointed buyer in this group. These trucks are flying out of the dealerships. Ford is 35000 trucks behind in production. The fleet miles are pilong up quickly. There are hotshot delivery guys with 35000 miles and not a hiccup. If you are waiting until next spring to buy, the jury will have returned. It may be a little early to declare complete success but it is looking good. Over at the RVnet site, even the Dodge boys are worried

Regards

Old 09-21-2010, 05:10 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Well said Ricatic.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Thanks for all the input keep it coming.

sounds good so far

I have alway been a PSD fan
I have been buying a new truck every 3 to 4 years sense 93

Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
My truck does not have the idle limiter and has high idled for a max of +/- 35 minutes at once (lunch + nap). I keep up with this using the timer feature of the standard message center.

I have the 3.31 ratio and it laughs at an 18 ft equipment trailer with tractor (loader & backhoe). Mid 12 MPG range doing this but not wide open roads (slow drivers with alternating heavy/light foot, stop signs, hills, etc.).
If you're concerned, get the 3.55 and you'll be just fine for the limits of an SRW.

Daily driving averages around 15.5 (depends on where I eat for lunch).
Empty highway between 50 - 60 MPH for 100+ miles, 22.1-22.5.
Max ever recorded for a brief period (less than 5 miles) was 23.4 but I don't know if I could get it that high again. No one run off and say so-and-so gets 23.4 because good luck with that.
Interstate between 65-80 mph, 19.2 max (the 80 mph for many miles seems to really hurt MPG).

I didn't own a 6.4L but have driven them. The 6.7L sure is something else; for the better.

I am one who had a shifting issue (delay) from 2nd to 3rd (many times) and got stuck once in 5th in T/H mode. The transmission also shifted rough between gears. Received the flash this past Friday and I feel like I have a new truck. I'm very happy with how the transmission shifts now even with less than 200 miles on the flash.
The only other small "concern" I have currently is a random ticking noise which some say is normal and some are not so sure. Time will tell with this and there are no adverse effects.

I have more than enough power for my needs.
No tuners for me.

The 6.7L does have a slight delay but nothing like I also experienced driving the 6.4L. I hardly notice it 99% of the time. Now if you WOT every time you put your foot on the pedal, then maybe it will annoy someone but I don't drive like that so I don't know.

Time will tell but so far, these trucks are great and for those owners who have had a few advanced issues, I'm impressed with how Ford has and is responding.

If you decide to make the move, I know you'll be happy.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Same here, I had an '08 6.4 and it was a great truck. My 6.4 was as perfect as could be for over 150,000 miles.

Now the 6.7? Holy cow! You will feel a lag if you slam the throttle, but if you get going about 10mph and then take it to the floor, look out. Tires will spin and if traction control is not on and you are turning a corner, you will flip it around.

My truck has already towed a 16K fifth wheel trailer load with the 3.55 and it is not possible to compare it to a 6.4. Much more power and it comes smoooooooth. Manners once rolling are the same as older SD's (which is great) and braking is just a good too.

8700 miles on mine so far. I generally average 10.5-12 mpg towing, any weight and size. Unloaded, I can't offer anything different than kper posts.

You need to drive one. It's like the turbo is not even there, just plain torque and grunt.

I think the seats are better than the '08-'10's but that's an opinion that comes with a wide variety. Some guys hate the seats. Some complain about less room. Personally, I think the interior is much improved.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
I agree with ruschejj's post except for this one part:

Originally Posted by ruschejj
It's like the turbo is not even there
my turbo is definitely there . I think he meant that there's no turbo lag, waiting for the oomph to develop. I agree with that for sure. The new twin vane venturi setup acts like a twin turbo - one vane for low RPMs, one for high. That said, you *will* notice the rush of power as you get into higher RPMs. There is plenty available low in the powerband (max tq at 1600rpm!) but it doesn't fall off nearly as fast as older PSDs IMO.

I have been anticipating my purchase of this truck for months. Drooling and waiting for the right deal. I've had it 2.5 weeks and 1300 miles. I'm smitten

Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 AM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
I had a 2008 F250 that I absolutely loved. I had the original teething pains with it since mine was an early pre-order, but after those were worked out it was a great truck. Towed like a dream.

Well if the 08 pulls like a dream, the 11 pulls like a _wet_ dream. It is amazingly quiet, and has low end grunt like the 08 wishes it could have. Shifting is extremely smooth. I'll hit a 6% grade while in 6th gear, and the next time I look down I'll be in 5th chugging along at 75MPH... effortlessly. It shifts so smooth and the engine is so quiet, sometimes it's hard to catch when it downshifts.

The truck is an all-around upgrade. One thing that really surprised me though was the 250 has much smaller spring packs that previous years. It's definitely much smoother which I'm actually happy about because I am off-road a significant amount of time, but I'm having to order airbags to get the ride close to level. 600lbs will drop my rear end 2" and my trailers tongue weight is much heavier than that. It still rides well even with the sag.

Also, the fan doesn't seem to come on as quickly as my 2008 did. There is a nice 6% grade not far from my house and the 2008's fan would kick in high gear as I would get close to the top every time. I never heard the fan even make the slightest noise on the 2011. This was with 100 degree temps. I'll have to get it out a bit more, this was just a quick test run now that I have enough milage to tow(and the 2.5" reducer).

Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 AM
PHXDiesel
Senior User
Just one more thing I wanted to throw in there since you owned a 2008. The regen mode is an entirely new experience. Gone are the days of the goofy idle and the lower power when regenerating. You can't even tell when it's cleaning itself unless you're watching the instant mileage screen.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:26 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
God I can't wait..mine will be here By 3 week in Oct.. then

Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PHXDiesel
Just one more thing I wanted to throw in there since you owned a 2008. The regen mode is an entirely new experience. Gone are the days of the goofy idle and the lower power when regenerating. You can't even tell when it's cleaning itself unless you're watching the instant mileage screen.
Exactly. I forgot to even mention this too. Regen is truly something that is extremely hard to detect whether it is happening or not. I know for a fact that I miss half of them, and I'm ok with that. On my '08 it was such an event, so seemingly severe I felt like I needed to drive and get it over with asap so it could stop. Now, I really don't care how often or when it happens. It's nice.

Now if I can get to 45,000 miles without having to replace the radiator, I'll be completely sold.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj

Now if I can get to 45,000 miles without having to replace the radiator, I'll be completely sold.
By 45K I had 2 radiators,thermostats,egr coolers,water pump,front and rear calipers. I swear that stuff takes it's toll on the enging in the long run.
I'm hopeing for the best too on this one I got coming.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "gushing" factor on these trucks has required a new scale. In all the looking around I have done, only one guy was unhappy. He wanted even better mileage.

OK, there are some of us unhappy about the 26 gallon fuel tank on the short box. I do not complain much though. I knew it when I bought it.

Quick Reply: HERE WE GO AGAIN