1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

AFTERMARKET COP Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to help you out. Good luck with them. If you are as happy as I am with them you will enjoy many trouble free miles.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM
la90043
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to confuse anyone with what product is "TOP NOTCH". I bought 8 Accel Cops 2 years ago and not one cop has failed. 2001 F150 runs great. Idle is as stable as can be. acceleration is as smoothe as can be.

Originally Posted by simptek
I haven't seen many threads about people using the MSD or ACCEL COPS as replacements or upgrades. Is it worth doing? Will they last? Who has done it and what were your experiences with them? I own a 99 F150, 5.4 Triton and have replaced a coil here and there over the years and wanted to make a big swing at it and replace all 8 at the same time. Do I replace them all with some AutoZone/Advance Auto parts remake or do I go with one of the reputable ignition companies like:
MSD Ford Coil on Plug SOHC 4.6L & 5.4L 2V Single - 8242
or
ACCEL
FORD 2 VALVE COIL KIT-8 PACK (140032-8) | ford coils | ACCEL
or even
GRANATELLI Loading...

I know that all have different specs so.... What are the facts?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:33 PM
wallew
Senior User
KINGRANCHMAN02,

Finally, someone besides ME has used the Performance Distributors SOS coils.

When I replaced the COPS in my 07 Dodge Magnum with it's 5.7 Hemi, the difference was startling.

I have to be really careful with my foot starting out or I brake loose the rear tires.

They are going on my 05 Excursion Limited V10 here in the coming weeks. Slowly upgrading from stock. First round was fluids. Next round will be engine upgrades and brakes.

Last will be the entertainment portion of the truck.

YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH Performance Distributor SOS COP's And for less than $400 for 10? PFFFTT you even save money.

You use the same plugs, only gap them to 65 (as opposed to the stock gap of 35) AND with the additional power to the plugs (60% more than stock) you reap all sorts of benefits.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Got news for those who get caught up in higher voltage marketing for coils used in stock engines.
Technical:
At the plug gap, the fuel to air mixture normally only requires about 7 to 10,000 volts to breakdown the mixture and start the combustion kernal. This is a function of the number of Molecules in that gap space at that time.
What determines the voltage at breakdown is controlled by this and cylinder pressures at any given time.
If the mixture is leaner the voltage required is become greater.
The example of this is when the EGR system is called into play during cruise conditions.
At this time the A/F can go over 20 to 1 so voltage requirements can rise to over 20,000 volts to maintain reliable firing of this very lean mixture. Note; a larger plug gap may produce misfires under these conditions.
Note: a by product of sparking is the erosion of metal from the plug tip as the same process that goes on in Arc Welding and why plugs need to be replaced over time.
The stock coils are designed to have a reserve voltage well above this point unless they develop shorted turns in their windings that reduce the possible reserve voltage.
At the normal variable sparking points; once the spark jumps the plug gap the voltage from the coils are ...quenched...... and stop at that point. Said another way the high voltage that could have been developed is wasted.
Bottom line is more voltage does not equate to more power....>> unless<<.. there was 'already' a fault present before the coil was replaced then it looks like 'circumstantial' evidence.
Widening the plug gap will aggravate a problem with a faulty coil in a stock engine. In some cases a wider gap may result is a small improvement in smoothness by changing the amount of mixture residing in the gap at sparking time. It all becomes a compromise of sorts.
And yes a coil that truly has higher output may be able to fire a wider gap in some engines but the point is in a stock engine as designed does not require higher coil outputs.
These coils, as deigned, have been used in Ford products since as far back as 1990 in these engine designs, and have a greater history than aftermarket offerings and are still supplied as stock equipment on Ford assembly lines for the last 25 years.
Do they fail? yes as any part may over the long term. Same as tire, shocks, brakes and any other parts.
The coils live a harsh life on top of the motor with all the heat and are repeatedly heat cycled every time the engine is started plus having to handle accumulated heat from the exhaust manifolds at shut down until the heat eventually dissipates from no forced air circulation from the fan or vehicle movement.
Good luck.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM
wallew
Senior User
Got news for those who get caught up in higher voltage marketing for coils used in stock engines.

SO what you are basically saying is, given that I'm swapping in BANKS headers with the modified Y-pipe and adding a 5StarTuner with the 91 Octane programming, that the hotter coils MAY actually make use of the extra parts and the modified programming I'm getting ready to add.

THANKS FOR THAT INFO!!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
On a modified engine your on your own.
You don't know unless you do an A-B testing under the prevailing conditions.
My reply above was for coils on a stock engine.
The level of parts performance was worked out for a fixed known engine design plus a little safety factor for tolerance performance and reliability over a reasonable life term.
When you start modifying you have to accept what comes, identify an issue and make changes if something does not work well.
For example on a blown engine if you run lean and burn plugs do you blame it on not enough fuel, do you go the a colder plug, is ignition timing incorrect or any combination of those possibilities?
You have to be a where of all the dynamics when you play like that.
It just not a matter of bolting parts together off different versions of the engines in the same family and adding some outside modifications without solving for the total outcome.
This includes some idea of when you reach your goal for performance, reliability, cost etc. This is part of the factory offering before the vehicle goes on sale for each model.
You normally don't have that much luxury and go hopefully for luck and some level of satisfaction until you decide where the limit is..

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
I had not mentioned recently that I do not test coils but have had the experience of trying ACELL coils long ago and lost everyone over less than a years time and ended back with Ford OEM coils.
The motor has no mods of any kind and is now going for 265,000 miles with no end in sight.
For reference the oil pressure on an external gauge as observed for the last 12 years is 75 on cold starts, 50 running at 2000 rpm and 25 at hot idle for the age of this 4.6L.
Good luck.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wallew
[B]
SO what you are basically saying is, given that I'm swapping in BANKS headers with the modified Y-pipe and adding a 5StarTuner with the 91 Octane programming, that the hotter coils MAY actually make use of the extra parts and the modified programming I'm getting ready to add.
!!
Not sure what you mean by a "hotter" coil, but bluegrass is trying to save you some money. If it takes, say, 10k volts to jump the spark plug gap, how are you going to force the coil to put out more voltage to jump the gap?

Now if, say you have added a supercharger, AND the stock coil can't jump the gap. a better coil MAY make a difference.

If you want to experiment (and learn something), buy a "hotter" coil and install it and find someone that can scope the ignition secondary on an oscilloscope and see if they can show you which coil is "hotter" on the scope trace.

Note that below abut 1200 rpm Ford fires the coils multiple times (similar to an MSD system) but at higher rpm it takes longer to saturate the coil and spark duration becomes more important than multiple strikes. You don't want the strategy to over heat the "hotter" coils or they won't last very long.

Let us know what you do and how it works for you.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:25 PM
dubbaKlutch
New User
2000 F150 5.4 2v, after 80,000 miles one original COP started misfiring (#3 on OBD). Replaced all with MSD COPs and Motorcraft plugs. Prefer Motorcraft but MSD was cheaper. No problems after 5k miles. Kept all old parts just in case.