Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
fordpowerstroke444
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front suspension question

I have a 2000 F250 Crew cab short box 4x4,7.3,automatic.I just scored a sweet deal on a western V-PLOW.My truck already sits about 2.5 inches lower in the front.Ive read that putting lift blocks in the front is not recommended.Anyone know why?Its just those front suspension leveling kits are more money than the "WARDEN"(my wife) will agree to spend.But if its gotta be spent,then its gotta be spent.Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blocks in the front allow the axle to twist under the springs. If they twist far enough, and they can with the weight of that heavy diesel, braking and cornering, the axle can come loose. The added leverage of the blocks on the u-bolts can stretch them to failure.

Here is what I would do. I would get one of the leveling kits that has drop brackets for the springs, or get a leveling kit that has 3 add-a-leafs. These leafs are soft enough not to destroy the ride and only add an inch or two. Summit racing has this kit.
The drop brackets should get you 2 to 2.5".

Keep your eyes open. I have seen these kits cheap, especially used (craigslist).

My front springs are National 4" front springs that I wasn't even looking for. I was at a swap meet and got the pair for $100.

I tried procomp front springs (very stiff) and a single add-a-leaf front (not enough lift) and am happiest with the National springs.

I never tried the drop brackets but have heard good things since your ride stays almost the same. (same springs).

Anyway, good luck.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:13 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts