1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

So let me ask this (ball joint/unit bearing)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So let me ask this (ball joint/unit bearing)

Since I'm getting ready to take the front end apart to replace the ball joints, can/is there, a place I could drill and tap near the abs sensor to put a zerk on it to grease the bearings without pulling the abs sensor out to do it? Just a thought. I have a 48 hour period next week I don't need the truck so I won't mind the extra work....It will probably take me 36 to do the ball joints!!!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 AM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ball joints

Never thought about tapping the housing. I would guess the best way to figure that out is if you can get your hands on an old worn out one, tear it apart and look for a good location for a zerk.

The ball joints aren't as bad as you might think, took me about 3 hours a side last winter, even with sending the wife to the hardware store to get parts for my home made seal seat tool. I went with Ed's kit, just for the reason that it has every single seal and clip included, and the OEM ones are greasable now.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
caverjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started to say did you mean 36min. They really arent as bad as you think. Two people and a long rock bar worked great the last time I did mine. My dad had about a 6+ foot rock bar that I was able to get in there and put some pressure on while he hit with a hammer. Poped right off. Course I have done it like 3 or 4 times now. Good thing I bought the lifetime Mouges once.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Personally I don't think I would drill and tap for a zerk, it is easy enough to pull the abs sensor to grease it. I would also be worried about over greasing it since you can't see what you are doing and this could cause your seals to blow out.