Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Getting pretty angry, need some input

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Gotitcheap90
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting pretty angry, need some input

I have a 1990 f250 4x4 with the 3850 twin I beam front axle.

At first the front wheels when standing in front of the truck were more in at the tops. Like leaning in at the top of the tire. So i figured bad ball joints. well I lifted the truck off the ground and took a long bar and put it under tire to see if i could get the ball joints to move. And nothing moved at all so I noticed the wheels bearings were hammered so i replaced all of them and it helped a little but now after putting a homemade leveling kit 1.5 inches up front the tires are completely the opposite, the driver side is super out at the top like to look at it youd think the upper balljoint broke and the passenger side isnt as bad but i think ya get the point, so i figured id soke all four ball joints in wd-40 and PB blaster to maybe loosen them up well took her around the block today after soaking all night and still when you try checking them there all tight and when standing in front of the truck the tires look like this "V"..... What could be going wrong here ? I really dont wanna drive it until its figured out just incase something could brake and cuase an accident.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one thint to watch with TTB or its 2wd version is f the truck's been pulled forward in the parking spot or backed in - when you go in reverse the tires will do in at the top (like this /-o-\ ) even tho while you drive normally (moving forward obviously) they are straight vertical. It's just the way the suspension is designed, and it's really no big deal, as long as it does it only while or after it's been driven in reverse. If you wanna check the real camber angles you have to drive the truck forward some then park it and then go look, no backing up or even lifting wheels off the ground! I'm thinking your balljoints are fine, but now your "leveling" kit effed up your camber cause it pushed the ends of the beams down while the pivots remained at the same position. There is some adjustment in the upper ball joints, so you may be able to correct for the camber from there without replacing anything, but you may also end up needing to buy and aftermarket eccentric sleeve setup if the factory adjustment range ain't wide enough...

Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Gotitcheap90
Freshman User
okay, well everytime I have looked its been after just pulling straight up the driveway and putting here in park, also when i go down the road i have looked a few times and i can see the wheel still leaning.

Now to adjust it in stock form what do I do ???

thanks

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
IFS front axles are very sensetive to suspension height.

Normally when driven straight forward the front tire should sit straight up and down | | or very slightly / \. Negative camber.

BY the time you have it sitting like \ / you have increased the spring height more than you can adjust the camber bushings to get it back in alignment.

Look at front lift kits for IFS front axles.

There is a reason they cost close to 1000 dollars.

If you put 4" higher springs, the inner pivots for the axle have to be spaced down 4" for the axle to work and look right.
Your tire wear with the tires sitting like that will be terrible.

If you are looking at the springs thinking you need a lift, they are negative arch springs.
Supposed to be higher in the center than the ends are like a frown.
They looked like that when they were brand new still on the transport delivering them to the dealer in 1989 or 1990.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
i love my dana 60, as long as i dont rotate the yoke up or down it is hard to mess with alignment! haha. When i had a 49 ****** pickup a long time ago, my dad and i flipped the springs and rotated the front axle to meet the angle better for the new driveshaft and when i would turn it looked like a grader, the thing that flattens roadways, the tires leaned all the way over all crazy. hahaha.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
Twin I beams are a trip we lifted one at a shop I worked at and after an hour of watching the guys that did the lifts there trying to figure out what was going on I walked over and told them it was suposed to do that it was hillarious. Idealy sittinf sill after pulling foward you ant some negative camber/\ as you drive forward the front end lifts up and they straighten out when you drive backwards the front end drops and they will angle in everso sligtly ditch the home made leveling kit if the tops are still angled out \/ check the pivoit bushings.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 PM
George D.
Posting Guru
oops its a 4x4 TTB check the enter suport bushing after ditching the leveling kit