1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

after the swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 AM
31 swfl
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after the swap

I'm starting to have problems with the dualmass flywheel.nothing major yet works ok but starting to get noisy.question is how long have you had your single mass and any problems if any?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:46 AM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 31 swfl
I'm starting to have problems with the dualmass flywheel.nothing major yet works ok but starting to get noisy.question is how long have you had your single mass and any problems if any?
I never had a DMF. When I put in the manual I had a SMF to go in at that time. Everyone else adamantly says that the DMF is destined to fail and were poorly made. Everyone also seems to widely hail a couple of soild mass units as the best. I'll let those with that info chime in. As for mine... The SMF allows you to hear a lot of noise that the DMF absorbs. The most common complaint is that it makes your truck sound like a real turd. I know what to expect and I still hate listening to it.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i bought my truck this past december it had already had the SMF swap and i thought it was all good, no complaints. i did my Valair clutch i had dropped the tranny to find the smf already in there which i was unawar of. so i said screw it ill just put in the single mass i had bought from valair in there any way. my tranny has so much rattling now and its litterally driving me insane. 1000 miles so far and its still rattleing, the old one didnt?? i just rolled 160k saturday so thats not to many miles on it.

some trucks give off different symptoms, i just got porked thats all. BTW, mine only rattles at neutral with the clutch out or at a light or something. never hear it any other time.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jacob, did you ever overfill your trans to quiet it down some???

I have had my DMF for almost 70k miles now... Only problem that i had was with the clutch fork being worn out and blowing up my slave cylinder all the time...

Sometimes the DMF will allow vibrations from the crank to travel into the trans and make a growling sound.. This can be helped by overfilling your trans with an extra quart of fluid through the shifter hole(maybe a fuzz more if you want).

Look into Valair Inc for your SMF..

Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Jacob, did you ever overfill your trans to quiet it down some???

I have had my DMF for almost 70k miles now... Only problem that i had was with the clutch fork being worn out and blowing up my slave cylinder all the time...

Sometimes the DMF will allow vibrations from the crank to travel into the trans and make a growling sound.. This can be helped by overfilling your trans with an extra quart of fluid through the shifter hole(maybe a fuzz more if you want).

Look into Valair Inc for your SMF..
Yeah I overfilled mine some. It's not too terribly bad but I still don't like listening to it sometimes. Mine's not near as bad either as a few I've heard. There's a guy where I live who has a SMF in his for many 1000's of miles now and it just sounds terrible but only until you give it the slightest bit of throttle. But then there's other guys who it went away for after a short break in period.