Bone Yard Etiquette.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bone Yard Etiquette.

Ok,
__what is written here is not to start a debate on how one already behaves at a yard.
But used to improve one's behavior, & time spent at the yard.
There will be no finger-pointing or fighting here.
Only comments or questions needed, are ones in relation to these rules.
Not to be used as ammo for arguments.
Remember- were here to learn, not to fight.

Bone Yard
Etiquette

Rules oneself should follow when at a bone-yard.

#.Start by writing a list of needs, & wants down.

#.If possible, try to call the yard to find out if the part/s you want are there.

#.Wear clothes that can get stained, or torn.
Be sure to put on a good set of boots with long socks, if going to yard that isn’t paved or has gravel lanes.
This is to protect you from all that may come In contact with that can creep, crawl, or slither.

#.Learn/plan on how to remove the part/s that you will be needing.
(This will aid you on what tools & supplies you’ll need.)

#.Bring tools, & penetrating oil/s that you’ll need in removal of such part/s.

#.Should you not have the tools/time to get the part you want, call the bone-yard to find out if they can remove the part for you.

#.Don’t forget to bring a simple field First-Aid kit.
-Distilled water {for things like eye-rinse, or rinsing dirt out of wounds.},
Neosporin {for cuts, scrapes, & burns.},
Antibiotic rinse {hydrogen peroxide, or Isopropyl alcohol.},
Gauze, Cotton-*****, Q-tips, Medical tape, Band-aids,
Aspirin/Ibuprofen {in labeled bottle}, Bug bite ointment, good set of Tweezers, & Stainless-steel Scissors.-

#.If planning on being at the bone-yard for more than 4-hrs. Bring a few energy snacks, & something to drink. So you can keep a focused mind on your task.

#.Arrive at the bone-yard with at least an hour or more of time needed to get your parts.
(So if your estimate is for it to take 3-hrs, to get what you need. Plan on 4-hrs, or more.)

#.When you arrive at the bone-yard be sure to park you vehicle &/or trailer in a place where you can load your parts, & tools easily without possibly damaging others vehicles.
Even if it is a little farther than you like to be. We all want to enjoy our day at the bone-yard with-out incidents, or insurance claims.

#.When getting the part you want, be sure to take time to disassemble properly.
-Avoid cutting wires, breaking/bending things.
Remember that others, or yourself may want the part that is next/connected/beyond the one your getting.

#.When finished with a vehicle be sure to close it up (if possible), so to help keep the weather out. In so, that the interior/under-hood parts can be kept the way you found them.

#.Should one follow these rules of etiquette, your visits to the yard can be more enjoyable for oneself & others.

:Notes:
_I can only hope that people that can take these Rules of Bone Yard Etiquette to heart.
& help bring back the self-service bone yard in greater numbers.

A lot of the self-service yards are going to the wayside. Due to certain people choosing not to use, or knowing of these rules. So the yard owners are being forced ether get more insurance, & cover losses (due to improperly removed parts, “broken stuff“) or make it a non-self service yard. Ether one makes the owner raise prices to cover cost's of any said choice.
I'm sure there are more reasons for yard closings, made non-self service, & prices going up. What I have stated is just a short list; of sorts.

A-many happy parts hunting to you all.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:14 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not too many u pull-it's around here mostly due to the insurance most likely. Many of the yard workers do the damage to parts they consider unimportant like wiring and piping. I definitely agree with all you state though...

Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fellro86
Not too many u pull-it's around here mostly due to the insurance most likely. Many of the yard workers do the damage to parts they consider unimportant like wiring and piping. I definitely agree with all you state though...
X2 .........The biggest damagers to salvage yard wrecks are the yard workers, not the pick and pull customers.......Their tools of choice are sawsalls, hot saws, torches, air chisels, large hammers and pry bars.......anything else that gets damaged in the retrieval of engines and transmissions is of no concern.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:04 PM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And bring wasp killer, there is always going to be a wasp nest by at least one thing you want. And definitely ask how they feel about cutting wires. And make sure you are in the correct place for pulling parts, there are some places they have cars they don't want stripped. And make sure you know their hours and bring a watch, I've gone to places before when they opened and stayed past their closing time and got locked in

Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Old93junk
X2 .........The biggest damagers to salvage yard wrecks are the yard workers, not the pick and pull customers.......Their tools of choice are sawsalls, hot saws, torches, air chisels, large hammers and pry bars.......anything else that gets damaged in the retrieval of engines and transmissions is of no concern.

True,
__points. All the reason to try the self-service yards.
More parts available to the end consumer.

But remember there are some yards that work on using as much of a salvage auto as they can.
Usually, there more on the $$$ side. But can be worth it in a pinch.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Yes,
__bug killers can be a idem that one may need to include in yard'ng tools.

Sometimes in a pinch I use my propane torch & starting fluid.
(if doing something this stupid @ least put the straw on. it helps keep the flame out of the nozzle momentarily.)

Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's no yards around here anymore that will let you pull your own part ,so i don't have to worry about being a good boy anymore . hades most of 'em knew me anyway so i could just be my usual pain in the butt self and we'd all laugh when something fell on my hard head ......................

Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Been making a list of things I need for my VW Rabbit,,, and this has some great ideas!!

The First Aid kit being my fav!! Duh!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 AM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Oddly,
__enough that first-aid kit never comes to mind when yard'ng.
Until your day is cut short by bleeding all-over that part you only got half-way out.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Most of the boneyards around here are turning into used auto parts stores.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Sadly my favorite junkyards are closing as well, just the crappy ones are left. So what pre 80 stuff I do find I rip all the usable parts off I can.

One that was kinda far away from me was closing so I got up there and got as much FE stuff I could, still didn't get it all, I could have stayed there a week taking parts off.

One of the funniest things was I went to a national Falcon meet and we ended up going to a junkyard with a bunch of old cars. Well I found a perfect trunk lid for my 61 Mercury when I walked back to the trucks with it everyone was asking me what the hood was for. I love having huge cars

A first aid kit would be a good idea, I've hurt myself more then a few times falling in or out of vehicles. I usually just find a close car with grease and rub that on the wound(s).

Old 08-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
We still have several good pick and pull yards here..........only problem is, they are filled with late 90s/early 2000s plastic, disposable cars.......worth nothing to me.

Sadly, there is very little "heavy metal" left out there to scavenge, and what there is has been picked to the bone.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Keystonepaul
Junior User
harry's U-pull it is less than 45 minutes away- havent been there since I've bought my 97 F250 so I'm kinda itchen to get there and see what they've got in older Fords. Never did notice them when I didn't own one. We'll see. Keystonepaul

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
according to a freind in peoria , the only good yard that had any " heavy metal " , and it at one time was full of stuff from the 30's up , has crushed pretty much everything in it , callears , in farmington il , and is pretty much like the rest now . late model plastic crap . the powers that be up in that area closed down a real treasure trove in spring bay that had been in operation for years , it was a square mile in all directions , and was only 1 of 4 yards he had , and were plum full of old stuff . he never had the proper permits when it was started eons ago in the 30's or 40's, thats how they closed him down and crushed it all . i never cry over gm's but it was hard to watch old impala ss's and such along with our beloved old fords get destroyed due to some government a--hole with an erection for cleaning up his area . now so many valuable parts are gone the way of the dodo bird ......................

Old 09-07-2010, 02:38 PM
crazedfox
More Turbo
Same,
__is happening all over the country.
Good yards closing due to Gov. double standards.

It's bad enough that "rare steel" is getting even more rare by the day,
without this happening.

Quick Reply: Bone Yard Etiquette.