1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Compass calibration frustration

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 04:40 PM
jimliazo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compass calibration frustration:
I recently purchased a 1999 Expedition. Nice. I've tried many times to calibrate the compass, following the instructions in the manual, but without success. Following the steps, I get all the way through to starting my slow driving circles. During the first couple of circles, the compass finds the correct directions and all looks like it's going well. Then CAL turns off and the directions flip 180 degress wrong at the same time. Over and over again. That is, as I'm circling, the compass is reading correctly E, NE, N, NW, W, etc., lookin' good, then it thinks its done and for some reason flips the directions. That W suddenly becomes E. Dang it! I've tried circling left, circling right, etc. This is out in a rather undeveloped area, no structures at all for several hundred feet. No everhead wires. I've read and followed the steps over and over, without success. Ideas? TIA jhorecka@pe.net

Old 09-17-2001, 06:32 PM
Boxter
Junior User

Hate to say it, but you have a bad compass. Question, when you enter the code (prior to driving in circles) does that information stay correct? If so, you are close to perfect in the settings. The driving in circles "fine tunes" the settings.

I had the same issue in my 2001. I had to have the entire compass replaced. Have not had a problem since (well atleast with the compass)

Old 09-21-2001, 02:24 AM
QwestMT
New User