Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD box cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MSD box cuts out

so i got an msd 6al ignition box recently and have been loving it until recently. sometimes it falls flat on its face under a little harder acceleration i notice when i rev it and hold the throttle at one position in natural it revs up and cuts out for a second then kicks back in, im not describing a rev limiter cuz i have a 2 step with the clutch in its set at 3000rpm and the clutch out its set to 5800. if i give it more throttle it revs up higher and cuts out and does the same thing no matter the rpm or throttle position i think because its wired a little ways away from the coil is why it does it because as soon as i bypass the msd box it works normally. can it also be the box? where have you all mounted your ignition boxs because i cant seem to find any place near the coil to mount it

Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 AM
lew52
Postmaster
I never used a 2 step limiter , might try to unhook it & see if theres any differance , check the conections where it hooks to the battary , i mounted mine to the inside fender next to the solinoid , but i don't drive it in bad weather , you can mount it in the cab under the dash on the front part of the trans tunnle....could just be a bad box ? ....Lew

Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Duramaxfanatic1
Senior User
i thought i had a solid connection i had ran 10ga wire directly from the battery and crimped the connections but soldering the connections made the problem go away so thanks for the suggestion it seemed to do the trick. also i had mounted mine on the inside fender by the ecm connection threw the firewall but there just has to be a better place