Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

electric fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Nashorn
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I found this while searching for information about converting from a mechanical lift pump to an electric one. I discovered that my lift pump is leaking and am trying to make the decision on whether or not to convert over to an electric pump.

I'm wondering if after all this time that any of you had run into any problems with your conversions.

Thank you for your time.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Scratcher
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nashorn
Hey guys, I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I found this while searching for information about converting from a mechanical lift pump to an electric one. I discovered that my lift pump is leaking and am trying to make the decision on whether or not to convert over to an electric pump.

I'm wondering if after all this time that any of you had run into any problems with your conversions.

Thank you for your time.
My Duralift 40285 is still running perfectly after 3 years

Dura Lift Pumps | Motor Components, LLC | Facet Purolator

Install guide: How to replace your mechanical fuel pump with a Facet Duralift electric fuel pump

Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Nashorn
New User
Wow. Thank you!

The wiring part terrifies me, but I'll give it a go.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:51 PM
street rodder
Senior User
I went ahead and got the Motorcraft pump. Wanted something that was going to be reliable.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:00 PM
gfemling
New User
Well, maybe this aspect of the mechanical lift pump has been covered elsewhere but will add a comment to this thread concerning my experience with the mechanical lift pump and an observed weakness which i don't see discussed-- worn out drive eccentric/ cam lobes. I am into my engine and discovered significant wear on the lift lobe of the fuel lift pump drive cam-- enough to perhaps degrade the pumping ability of the mechanical pump. And the bummer is that these items are no longer available from Ford or International; did find a NOS source but prohibitively expensive at $250. So appears alternatives are go electric (which I probably will be doing) or try finding a cam grinder to build up the worn lobe and regrinding back to original profile.
Wondering if anyone has gone the regrind route?
And wonder if there are some users of mechanical lift pumps that unknowingly are fighting a "flat" cam lobe which is contributing to their lift pump problems??

Old 07-31-2017, 10:39 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
How do you know the cam lobe is so worn? Do you have another one to compare it to?

Old 04-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Chevy guy 01
New User
Thread Resurrection sorry, this info is exactly what I'm looking for, just bought my first truck also my first diesel 93 f350 crew cab long box 4x4 4 spd automatic with 7.3 idi , hard starting issue found the air leak in the return line on driver's side by the fire wall , having trouble getting it to seal, I plan on switching to an epump , sounds like the facet dura lift is a good one, ok so my questions do I need to put an extra filter in line before the epump ? Also where have you mounted the pumps( I was wondering if I could mount it between the fuel tank switch on the frame and the motor to pull fuel through the switch and still be able to use both tanks, wiring I don't understand fully yet but I'm sure I can figure that part out, or would it be better to eliminate one of the tanks and take the switch out and mount pump as close to the tank as possible?

Old 04-27-2018, 03:04 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
Thats where my Epump is, right below the drivers seat in the frame rail after the tank selector valve but before the engine. It will pull fuel out of whichever tank is selected on the dash as long as the valve works, so no changes there.

i don’t think you need a filter before the epump. The fuel just goes through the filter in the engine and after 100k miles, no trouble with my Epump. That Epump should be fine as long as there’s not a whole lot of trash getting into the line from the tank.

Just keep in mind that if your mechanical pump is still hooked up and it fails, it may pump diesel into the engine oil as I have experienced this and heard others mention it on this forum. They recommend taking it off to prevent this as you will not know it’s putting diesel in the oil unless you check the oil regularly and notice the oil level rising (or staying full on a truck that burns oil).

Just an FYI, My Epump has outlived 2 mechanical pumps so it seems fairly reliable. I kept my mechanical pump on but I’m not going to recommend it.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Chevy guy 01
New User
Thanks for the reply sounds great , I already plan o. Replacing both tank the front leaks from the bottom and the back you can only fill half way because it leaks around the seam, so the tanks should be fine as far as debris go, n yes I planned on removing the mechanical pump n using a block plate, I have had the issue before years ago and filled the lower end of a 350 with gas lol lesson learned, was thinking of also putting a fuel pressure regulator by the filter head just to be sure I don't over pressure the system

Old 04-27-2018, 09:11 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
I just looked up the dura lift pump and I like it. It’s different then mine and appears to have a little cleanable filter strainer which is cool. Mine is just a cheap plunger style pump that just makes a slow tapping noise that’s a low volume low pressure pump (like 3- 5psi) I installed mainly to prime up to the filter housing when I happen to get air in there. I didn't put a fuel filter on with this pump but I do not know if the pump your getting will require one.

The only thing that concerns me if I’m looking at the right pump is the little plastic filter hanging below it. I am the KING of hitting debris in the road at night and I feel I’d knock that little plastic filter clean off! I would try to make a guard or something so it doesn’t get hit unless it tucks really good in the frame rail or other location safe from road debris.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:04 PM
DrCharles
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My Facet/Duralift 40285 has that setup. Many people (including me) make a simple bracket and mount them on the right inner fender. They are rated to suck much higher in the air than the foot or two required on our trucks (used on reefer units). And you can also look at the bowl and screen to see if there's any crud building up in it, too.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Chevy guy 01
New User
Never thought of making a gaurd for it, good idea will have to do that, personally I would rather have it mounted on the frame rails gives extra room when working on the engine nothing more in the way to move

Old 07-14-2020, 12:02 AM
blk_sheep
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had my lift pump start leaking after i rebuilt the trans
whats the total budget on this conversion?
Having read the thread im sold
Im just praying to baby mecha jesus that i havent ruined my bearings

Old 07-14-2020, 12:55 AM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
my old Mechanical Rebuildable Carter pump has been going strong for over 20 years now. kits are pretty cheap.......

I have a spare if I need it.... I see no reason to complicate a mechanical system with another electrical device .... JMHO

Old 07-14-2020, 03:24 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lonewolf_
my old Mechanical Rebuildable Carter pump has been going strong for over 20 years now. kits are pretty cheap.......

I have a spare if I need it.... I see no reason to complicate a mechanical system with another electrical device .... JMHO
This, most mechanical pumps from the auto parts stores are throwaways. I had three oreilly pumps last only a year, I'm running a Napa now but it looks identical and I plan on getting the rebuild able Carter next time and three or so kits to last the lifetime of the truck just incase.

Personally I've never had an electric pump on my idi that would flow enough fuel since our pumps use high return volume to keep them cool, injectors as well. I haven't personally tried the faucet duralift, I had a faucet cube given to me but after some study it appears it won't have enough flow.

Quick Reply: electric fuel pump