1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1988 Ranger 2.9 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 PM
kenworthfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 Ranger 2.9 not starting

I usually hang around the f150 forums but I have ran into some problems on my Ranger. I installed a sunpro tach in it last week and went to start it and it would just crank and crank and not start. I tested the ignition module and it was bad so i replaced it. There is no spark at the coil, but I also tested it and it is fine. I disconnected the tach as soon as it wouldnt start and still nothing. When I put a test light on the positive side of the coil it is a solid flow of current. I heard it is supposed to flash. Is this true? And if it is What could cause this? It smells like fuel after it cranks over also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you verify that the injectors are pulsing?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 PM
kenworthfan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im sorry I didnt get back on here sooner. I put a new plug on the wires that plug into the coil because it looked pretty rough. Still wouldnt start. So a few days later when I got time I borrowed my buddies test light for the injectors to test if they were pulsing. I plugged it in and had my dad turn the truck over.. It fired right up! With one of the injectors unplugged even. I think that between the coil plug in and fixing the ignition module that fixed the problem but it was just flooded by the time it would have started. It has started every time since then which has been awhile now so I would think everything is good. Thanks for the help though Lead Head.