Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wicked Wheel Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 AM
james.mcafee1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked Wheel Upgrade

I have a 2000 F350 I just bought last month. This is my first PSD. It has 287K miles on it, runs, starts and pulls good, and is all stock. I'm starting to make upgrades. Just got a 4 inch mandrel bent exhaust from Warpspeed. Before I install that, with that many miles, should I install a wicked wheel in the turbo or go a little further with a BDF 1.0 housing with their compressor wheel?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for and how you are going to use it. The 'WW' or 94.5-Early 99 compressor wheel is to help cure surge issues and won't yield any performance gains. The 1.0 A/R housing is a nice upgrade, but do you plan on getting a chip? Either way, I would go ahead and install the exhaust whenever you want.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:37 AM
james.mcafee1
New User
My heaviest use is in the summer about once a week pulling tandem dual goosneck trailer with two tractors on it (about 17,000 lb combo of trailer and load). Other upgrades planned after exhaust and WW (if needed) are gauges (EGT,Trans Temp, and pyrometer), AFE intake, a DP tuner, and BTS valve body in that order. If you think I need the WW or more for the occasional heavy pulling, I thought it may be best to do that while the exhaust is unhooked. Will the heavy load make surge any worse?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by james.mcafee1
My heaviest use is in the summer about once a week pulling tandem dual goosneck trailer with two tractors on it (about 17,000 lb combo of trailer and load). Other upgrades planned after exhaust and WW (if needed) are gauges (EGT,Trans Temp, and pyrometer), AFE intake, a DP tuner, and BTS valve body in that order. If you think I need the WW or more for the occasional heavy pulling, I thought it may be best to do that while the exhaust is unhooked. Will the heavy load make surge any worse?
Ok, your line of thought is correct and I agree with you that it would be easier to do all at once. I just wanted to make sure you knew the the compressor wheel wasn't a performance upgrade. The heavy load will amplify the surge issue so a wheel is a good idea.

Only thing I would change is possibly the intake since the AFE is expensive and the S&B has slightly better filteration at a much better price.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
james.mcafee1
New User
Will the WW be enough in the stock turbo and housing?

Does the S&B have a dry filter? I wanted to stay away from the oil types.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The WW usually takes care of the surge for most people, but there are some cases that a housing is need to totally take care of the surge while pulling a load.

Ask Clay about the 6637 air filter. Be sure to check with Clay on all the parts you want. He has some great prices on great parts.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Riffraff Diesel: S&B Cold Air Intakes

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
james.mcafee1
New User
After reading some other posts here and on other sites, I am leaning to the BDP 1.0 turbo housing with adapter and their compressor wheel versus the WW. Is that all I need for load surges. As I stated earlier, I'm not too familiar with the turbos, and is their 1.0 system with wheel all that I need.? Does eliminating the EBPV valve with the 1.0 also lose exhaust brake effect if there is any?