1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

carb question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Martys82
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carb question

im wantin to know how important the tube that comes off the passenger side top of the carb, im told it goes to the header or something. not sure, how important is it? mine is plugged.
plus my choke heat tube is disconnected. truck is a liitle sluggish from the start, could this be from the tubes being blocked off?

o ya i have a 82 f100 4.9 3 speed w/OD

Old 02-15-2003, 09:07 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
carb question

The rubber hose from the angled tube in the carb throat carries filtered air to the heat tube in the ex.man., which then goes up the hard tube to the choke on the side of the carb. Not having the rubber hose allows dirty air into the choke, which eventually gets sucked into the carb. But if the hard line is missing, it doesn't matter because it'll get dirty air there, and the choke won't react properly when the engine warms up - it'll stay choked too long, assuming it's working properly otherwise.

Old 02-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Martys82
Senior User
carb question

ok so where is everything hooked up so can fix it

Old 02-17-2003, 09:50 AM
xuare
Senior User
carb question

I believe Ford had 3 kinds of automatic chokes. air heated, electric heated, and electric & air heated.

My 83 had the combo air + electric, but was missing the air pump and the air tube to the choke. All it was using was electric heating, which seemed to work fine as long as the choke pull-off was properly set.

I don't know if the 82 has the combo choke, but if it does you may not need the air connection. I don't know if this is particularly good or bad in the long run, haven't owned the truck that long (plus i'm not running the smog pump system at all). But it does start right up

(I should also note I have a 351W w/ 2barrel and not the 300 I6)

Old 02-17-2003, 11:35 AM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
carb question

The choke heater tube off the #5 exhaust runner is a 10-12" 3/8" (or 5/16"? check the threads to be sure) threaded connection brake line. It goes from the exhaust manifold and is then bent at a 90 about 7-8" up and into the choke housing. You'll need exact measurements to get the tube bent properly and don't bend it by hand, you'll run the risk of crimping the tube closed.

The other tube.... well now my brain is freezing up (and it's not very cold here ) I'd refer to my Chilton's but the darn thing doesn't have the '82 vac diagrams in it. Since I don't have the '82 sitting out front and I made the in-laws mad (so I can't really call them up and have a look into the engine bay of the '82), I'll give it a good guess... take this with a grain of salt.

The 1/4" tube should come from underneath the area of the #4 or 5 exhaust runner on the exhaust manifold. It looked to be brazed or stamped in place with a button type assembly. The tube then ran out and up to a location near the vacuum manifold on the intake under the carb. Where it plugged in from there is a haze. I can't recall if it was the top of the carb or somewhere else and I can't find it in any of my drawings. Some help, please

Well this should get you started...

-Kerry

Old 02-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,726 Likes on 1,396 Posts
carb question

"The rubber hose from the angled tube in the carb throat carries filtered air to the heat tube in the ex.man., which then goes up the hard tube to the choke on the side of the carb. Not having the rubber hose allows dirty air into the choke"

According to steve's post, the line hooks into a fitting at the top of the carb, near the base of the aircleaner. I would guess this angled tube would just shoot through the casting, where it could pick up clean air form the filter.

Old 02-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Martys82
Senior User
carb question

ok i think i can figure it out now, thanx for the input