1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Older cab on newer chassis

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM
BlueOvalBud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Older cab on newer chassis

Hey fellas,
This is going to be a little long-winded, so go grab a drink!
I don't do a lot of posting, but do a heck of a lot of reading! That's why I've only accumulated 400 some-odd posts over the last 4 years.
My recent reading has led me into cab swaps. I've read a few recent threads on swapping a 78 crew cab onto a '97 Superduty chassis. Looks nice!
Has anyone else done such a swap? The thread I read has excellent pictures, and the body seems like it sits nicely on the chassis. I'm wondering if anybody has done a regular cab swap.
I'm planning a '66 cab onto a newer chassis. I was originally planning 77.5-79 4x4 chassis, hopefully with a D60 front. This seemed pretty good because the 65-79 frames were nearly identical in the cab mounting pattern, so my '66 style cab could be bolted onto a late 70's chassis. It'll be a heavy duty work truck, seeing most of its life hauling trailers and/or hauling a load on the flatbed. Engine wise, I plan on stuffing a 6.9 turbo diesel under the hood. Of course, if I use an 80-91 chassis I can bolt the engine in with my motor mounts. I have the engine and all mounts out of my former truck that rusted out. I've read about others who attempted and had cab fitment problems with the firewall, and the wheels didn't line up in the fenders.
I'm only a weekend warrior when it comes to mechanics, since we've only recently bought a small welder. I feel more comfortable fabbing body mounts than engine mounts.

I plan to spend my entire night searching the forum, but figured I'd throw out a line and see if I caught any clues to direct me in my search. Thanks fellas!