General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

my wife washed my cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my wife washed my cell phone

Yup...it's true, I had a pair of shorts on and had my cell phone in my pocket. I changed my shorts so that I could go out and mow my dust bowl of a lawn.While I was doing that my wife decided to toss my shorts into the wash machine with the laundry.

I came in and said...where are my shorts,oh in the wash machine,so I said uh did you take my cell phone out of the pocket.ray:,nope....lol...great.

So my phone went through a complete wash even the spin cycle. I pulled my phone out of the wash machine and it was dead as a door nail.

My wife said I heard if you take the battery out any stick the phone into a bag of rice over night it may dry it out and work again,so I said yah right.

I had nothing to loose so tried the rice trick, I buried the phone in a plastic bag full of Uncle Bens, and woke up the next morning and low and behold the darn thing turned on and worked,I couldn't believe it.:yes1:

So if yah drop your phone into a puddle,sink,lake etc try this out,it worked for me.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the 'rice trick' absolutely works!

You might want to replace the battery, though.

My youngest daughter dropped her cellphone into the. . .ahem. . . toilet.
The phone was less than a week old.
The phone was opened and battery removed, placed into a bowl of (uncooked) "Minute Rice".

The battery was 'toast', but, the phone was like new, the next day.

Lastly, look inside the phone. There's a little 'label' that turns color when subjected to water.
(The cellphone company said that they won't replace a phone under warranty, IF it's been drowned.)

Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
I have the insurance on it anyway but didn't want to deal with the hassle of needing to go down to the store.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:17 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
My phone sank to the bottom of a pool last year. I put it under a lamp with the battery out or a night and it helped, then did the rice trick and made it work 100%. I got a new battery just to make sure and it's still working to this day. It's amazing. Moral of your story: do your own laundry! Just kidding.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
My phone sank to the bottom of a pool last year. I put it under a lamp with the battery out or a night and it helped, then did the rice trick and made it work 100%. I got a new battery just to make sure and it's still working to this day. It's amazing. Moral of your story: do your own laundry! Just kidding.
I used to but I've been banned from the laundry. I took the Ray Ramano approach and shrank a bunch of stuff one day,so now I don't have to do it anymore.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 1ATony
I used to but I've been banned from the laundry. I took the Ray Ramano approach and shrank a bunch of stuff one day,so now I don't have to do it anymore.
Smart man. Smarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt man!
My youngest son did some laundry for his Mom, and put some Clorox in with her jeans.

Brad has been exiled from the laundry room. (I always knew that kid had a good head on his shoulders!)

Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If any thing will work, it will be the rice trick.
Leave the phone in the rice a minimum of 48 hours.
What will kill the phone is attempting to energize it with internal moisture present, so to err on the conservative side by leaving it in rice longer than may actually be necessary would be prudent IMO.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I washed mine, it was working the next day.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The IT guy at work was just telling me that alcohol also works - like, 90% isopropyl - I guess the theory is that the alcohol will remove the water and evaporate faster - he then suggested the rice thing after the alcohol 'dip'...

And then he started telling me how he spilled coffee on his netbook once, so he dumped a bottle of isopropyl alcohol on it to clean the coffee out - I guess it worked, miraculously enough, the netbook is still running to this day...

Rice? OK, I can go with that... Alcohol? yyeeaahhhh, I think I'll pass on that... Being a mild solvent, I can't help but wonder what it does to some of the plastic components... I've done board washes before, but that was after tearing the device down first...

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
My GF has dropped 3 cells in the toilet. No I don't know what she was doing with them and she ain't tellin. Wish I had known to try the rice. From now on there will be a bowl of rice in the can.

Kids don't eat the rice

Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Kids don't eat the rice
Rice is edible?

Jeez I just thought it was something you throw at newlyweds. Glad that someone has finally found a beneficial use for it.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Now I hear this, after my daughter has destroyed 4 of em' in similar manners.
I permanently fixed her last victim with .357 magnum.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by clux
Rice is edible?

Jeez I just thought it was something you throw at newlyweds. Glad that someone has finally found a beneficial use for it.
You can't even do that anymore because it makes birds explode or something.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Furyus1
Rice? OK, I can go with that... Alcohol? yyeeaahhhh, I think I'll pass on that... Being a mild solvent, I can't help but wonder what it does to some of the plastic components... I've done board washes before, but that was after tearing the device down first...
Alcohol is 100% safe for electronics.

Back in the dark ages, I worked for a company that did electronics assembly. I used an alcohol based solder flux to coat the entire circuit board assembly before wave-soldering. No muss, no fuss, 99.9999% perfect solder job. (yeah, there was the OCCASIONAL bad joint.... maybe one or two... )

-blaine

Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1ATony
You can't even do that anymore because it makes birds explode or something.
Really? Hot damn, I'm gonna try that on some seagulls around here rice is cheaper than Alka-Seltzer...

Quick Reply: my wife washed my cell phone