Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 PM
rebelmdb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Leak

Ok so I was driving home tonight and started smelling diesel in the cab. I get home pop the hood and in the valley is a mad gusher of fuel. I have no idea where to begin or what to look for. Anyone have any ideas. Its a 99.5 only mods are a 6637 and an Edge with Attitude that is barely used. The pickup just rolled 304k Thanks in advance

Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Best place to begin and end, LOL.

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

Easiest way to start is to clean it up and then turn the key so the fuel pump is on and start looking.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
If it is a gusher, check the fuel hard line that runs down the passenger's side head. It is common to have the bracket by the pedestal rub a hole completely through the line. You will have to get a new line from Ford.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on the return fuel line on the passenger head, Just had to replace mine last Thursday. Mine had worn a hole right where the clamp that is bolted to the head had lost its insulation, 250,000 miles of vibration took its toll. Needless to say I left that clamp out! $55 part from ford, and about an hour or so to remove and replace. Not too bad at all really, but before I noticed it, pretty sorry I know but I lost about 12 gallons of diesel fuel. Of course part of that was getting it back home to work on as well.

Last edited by BigAlsPSD; 08-11-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Information
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 AM
rebelmdb
Senior User
I am going with the return line as well after some more looking and lots of googling ( sounds dirt huh ) last night $40 from the ford house. How hard is this to change out.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 AM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelmdb
I am going with the return line as well after some more looking and lots of googling ( sounds dirt huh ) last night $40 from the ford house. How hard is this to change out.
Not bad. You have to remove the turbo spider assembly and boots to gain access to the rear fitting but once it's out, there is pretty good access.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
rebelmdb
Senior User
Any tips or tricks for removing the spider. Might as well clean it as well. What should I use to do that. I am having to wait til after lunch for the part to come in.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rebelmdb
Any tips or tricks for removing the spider. Might as well clean it as well. What should I use to do that. I am having to wait til after lunch for the part to come in.
Just make sure all the clamps are loose and be careful with the O-ring where the spider connects to the turbo. Also make sure you disconnect all the hoses and wires from the spider after that it should pry up out of there. Once you get it out, cover up the holes going into your heads so you dont knock trash into you motor. To get the line off of the backside off the passenger head I had to cut the wrenck in half to be able to get any stroke on it. Its in a pretty tight spot. As for cleaning the spider I steam cleaned it, burnt it, then had it blasted and powdercoated.

I wish I new what size that nut is on the hardline..Also been told not to put the clamp back on the line by the turbo. 9 out of 10 times that is the culprit.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fitting using a 9/16" or 14MM I used a crows foot and it came off pretty easy.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM
rebelmdb
Senior User
Luckily I have a set of stubby wrenches but unfortunatly have some big fat hands LOL. Got the line back on and ran out of daylight off to put the spider back on Thanks for all the help. If I get time I will do a write up. And yes that stupid clamp was the problem but now resides among 80 bulls and 320ac hopefully getting stomped and covered in BS literally. LOL