Sponsored by: Moser

My new project

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new project

Well, finally got a couple pictures of my new project. It's too hot right now to work on it, so it'll be this fall before it gets tore down.

It's been sitting for about 5 years, so there are a few things that stopped working during that time. The water pump leaks, and the rear main leaks and I can't seem to get the transfercase to move at all, I thought I was going to break the lever off trying.

Plans for it are to pull the body off and media blast the frame, repaint it, repaint the body, and either do up the 390 that's in it, or move to a 460, haven't decided on that yet. It also needs bigger tires, to me the 31's look too small. I also have to do something with the interior, and the steering column needs to be replaced I think (a lot of play in the shifter)

Anyway, here are a few pics I took with my cell to get started, totally forgot to take a picture of the engine, someone has done it up in some chrome and put an electronic ignition in it.

I paid $1000 for it from my grandfather, who passed away a couple weeks ago so that's giving me some motivation to make it nice. (and then run it through the trees but that's ok :P)

Anyone know if that's the original Ford Manual laying in the seat?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ecidemon
Well, finally got a couple pictures of my new project. It's too hot right now to work on it, so it'll be this fall before it gets tore down.

It's been sitting for about 5 years, so there are a few things that stopped working during that time. The water pump leaks, and the rear main leaks and I can't seem to get the transfercase to move at all, I thought I was going to break the lever off trying.

Plans for it are to pull the body off and media blast the frame, repaint it, repaint the body, and either do up the 390 that's in it, or move to a 460, haven't decided on that yet. It also needs bigger tires, to me the 31's look too small. I also have to do something with the interior, and the steering column needs to be replaced I think (a lot of play in the shifter)

Anyway, here are a few pics I took with my cell to get started, totally forgot to take a picture of the engine, someone has done it up in some chrome and put an electronic ignition in it.

I paid $1000 for it from my grandfather, who passed away a couple weeks ago so that's giving me some motivation to make it nice. (and then run it through the trees but that's ok :P)

Anyone know if that's the original Ford Manual laying in the seat?
Nice project Truck! My condolences on the loss of your grandfather.

It's always nice to see that a grandchild will take something from their grandfather and turn it into something reconditioned, modified or restored back to something usable for others to enjoy.

Good luck on your project.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Looks like a nice start, good luck on your project. Be prepared for a future of fun/frustration...oh yeah, and money.
It's nice that your taking something from your grandfather, making a project of it and keeping it in the family.
Keep us posted, and LOTS of pictures.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
I'll be doing all of the work myself (or with a friend) so I hope to keep the costs down, just part costs, which most of the truck is in good condition, so I shouldn't have to replace much. The paint is probably what's going to cost me the most.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You didn't say what your truck year was, but the owner's manual is for a 1976. Good luck with your project.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:12 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Really sorry to hear about your grandpa. I would have given anything to have gotten something of my grandpa's after he died, especially something like a project truck that would help to work through the grieving process.

Keep us updated with pics!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
I'll be doing all of the work myself (or with a friend) so I hope to keep the costs down, just part costs, which most of the truck is in good condition, so I shouldn't have to replace much. The paint is probably what's going to cost me the most.
I would suggest that you do most of the work yourself unless you have a friend that's very good with a wrench in their hands.

I've heard of some horror stories where a friend:

1) gets in the way

2) doesn't know what they're doing and wrecks something

However, if you have a best friend that is good with tools and knows the direction that you want to go, it makes for some great bonding time together. And beer, who can forget beer.

I would have to agree about the paint comment. It'll be costly, but it adds the finishing touches to your vehicle, so it's worth it.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:27 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
Thankfully, this friend happens to have done auto body for the last 30+ years, so he'll be doing the paint work, I just have to buy the supplies, and happens to know his way around the mechanics of a vehicle quite well.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do in the motor department, so I can start building up parts, or just leave the 390 a lone until it goes.

What do you all think? FE or 385 series?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rockstone
You didn't say what your truck year was, but the owner's manual is for a 1976. Good luck with your project.
Sorry, it's a 76 F-150.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Thankfully, this friend happens to have done auto body for the last 30+ years, so he'll be doing the paint work, I just have to buy the supplies, and happens to know his way around the mechanics of a vehicle quite well.

I still need to figure out what I'm going to do in the motor department, so I can start building up parts, or just leave the 390 a lone until it goes.

What do you all think? FE or 385 series?
I'd just stick with your 390. I can't see much of a difference except for hassle of getting parts if you were to get a 460.

you've got a motor, may as well stick with it and rebuild it. It'll mean more that way since it's big enough to do whatever you need already anyways.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
I'd just stick with your 390. I can't see much of a difference except for hassle of getting parts if you were to get a 460.

you've got a motor, may as well stick with it and rebuild it. It'll mean more that way since it's big enough to do whatever you need already anyways.
From what I've seen it seems I can find parts for a 460 easier than I can my 390, which was part of the reason I wanted to switch.

I've yet to find long-tube headers for the 390 for a 4x4.

I guess I need to find a place that deals specifically with FE engines. And if I do I have a feeling I'm going to find that FE stands for "freakin Expensive"

Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
From what I've seen it seems I can find parts for a 460 easier than I can my 390, which was part of the reason I wanted to switch.

I've yet to find long-tube headers for the 390 for a 4x4.

I guess I need to find a place that deals specifically with FE engines. And if I do I have a feeling I'm going to find that FE stands for "freakin Expensive"
Really? That's interesting because I keep coming by vehicles with 390's in them.

Last night I looked at a 79 F-150 4X4 with a NP205 transfercase and a re-done and "spiced up" 390 in it. It was actually a really nice truck. Decent body too.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM
ecidemon
Senior User
Factory parts, yes.. There are 3 390's laying in the garage that I'll be working in, but I'm talking after market

Namely... I can't find any long tube headers

Old 08-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Factory parts, yes.. There are 3 390's laying in the garage that I'll be working in, but I'm talking after market

Ah yes. You've got me on that one there ecidemon. 390's are fairly easy to come by for the most part, but when it comes to performance... good luck.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Rockstone
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Ah yes. You've got me on that one there ecidemon. 390's are fairly easy to come by for the most part, but when it comes to performance... good luck.
There are headers out there, and plenty of performance parts for the FE's. Here are some Hedman's at JBG.
1967-79 Full Size Truck/bronco - Exhaust - Headers