1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 03:38 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering

My steering on '00 5.4L 4x4 was originally a little "soft" feeling. I attributed some of it to the cruddy Firestones. Now with Bridgestone Dueler 285's, a $50 steering stabilizer and realignment, the beast handles superbly. If nothing else, try the stabilizer, you'll be happy you did. Bilstein or Edelbrock shocks are next.

Old 10-16-2001, 07:37 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Steering

I think Ford is on crack. My eyes didn't see an EVO pump or its associated wiring on an Expy built in June 2001.

As for aftermarket add-ons. I don't think I should have to spend a dime to correct a problem that is beyond personal perception. It's obvious that alot of other Expy owners are less than pleased with their machines and Ford needs to do something about it.

Old 10-16-2001, 09:09 AM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Steering

Well, I would imagine there is no wiring since a June 02 Expy is not an EVO setup. Can you tell me what the differences in the pumps are? I will climp under my Expy this weekend to check things out...

I agree with you that we should not have to spend a dime to have a $40k+ vehicle made recently in order to have it handle correctly. The problem we are faced is if Ford wont fix it I would rather spend the money to fix it than live with the poor handling.

My last Ford vehicle was a 97 T-Bird. This thing has to be the best damn car I have ever owned. I am now sorry I traded it in. When it came time to buy an SUV, I was very pleased with Ford and loved the looks with the Expy. As of now, I am really going to think twice before purchasing another Ford vehicle. I also own a Dodge Dakota... and it has been wonderful. Owesome little 4x4... that handles great.

But, to address the original issue: if you can explain to me the visual differences of the EVO pump vs non-EVO pump and EVO gear vs non-EVO gear... along with what to look for to identify them, I would appreciate it. I know I have an EVO setup... but I am researching what all is involved with switching over to a non-EVO setup.

BTW, I just got a call from my dealer. They say that nothing is wrong with my Expy... and they don't know what I am talking about. I hate to say it, but I expected this kind of a response. They wont even put the damn thing on an alignment rack to make sure it is aligned properly.

Glad to see that Quality is Job 999!

Old 10-16-2001, 10:39 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Steering

RJ, try another dealership.

Old 10-16-2001, 10:47 AM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Steering

At this point I have Ford Customer Service invovled. They are in communication with the dealer. Don't know if things will work out my way (odd are against me), but I am at least making some noise.

The customer service rep said they are having the dealer drive mine and another Expy with the same build time frame to gauge the two. The want to find out if there is something wrong with mine... or if that is just how they are. This infuriates me because they are just going to say they drove the same.

My only hope came from the rep explaining they will have the dealer research any changes during the model year.

Does anyone know when Ford started using the EVO?

Old 10-16-2001, 11:25 AM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Steering

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 16-Oct-01 AT 12:25 PM (EST)[/font][p]rob_nc,

I found another post on this board (started by you) about this issue... so I see you are really researching this thouroughly. I am definately on a mission to fix this problem. I would rather have Ford pay for it... but if they don't, I will have no choice but to fix it myself.

In your opinion, what is the best pump/gear combo for fixing this? One from a later 2001 Expy.. or from a different vehicle all together? Should both the pump and gear be swapped... or just one of those items?

I would like to keep up correspondence on this issue and keep each other abreast on our findings.

Because some might be getting tired of my constant postings on this issue, my email is RJKobbeman(No Email Addresses In Posts!).

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2001, 03:19 PM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Steering

Jerm,

Well, I have hit a dead-end with both the dealer and customer service; they aren't going to do anything.

If you have a dealer contact and a customer service contact, I would greatly appreciate it. These guys act like I don't know what the hell I am talking about.

Rob

Old 10-17-2001, 08:36 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Steering

Rob,

First off, try this link for Regional Service Contacts within Ford. http://www.bonforums.com/contacts/contacts_fordreps.htm. I don't know how current this list is, but it's a start.

Also, an EVO pump will have a long solenoid on it near the discharge line. A non-EVO pump will have a shorter plug in this same location. This is the pressure regulator.

As far a visual differences in the gears, I doubt there are any. Any differences will be internal.

I don't see any reason why an F150 setup won't work on an Expy. Afterall, they are basically the same chassis. Steering geometry is somewhat different on the Expy, so pitman arms are likely different.

I know your feeling about dealers. I'm an engineer for a heavy truck OEM and before that I was a heavy truck technician. I have diagnosed every problem with my trucks only to have the dealer tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. It's quite obvious, if the tech. can't plug into the vehicle with his OBDII tool and have it tell him what's wrong, there isn't a problem. Today's techs., sorry to say, don't have the knowledge needed to properly troubleshoot problems. They're parts replacers, not technicians.

I feel we should continue our discussion on this board so others with the same concern will learn from us.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:17 AM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Steering

rob_nc,

I know exactly what you are talking about... in regards to parts replacers. I used to be a mechanic -- until I got into computers 10 years ago -- so I can talk 'shop' to these guys. (Although they treat me like an idiot if I show up in a suit.) I agree, if a computer does not tell them what is wrong, they can't fix anything. And to them 'fix' is simply r&r.

Anyway, I finally got some good info (although not what I wanted to hear) from one of the mechanics that worked on my Expy. It reads like this (on my reciept):

"EVO SYSTEM IS NOT USED ON EXPEDITIONS AS OF 4-10-01 AND SYSTEM CANNOT BE MODIFIED PER HOTLINE. REPORT# 1JPHF013."

Ford's attitude is if it works as designed -- even though it is wrong... and have since fixed it -- they wont touch it.

I am dying to hear from Jerm. He said his dealer is going to fix his... and Ford will pay for it. (Need to verify his issues are the same because my dealer did acknowledge there was a problem with the gear on 99s that have since been corrected. Wonder if that is what Jerm is getting fixed.)

Well, it sounds like the pumps are the same... but just different pressure relief/regulator valves. I 'assumed' this would be part of the pump... but it looks like that may not be the case.

I have ordered a 2001 Expy service manual from Helm on CD-ROM. Hopefully this will explain some differences. Drop me an email and we can 'talk' about the manual if you want.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:57 AM
Jerm
Junior User
Steering

Well, Gang-
I have my new steering gear in my truck. The part they replaced was simply a gear with part number YL1Z-3504-BBRM. The results weren't quite what I expected, but I am basically pleased with them. I do have more road feel now, and the steering wheel turns with more effort. I am actually able to tell that I have speed sensitive steering now. Before my "fix" the wheel turned with almost no effort at any speed, and now there actually seems to be sightly more effort required to turn the wheel at cruising speeds. Parking is still a breeze.

Overall, the improvement is great, although the steering is still a little touchy. This is less of a factor now, because the wheel doesn't turn so easily that it (and the truck) move with your heartbeat (slight exaggeration here, but not much).

As far as contacts at Ford, I am not so sure who is to thank. I talked briefly with the service tech when I dropped the truck off, and he seemed to think that the Ford hotline had nothing to do with my repair. He said he thought the other service guy was talking with the service manager about my problem, and he (the service manager) remembered seeing a bulletin relating to this. He looked it up and the rest is history. I am not sure who is to thank here.

For those of you that want to try this out, here is all of the info that I have. This is taken off my receipt from the Ford garage.

Problem: "Check steering, vehicle wanders when driving at highway speeds. Replace steering gear per SOP and service message."

"J#1 03FOZ"
I don't know what this means - it could be a job assignment tag.

Good Luck!
Jerm

Old 10-17-2001, 12:34 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Steering

As I remember,(I don't have all my notes in front of me) that is the same gear that's on my Expy.

Old 10-17-2001, 05:21 PM
Jerm
Junior User
Steering

Rob_NC
For what its worth, the part number for my new gear was the same as the part number on the core return for the old one. I am not familiar with the recordkeeping policies of Ford, but I can assure you that I do not have the same part.

Old 10-20-2001, 07:57 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Steering

Hey Rob!

I just spent the last 45 minutes installing a set of Energy Suspension polyurethane sway arm and end link bushings on my wife's Expy. I will say, this is the best money I've spent on this truck to date. WOW, what a difference! The thing doesn't lean into the corners anymore and it doesn't have that 'jiggly' feeling when traveling over undulating roads. Even with the 'loose' steering, it is more pleasurable to drive.

I bought the parts from Summit Racing for $33.74. The part no. is ENS-4-5173G. It took about 3 weeks to get them, but they are worth the wait.

I'm going to put this thing to the test tomorrow. We're going up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to see the fall colors, and to get there, we have to go through Fancy Gap where there are alot of sharp mountain curves. I can't wait.

Rob

Old 10-30-2001, 10:21 AM
ALAN_1
New User
Steering

YOUR PROBLEM MAY NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR STEERING, IT MAY BE THE TIRES, DO YOU HAVE GOODYEAR WRANGLERS, WE REPLACED TIRES ON OUR FLEET VEHICLES WITH THEM ON F150S AND RANGERS AND SOME OF THE VEHICLES BECAME REAL UNSTABLE AND HARD TO CONTROL GOING DOWN THE ROAD. THEY WOULD WANDER ALOT AND A TOUCH OF THE STEERING WOULD MOVE IT. I HAVE A 97 EXP. WITH KELLY TIRES AND NO HANDLING PROBLEMS.

Old 10-30-2001, 02:03 PM
RJKobbeman
Senior User
Steering

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 30-Oct-01 AT 03:28 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 30-Oct-01 AT 03:28 PM (EST)[/font]

rob_nc,

Thanks for the info. I will order some today! BTW, what year is your Expy? 2x4 or 4x4? Mine is a 01 4x4. That number you gave me is for a 2x4 98/99 Expy -- according to Summit Racing. Does anyone know if Energy Suspension and/or Hellwig has parts for 2001's yet?

Alan,

Yeah, I have the Wrangler RT/Ss... the dealer replaced the Firestone's with these before I purchased it. Has anyone else replaced their Goodyear's and have their handling improve?

I don't want to replace brand-new tires... but I will if it will help!

Quick Reply: Steering