General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hand Gun Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,703 Likes on 1,316 Posts
We didn't go off topic did we?

SORRY!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have 3 AK type weapons right now, and a AR-15 HBAR and a Mini-14...........no WAY I would ever risk anything by a illegal conversion! The costs are just too high, full-auto is uncontrollable for most folks, the cost of burning thru ammo is prohibitive........10 years in the Federal stalag will get you real friendly with Bubba, so don't drop the soap!

Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
fl1a
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the 4" S&W .38 you are mentioning might be the type being offered by J&G Sales of Prescott AZ, that would be a good buy on a revolver that you won't see many more of at that price. If it isn't, check J&G's website, they have some on offer. If it's worn, you can make a stainless pistol look as good as you want.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a tough subject. I like all of the major companies pistols. The 1911 has so many after market parts &accessories & its a good gun. Glocks are great guns. I want a Karr 45 for my next carry gun. I've owned so many different pistols it would take a page here to list them. For a dependable gun a revolver can't be beat. S&W builds great ones. My favorite revolver was a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 cal. I had a 44 at the same time. The 30 cal was more fun to shoot. It just handled better. I tell everyone that ask me about handguns the same thing. Shoot as many as you can before you buy. You will find some that just fit your hand right. Buy the one that fits you. You will not be sorry.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
If you're part Czech, and want to stick to your roots, I'd look at a CZ 75 before I got an 82.

If it were me, I'd find the best deal on a used pistol I'm interested in and go with that. There will always be time to get something more specific at some point in the future.
I was looking at the CZ 82 mainly due to the polygonal rifling and the fact that I can get it fairly cheap in surplus. But I did how ever recently got a list made up of other CZ pistols and rifles that I am still looking into price wise, when they were made and finding reviews on them. So far I have the following list

1. CZ Vz.22
2. CZ Vz.24
3. CZ 27
4. CZ Vz.38
5. CZ 50 Vz.50 & Vz.70
6. CZ 52
7. CZ 52 (rifle)
8. CZ 58 (Assault Rifle)
9. CZ 75
10. CZ 82
11. CZ 85
12. CZ 97
13. CZ 100
14. CZ 110
15. CZ-G2000
16. CZ-TT

Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Good eye on the "legally" part

Actually, you can own the full auto parts of a weapon (lets use an AK for example since there are too many guns out there that come in both semi and full auto). In fact, every AK parts kit you buy comes with the full auto bolt carrier, bolt, auto sear, the trigger group and the pin for the sear. The receiver will either be cut with a torch, or be missing completely, as it was destroyed prior to entering the country.

I can own a semi-auto AK, and all the full auto parts. HOWEVER...if I were to drill the ONE hole in my receiver...and ATF found out...I would be done! Doesn't matter if I installed the parts or not...as long as that hole is there, they consider it a full-auto conversion.

Here is a good thread, with some information a few posts down:

The AK Forum - Login
Kind of crazy there, its like if you bought a full auto assault rifle that was converted to semi auto youll get in a heap of trouble because the holes are there. Its just as crazy as gunshops can sell and ship to you gun parts but they cant ship the frame to you because the frame by itself is classified as a gun even though its just the frame. Its just like how mild steel core rounds are labeled armor piercing even though the mild steel core has a very mild armor piercing ability they wont pierce plate armor like a true armor piercing round which is a harden steel core.

But in the end I came across an assault rifle that looks simmilar to the AK-47 but is actually alot more efficent and has almost zero muzzle climb. I might look into that one instead but probably in semi auto form. Its too much trouble in my book to go through the proper channels for a class III rifle. Just like the concealed handgun its more trouble than its worth with the expensive class you have to take then the high cost of the license then every 5 years you have to go back in take the class again pay again for the class just to pay again the slightly lower price for renewal. Would be nice to have so I could carry a pistol but **** I dont have that kind of money to blow every 5 years let alone the time to sit in a class for 13 hours in one day from 8:30am to 9:30pm

Originally Posted by Old93junk
I have 3 AK type weapons right now, and a AR-15 HBAR and a Mini-14...........no WAY I would ever risk anything by a illegal conversion! The costs are just too high, full-auto is uncontrollable for most folks, the cost of burning thru ammo is prohibitive........10 years in the Federal stalag will get you real friendly with Bubba, so don't drop the soap!
Well that was one of the reasons I didnt try the full auto conversion on the .22 I could have got from over seas for a few bucks off ebay. Plus I also didnt see the point in a full auto .22. Now the assault rifle I was looking at now that I just recently found out about, the CZ-58 even in semi auto form you can do what this one guy calls "bump fire" and make it fire as quick as a full auto. Just need to find some reviews on these pistols and rifles that are on my list as well as the average price.

Originally Posted by lariat97
This is a tough subject. I like all of the major companies pistols. The 1911 has so many after market parts &accessories & its a good gun. Glocks are great guns. I want a Karr 45 for my next carry gun. I've owned so many different pistols it would take a page here to list them. For a dependable gun a revolver can't be beat. S&W builds great ones. My favorite revolver was a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 cal. I had a 44 at the same time. The 30 cal was more fun to shoot. It just handled better. I tell everyone that ask me about handguns the same thing. Shoot as many as you can before you buy. You will find some that just fit your hand right. Buy the one that fits you. You will not be sorry.
I agree, I like the 1911 and would like one but I am more into the obscure weapons that are great but on the "cheap" side price wise. For instance the CZ-82 pistol made from 1982 - 1993 the price I have found online for that 12+1 pistol ranged from $190 - $220 and a local shop has one for $309.99. I think that is pretty good for a pistol used by the military and police force in 82 - 93 and is still in use today for the most part. If I could get a chance to handle the guns on my list below I would go in and make a day of it checking off the ones that felt good and crossing off the ones that didnt. Then the only thing left to do is narrow the field down more by price.

On a side note the "database" list I have made so far this is whats on my list in full of pistols/rifles I am interested in but currently doing research on to pick out the better ones. Red text indicates the ones I am wanting to get at a later date, but the black ones are ones I am still researching.

1. CZ Vz.22
2. CZ Vz.24
3. CZ 27
4. CZ Vz.38
5. CZ 50 Vz.50 & Vz.70
6. CZ 52
7. CZ 52 (rifle)
8. CZ 58 (Assault Rifle)
9. CZ 75
10. CZ 82
11. CZ 85
12. CZ 97
13. CZ 100
14. CZ 110
15. CZ-G2000
16. CZ-TT
17. Model 98 (Rifle)
18. P38
19. AK 47 (Assault Rifle)
20. M 38 (Rifle)
21. M44 (Rifle)
22. M91/59 (Rifle)
23. PM 53
24. SG 43 (Rifle)
25. SKS 45 (Rifle)
26. SVT 38 (Rifle)
27. SVT 40 (Rifle)
28. TT 33
29. Colt 1911A1
30. Garand M1C

Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM
TheBestNeverRest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd go with some variant of the tt-33. 7.62x25 is a neat round.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBestNeverRest
I'd go with some variant of the tt-33. 7.62x25 is a neat round.
The 7.62 round for the pistols sounds very interesting. Not sure if it would have more kick than say the 9 x 18 but if case size is an indication the 25mm length case would tell me the 7.62 would have a higher muzzle velocity (probably over 1000 feet per second) compared to the 9mm.

I also need to look into it but I want to say the Czech CZ-TT is the Czech version of the Russian TT-33. Considering the quality of craftsmanship I think the Czech version of the Soviet TT-33 would be of better quality. But as I said would have to look into it and see if the CZ-TT and the TT-33 are the same pistol.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:19 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Haven't gotten into the assault rifles yet but I do think about them. An AR-15 and an AK-47 of some variant will likely find home in our safe in the future. Probably .223 caliber for ease of ammo purchase for range fun. For now, we have a couple of pump air guns, a 22cal Savage Arms rifle, Mossberg 500a tactical with pistol grip and breacher, my 1994 Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm, G17, G26 for my EDC, wife's Beretta 21a and her G19 EDC. In the heat and humidity here in Florida, concealed carry can be a work in progress. I'm considering a Ruger LCP .380 for pocket carry for my next hand gun. Not the stopping power of the 9mm or better yet .40 cal but, the rare perp will likely also be dressed light for the heat and a couple of .380s in the middle of the T shirt should be adequate stopping power. Avoidance is my plan A so hopefully plan B will never be tested but just in case, I'm confident with a good .380 critical defense round. That's where I am in my course of ideas. Holsters? EESH! It's a never ending trial! There's something I really like and don't like about all of them.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:30 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SDTriton250
Haven't gotten into the assault rifles yet but I do think about them. An AR-15 and an AK-47 of some variant will likely find home in our safe in the future. Probably .223 caliber for ease of ammo purchase for range fun. For now, we have a couple of pump air guns, a 22cal Savage Arms rifle, Mossberg 500a tactical with pistol grip and breacher, my 1994 Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm, G17, G26 for my EDC, wife's Beretta 21a and her G19 EDC. In the heat and humidity here in Florida, concealed carry can be a work in progress. I'm considering a Ruger LCP .380 for pocket carry for my next hand gun. Not the stopping power of the 9mm or better yet .40 cal but, the rare perp will likely also be dressed light for the heat and a couple of .380s in the middle of the T shirt should be adequate stopping power. Avoidance is my plan A so hopefully plan B will never be tested but just in case, I'm confident with a good .380 critical defense round. That's where I am in my course of ideas. Holsters? EESH! It's a never ending trial! There's something I really like and don't like about all of them.

From what I'm reading, the AR platform is fairly inexpensive, right now.
Well, from some vendors, anyway.
I REALLY like my AR-HBAR. Granted, it's not the very popular M4 or "Mforgery" platform that many people are buying, but, it's a great rifle!
Accurate to the extreme.
I've considered buying another 'upper' (flattop) with a shorter barrel (16" or so) and putting an EOTech sight on it.
It's just not on my 'priority' list.

.380 acp.
I used to have an Astra "Constable". It's basically a Walther PPK/s clone.
Keyword. . . "Basically".
Like a fool, I sold it.

With the right ammo (if you can find any ammo), the .380 acp is adequate. (I can't say with any authority that it is more than adequate.)

I'd really like to get a Walther PPK/s or maybe a Sig P232.
There's a guy on this forum (ahem, cough. . . cough) that has been teasing me about his PPK/s (cough. . . cough), and I've told him that I am more than ready to buy it, whenever he wants to sell it.
(Again, cough. . . cough.)

Holsters.
Have you looked at the IWB from Don Hume???
Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.
The H715-M W.C. holster is a very good concealment holster.
I don't have one of these, but, two guys I know (retired U.S. Marshal - Sig P232 and U.S. Capitol Police - G23) use this.
H715-M W.C. [H715-M] - $30.20 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SDTriton250
You can get a AK in .223 (5.56mm x 45mm NATO) and have the best of both worlds.
.380acp has hot self defense loads that equal most .38spl offerings in energy delivered.........no one doubts .38spl will stop someone.
Do not step below .380acp for a self defense load, 25acp, .32acp are not reliable rounds to bet your life on, not enough power, not reliable cycling rounds, more apt to make someone really mad. In fact I would rather carry a .22lr chambered pistol than a .25 or .32.........22lr hollow points penetrate very deeply, and leave wicked damage in their wake.
Keith,
The wife threatened to pistol whip me with that .380 PPKs if I dare try to sell it.......I do not have a good dental plan, so here it stays for now.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
Keith,
The wife threatened to pistol whip me with that .380 PPKs if I dare try to sell it.......I do not have a good dental plan, so here it stays for now.

I knew that the coughing would get your attention!!!!!!

No problems, here, my friend!!! None, at all.
(Truth be told. . . I wouldn't let it go, either!!)

Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
Lack of available .380 ammo is one reason I haven't already bought a .380 caliber Beretta Cheetah. I'd just like to have one in our Beretta line. But the LCP would be my choice for pocket carry. Ammo on the shelf is rare but I can order it online pretty readily. My G26 has been riding in my right front more and more lately in it's DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Not too bad...
I've fired a couple of AK-47's and AR15s at the range but I know very little about them. Got some studying to do. Friend has some very expensive collector's items in his safe(s). Some old rifles with bayonets. Very heavy.
I never thought of the 22LR as being more potent than the .25 or .32 but the little Beretta 21a is a wicked little pocket 22. I can carry it in my shirt pocket. Much more effective than a stern look! It's good for about 50 rounds before it needs a brush run through it. I know if it were turned around and someone pointed one at me while thinking of acquiring my wallet, I would readily transfer my wallet to the client rather than encourage a 22LR round my way. I read somewhere that the 22LR has caused more fatalities than any other round. Of course it's the most popular round so that makes sense but it shows that it IS a deadly caliber with proper placement.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Extra Hi-velocity .22lr rounds like CCI stinger Hollow points, are not something to trifle with. Velocity, penetration, expansion are all much better than .25acp or .32acp......I also read that .22lr accounts for more fatalities by gunshot wound than ALL other calibers COMBINED in the US by FBI statistics compiled each year.

.22lr is a incredibly lethal round!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
SDTriton250
Senior User
We've run quite a few CCI Stingers through the Bobcat. Very reliable ammo. And cheap!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Beretta 21a is a great little pocket pistol, same quality as the mod 85 .380 and the big brother 92-96 series 9mm/.40s/w