Mileage: Just over 100,000
Color: Silver Grey
Factory Options: Dual Fuel Tanks
Aftermarket Options: Bundy Step Bumper, Aluminum Wheels, Captain's Chair Seats

Price: $3000 Will consider other offers

Note: This truck is also currently listed on the Los Angeles CraigsList

Pictures at: http://www.xstrange.com/Van%20Comp%201.jpg

Contact me at: brucejohnson100@att.net or 818-955-8152

I bought this van used in 1993 from Galpin Ford. I'm the second owner. It was an off-lease truck, I believe from Airborne Express, with 40,000 miles on it at the time. It's been my faithful heavy hauler since then. This is the heavy duty van with the same engine and drivetrain as used in the large motorhomes. I think it's rated for towing up to 12,000lbs with the right hitch. I put on a Bundy steel step hitch rear bumper. I've towed 5,000lb trailers easily. I've carried as much as 2,500lbs inside and it didn't even sag.

Galpin had repainted it in the factory silver grey color. That paint is now peeling off of the roof and some spots on the sides. Other than that, the body is completely straight. There are no dents or significant scrapes on it. There are a few small spots of surface rust on the roof, but no rust anywhere on the lower body or chassis. The interior is bare metal. The factory pressboard headliner panels are falling down. I put in a pair of aftermarket captain's chair seats just after I bought it. They're not torn, but the cushion springs are starting to sag. All of the rest of the interior is factory original and in good shape for 20 years. This van has factory air, although it's not working now.

The wheels are Centerline aluminum. The tires are about ten years old and still have plenty of tread. I believe that all of the suspension and steering joints are good. Over the years, I've done normal maintenence replacements of brakes, shocks, battery, etc. I have full records of everything I've replaced.

It's currently registered and passed smog a year ago. I have the title.

The bad news:
In the last six years I've only driven this van a few hundred miles per year. The engine has started to have trouble with stuck valve lifters. I've always changed the oil at least once a year, but I think it's starting to get gummed up. I've given it some Marvel Mystery Oil, which helped, but it still has some nasty valve rapping. So, I've parked it out back and stopped driving it. I think there's plenty of good miles left in the engine, but those lifters need to be pulled out and cleaned or replaced. Normally not a big job, but if you've ever worked on a 460 in a van, it's a real pain to get to. I don't have the time or enthusiasm to do it myself. It can be started up and driven, but there's risk of doing further damage to the engine.

For that reason, I won't allow a test drive. If you buy it, it's your choice to tow it or drive it.

Also, the transmission is a little bit funky. Most of the time it's fine in all gears. But occasionally, it will jump in and out of gear in some conditions. It's been doing that for about 5 years. I've had two shops look at it and they couldn't replicate the problem. I don't think the transmission is worn out or needs a major overhaul, but it has that problem.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Econoline
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xstrange
For sale:

1990 Ford E-350 1 Ton Econoline Cargo Van

Size: Long Wheelbase, Standard Length Body
Body Style: Cargo Van, Sliding Side Door, Windows in Rear Doors and Side Door
Engine: 460 EFI
Transmission: E4OD Electronic Overdrive Automatic
Mileage: Just over 100,000
Color: Silver Grey
Factory Options: Dual Fuel Tanks
Aftermarket Options: Bundy Step Bumper, Aluminum Wheels, Captain's Chair Seats

Price: $3000 Will consider other offers

Note: This truck is also currently listed on the Los Angeles CraigsList

Pictures at: http://www.xstrange.com/Van%20Comp%201.jpg

Contact me at: brucejohnson100@att.net or 818-955-8152

I bought this van used in 1993 from Galpin Ford. I'm the second owner. It was an off-lease truck, I believe from Airborne Express, with 40,000 miles on it at the time. It's been my faithful heavy hauler since then. This is the heavy duty van with the same engine and drivetrain as used in the large motorhomes. I think it's rated for towing up to 12,000lbs with the right hitch. I put on a Bundy steel step hitch rear bumper. I've towed 5,000lb trailers easily. I've carried as much as 2,500lbs inside and it didn't even sag.

Galpin had repainted it in the factory silver grey color. That paint is now peeling off of the roof and some spots on the sides. Other than that, the body is completely straight. There are no dents or significant scrapes on it. There are a few small spots of surface rust on the roof, but no rust anywhere on the lower body or chassis. The interior is bare metal. The factory pressboard headliner panels are falling down. I put in a pair of aftermarket captain's chair seats just after I bought it. They're not torn, but the cushion springs are starting to sag. All of the rest of the interior is factory original and in good shape for 20 years. This van has factory air, although it's not working now.

The wheels are Centerline aluminum. The tires are about ten years old and still have plenty of tread. I believe that all of the suspension and steering joints are good. Over the years, I've done normal maintenence replacements of brakes, shocks, battery, etc. I have full records of everything I've replaced.

It's currently registered and passed smog a year ago. I have the title.

The bad news:
In the last six years I've only driven this van a few hundred miles per year. The engine has started to have trouble with stuck valve lifters. I've always changed the oil at least once a year, but I think it's starting to get gummed up. I've given it some Marvel Mystery Oil, which helped, but it still has some nasty valve rapping. So, I've parked it out back and stopped driving it. I think there's plenty of good miles left in the engine, but those lifters need to be pulled out and cleaned or replaced. Normally not a big job, but if you've ever worked on a 460 in a van, it's a real pain to get to. I don't have the time or enthusiasm to do it myself. It can be started up and driven, but there's risk of doing further damage to the engine.

For that reason, I won't allow a test drive. If you buy it, it's your choice to tow it or drive it.

Also, the transmission is a little bit funky. Most of the time it's fine in all gears. But occasionally, it will jump in and out of gear in some conditions. It's been doing that for about 5 years. I've had two shops look at it and they couldn't replicate the problem. I don't think the transmission is worn out or needs a major overhaul, but it has that problem.

i just curious what size tires on mag wheels? it look nice i would like put for mine 87 ford e250 van

is rims 16x7? and tire size?

your van look nice. hope y able sell it.