Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i like my bug deflector, it keeps the rock chips off my hood!

i hooked mine to the first and only trailer i'm ever gonna pull with it. just finished rebuilding my 20 year old tilting golf cart trailer...going to make the perfect utility trailer

Name:  016-31.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  1.09 MB

Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 AM
BassFantasizer
Hotshot
Received 4,684 Likes on 2,608 Posts
Originally Posted by vrinner
I searched and didn't find anything quickly. But do those hood deflectors actually work? I like the idea of them but I'm not 100% convinced of the looks.
I put one on my '97 F-150 and have nothing but good things to say about it. In Florida, we get these odd creatures called "love bugs" that raise absolute havoc with painted finishes. The shield keeps the bugs from the leading edge of the hood (where they do the most damage) and deflects most of them to windshield level.

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
i like my bug deflector, it keeps the rock chips off my hood!

i hooked mine to the first and only trailer i'm ever gonna pull with it. just finished rebuilding my 20 year old tilting golf cart trailer...going to make the perfect utility trailer
Uh, Alaskan... It's an Excursion. You can probably get away with putting two golf carts on that trailer.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vrinner
I searched and didn't find anything quickly. But do those hood deflectors actually work? I like the idea of them but I'm not 100% convinced of the looks.
When I first got my Expedition years ago, with all of the construction in the Sacramento area there was a lot of rocks and debris on the freeway and bigger roads. Within a month I had a good half dozen chips on my hood.

I put the first plastic hood deflector on, and in the first year I had broken that first one and another, all braking from rocks and junk getting thrown up from the roadway or out of the semi-trailers.

I found the stainless one after the 2nd POS plastic one cracked, and afterwards about every other month I would hear a "ping!" as something ricocheted off of the metal (saving a chip of paint from the hood).

I can't believe Lund isn't pushing these harder, as it was only about 20% more than their plastic ones but are damn near indestructible compared to the plastic ones they sell.

I like that you can polish them to an even higher shine, or i would image you could go get them painted or powder coated if you want (can you powder coat stainless steel?).

There is one more located at Central 4 Wheel Drive off of Auburn Drive in Sacramento if anyone is looking for one...some off road shops may still have a dusty one sitting around in back. $160-something out the door.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Any of you that installed bug deflectors check your mileage afterwards? We tried one on two different trucks and both of them dropped 1MPG with the deflector.

I have moved on to invisaguard paint protection for our trucks.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Any of you that installed bug deflectors check your mileage afterwards? We tried one on two different trucks and both of them dropped 1MPG with the deflector.

I have moved on to invisaguard paint protection for our trucks.
Great choice!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:52 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washed up the X and getting ready for vacation!!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Goobzilla
Elder User
Brakes are bled and I think I'm ready for my trip to Washington.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 PM
FN Phat
Junior User
Cleaned up the X, powerwashed the boat and loading up the goodies for a long weekend on the lake

Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Have a slight change in plans...have to load up the chain saw and help clear a bunch of trees from Grandmas house on the way out of town. One fell on my aunt's log cabin, hopefully not too much damage to the cabin. Happy fourth, everyone

Old 07-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordboy67
Have a slight change in plans...have to load up the chain saw and help clear a bunch of trees from Grandmas house on the way out of town. One fell on my aunt's log cabin, hopefully not too much damage to the cabin. Happy fourth, everyone

I hear a tree fell on a cop car as he was driving down the road in our town.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM
extech
New User
Just got back from 2400 mile trip. Ran great! Got 12.6 mpg total average on the trip. v10 by the way. 900 of those miles with 6 adults and one child plus luggage.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross

Installed with 4 screws, but the prior owner must have had a deflector installed - the holes are a bit stripped so taking ideas on how to fix the issue before it comes loose and bounces around....
The best way to fix that is put a bolt and nut if you can get to the back side...
if not, go up in size on the metal screws and drill out your hood shield to allow the larger screw without splitting it...
and a third option - there's always some epoxy to fill in the hole and before completely hardened, mount your shield...

And you best do it soon as the air pressure at 60 mph WILL push on it hard

What did I do to the Ex today - I drove it for the first time in a week
It's been lonely since the work schedule has limited my driving and been playing with Momma's new Audi Q5 turbo 4 - fun little cuv !

stock, for now, and not a lot of hp but great power to weight ratio ! and that turbo is like all turbos - great !

Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 PM
7475ih
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the R&L body mounts off from under the drivers and pass floor and put two 1/16'' thick pieces of poly between the body and mount to stop that annoying squeaking sound when you take off and stop. Quiet as a mouse now.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Changed oil on the X today, $75 just for oil and filter. Used a purolator and rotella T.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
ScotF150
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ball Joints

Replaced the ball joints last Friday then went on a trip. Drives great now! Also replaced the axle and drive shaft U-joints.

Scott

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?