Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Drove my Ex to/from Green Bay. Got great gas mileage - a whole 15mpg. nothing like a 15% increase over my average 13. picked up about 1000lbs of car parts from a guy.

also, I'm a little annoyed that an IBC tote can't fit through the back hatch into the cargo area. empty one easily rides on a hitch mounted cargo shelf, but still... that back hatch should hinge higher up on the truck.

Originally Posted by 96firephoenix
replaced the dash backlights with LEDs and some of the warning lights - fair warning, some of the bulbs use a check voltage to determine if the "check gages" light needs to come on for a dead bulb. It's enough that it doesn't brighten and incandescent, but the LEDs constantly illuminate enough to think they are on. From memory, the SES, Airbag, battery and brake lights, but those bulbs will be going back to incandescent.

Also, don't do the turn signals - too bright and it's really annoying.
I'm amending this to say that LED on all the warning lights is a bad idea - Cruise control light is staying since it was too dim to see with the incandescent, but the ABS light came on during my trip and i had to set my glasses case on the dash to see anything besides the ABS light, so I guess I'm tearing the dash apart again soon.

Originally Posted by Tylus
so is there anyone on Craigslist or FB Marketplace near you selling Superduty headlights 99-04?

every time I did the 05+ swap on my rigs, I ended up selling the original headlights. And they always had those little fiddly bits on them.
the 03-04 lights have different fiddly bits than the 99-02

Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Drove it to Colorado after fixing the coolant milkshake.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:15 PM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I washed it so it can get dirty again.........

Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rdinmv
I washed it so it can get dirty again.........
Makes me miss pics of LL's truck, and his posts.

Stewart

Old 06-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Makes me miss pics of LL's truck, and his posts.

Stewart
Right....

I text him the other day and haven't heard back yet.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Tbug05LTD
Tuned

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Did the Trans flush/filter change for the Ex's 4R100 today.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:52 PM
2003EXV10
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today my 12 year old and I changed the Alternator. Last week I replaced the steering damper with a bilstein. Next week I hope to change all the fluids...diff, trans, oil, t-case and replace he brake lines with stainless.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:11 PM
geekwithoutacause
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003EXV10
Today my 12 year old and I changed the Alternator. Last week I replaced the steering damper with a bilstein. Next week I hope to change all the fluids...diff, trans, oil, t-case and replace he brake lines with stainless.
what brake lines will you use ? I need to do mine, just looking around which ones.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 PM
Tbug05LTD
Tuned

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Installed a 26 row 6.0 trans cooler on my V10 today. Needed longer bolts on the bottom mounting brackets due to the metal/rubber bushings that the old cooler didn't have. Next week new 4.88 gears.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:52 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 2003EXV10
Why not use the copper nickel brake lines? This is what I use now when I do them. Would be a lot less expensive.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
tried to install some led interior lights... managed to mess up and blow the fuse, but I'm not sure how...

Other than that, used it for truck stuff.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 PM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From mid January to March I used the Ex daily and had no issues. Then over the last few months I only used it a handful of times. It seems the Ex didn't like that and a couple of new issues popped up. After the last drive the pcv valve popped out and oil sprayed everywhere out of the hole. And the input shaft seal on the Redhead steering box finally crapped out and leaked out all the fluid on my driveway, and I mean all of it. On top of that I have a few slight weeping leaks that I never took care of, one of the power steering lines and one of the transmission cooler lines are weeping slowly at the hose to hard line crimp. And on both sides of the top of the radiator I'm getting some seepage as well.

I'm wondering when to call it quits and just get a late model f250. I know these are mostly small and easily fixable issues, maybe the steering box is the costliest, but I'm just getting a little tired of repairing something else every few months. And the rockers aren't getting any less rusty either.....

Has anyone tried replacing the input shaft seal on the steering box?

Edit: these issues are besides the passenger side header that's barely hanging on (been like that for years already) and the brake line running to the rear that's getting pretty crusty.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by DidieX
From mid January to March I used the Ex daily and had no issues. Then over the last few months I only used it a handful of times. It seems the Ex didn't like that and a couple of new issues popped up. After the last drive the pcv valve popped out and oil sprayed everywhere out of the hole. And the input shaft seal on the Redhead steering box finally crapped out and leaked out all the fluid on my driveway, and I mean all of it. On top of that I have a few slight weeping leaks that I never took care of, one of the power steering lines and one of the transmission cooler lines are weeping slowly at the hose to hard line crimp. And on both sides of the top of the radiator I'm getting some seepage as well.

I'm wondering when to call it quits and just get a late model f250. I know these are mostly small and easily fixable issues, maybe the steering box is the costliest, but I'm just getting a little tired of repairing something else every few months. And the rockers aren't getting any less rusty either.....

Edit: these issues are besides the passenger side header that's barely hanging on (been like that for years already) and the brake line running to the rear that's getting pretty crusty.
Owning an older vehicle is a labor of love, I keep the Ex because a new F-350 is right now out of my budget. (Edit: Wife and I love the Ex and will keep it till it falls to pieces.)

Old 06-18-2019, 08:18 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll agree it's a labor of love as well. It can get frustrating because every single item you touch can have consequences on other stuff. I keep mine because I love everything about it.

So, how old is your redhead steering box? Seems like the premium price paid for those should include parts that last a long time. I haven't done much research on them (other than what I read here). Do they have a good warranty?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks to hear man. that being said those all sound relatively easy to fix... Perhaps the manifold being the hardest one of all.

In my case i have more time than money so these repairs are not too big of a deal.

Think about it this way: if you repair the brake lines, exhaust manifolds, and steering leaks, PCV grommets/hoses, chances are you won't have to worry about that stuff for a good long while.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?