Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I didn't unplug the one to the master because I figured like most vehicles that monitors brake fluid level and whatnot. I figured for sure the one going to the booster wasn't doing anything but activating the brakes/vsc as there is no other need to watch or do anything in the booster.

No brake light on but the vsc and traction control light are on, which both came on after the system faulted and sent us into another lane earlier. Like I said, once I get home I will pull the cluster, pull the bulbs for those lights, and be done with that nonsense.

I am sure Tom will be along shortly to tell me about the safety reasons of having the vsc and how I will now kill a school bus load of children and nuns. I'll laugh out loud!
The Ex is at home crying it didn't get to go to Disney World.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
We made it to florida!

Stupid toyota VSC (vehicle stability crap) decided it was going to act up on this trip. Flying down the highway at 75mph it randomly applies the brake to whatever wheel it wants, normally a front one. Which then pulls you instantly into the lane next to you. We are super lucky this started after we got out of the snow and ice in the north or we may have been upside down in the ditch. I talk about it ALL the time, I HATE HATE HATE electronic control systems on vehicles! There should not be anything controlling the brakes or steering on any vehicle. It is a safety issue!

After reading the internet I figured out how to disable the VSC system. When I get home I will pull the bulbs out of the dash for the pos system and forget all about it. At least now we won't die on the way home.

Also after reading I see this is a big problem not only with just toyota. Why they won't issue a recall is stupid. I gues we have to wait for more than a few people to die from something before they try to fix the problem.

This kind of stuff is also why I preach that I will never ever buy a new vehicle. The new ones are junk. Gimme a mechanical vehicle any day, you can keep the electronic crap.
Exact same reason I got rid of my 2011 SD. The electronic controls almost got me killed in the snow. Sold it a couple months later. That computer crap has no clue what to do in any situation and can be dangerous. There's even situations where simple anti lock brakes will do more harm than good. My instinct and experience is a million times better than what any engineer thinks a computer can "help" me with.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:08 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
The Ex is at home crying it didn't get to go to Disney World.
Its happy to stay out of the salt which makes me happy.

Originally Posted by carbon coupe
Exact same reason I got rid of my 2011 SD. The electronic controls almost got me killed in the snow. Sold it a couple months later. That computer crap has no clue what to do in any situation and can be dangerous. There's even situations where simple anti lock brakes will do more harm than good. My instinct and experience is a million times better than what any engineer thinks a computer can "help" me with.
My thoughts exactly. Now if they actually spent the money they can make a great computer system to work but then the vehicles would cost 100K+. However computers and electronics fail so no matter how great the system is some day it will fail and do something wrong which can kill. Even multi million dollar jets that fly on computers crash because of failures.

My limit is the year 2003 with vehicles. Even up to that (like the sequoia) have too much computer control but is normally bypassable. Get newer than that and they incorporate the computers with other junk on the vehicle so much that you can't just shut down one system. Thats not for me, never will be, no thanks. I like to be in control because I know what happens when I input commands to the vehicle. Stick a computer between the operator and the vehicle and it becomes a craps shoot. Add corrosive and conductive salt water to electronics and its anyone guess what will happen. You may get to point B or you might die on the way, good luck.

Going to be exciting to see what happens to teslas after 10-15 years in the salt belt.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:32 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I didn't unplug the one to the master because I figured like most vehicles that monitors brake fluid level and whatnot. I figured for sure the one going to the booster wasn't doing anything but activating the brakes/vsc as there is no other need to watch or do anything in the booster.

No brake light on but the vsc and traction control light are on, which both came on after the system faulted and sent us into another lane earlier. Like I said, once I get home I will pull the cluster, pull the bulbs for those lights, and be done with that nonsense.

I am sure Tom will be along shortly to tell me about the safety reasons of having the vsc and how I will now kill a school bus load of children and nuns. I'll laugh out loud!

Who me? Nope, I drive older cars for a variety of reasons, over complicated electronics is one of them and I really don't care for Nanny systems at all. My '05 EX is the newest vehicle in my personal fleet, my Winter car is an '01 Suzuki Vitara 4X4 that has very minimal computer controls and my Summer ride is the '94 Geo (Suzuki) Metro which has no Nanny systems at all, very basic and super reliable, funny how those two items tend to be related. My '69 Trans Am's most complicated piece of electronics is the capacitor in the breaker points distributor.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:32 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Who me? Nope, I drive older cars for a variety of reasons, over complicated electronics is one of them and I really don't care for Nanny systems at all. My '05 EX is the newest vehicle in my personal fleet, my Winter car is an '01 Suzuki Vitara 4X4 that has very minimal computer controls and my Summer ride is the '94 Geo (Suzuki) Metro which has no Nanny systems at all, very basic and super reliable, funny how those two items tend to be related. My '69 Trans Am's most complicated piece of electronics is the capacitor in the breaker points distributor.
Nope, not you, sorry for that confusion. Another Tom on here that goes by some other screen name (might be just Tom, I forget). I actually haven't seen him around for awhile now. I wonder is he still is around. If he is I am sure he will comment on me unplugging the vsc system. lol

Old 01-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Disney is crazy. Its too big. We did one park today, doing another wednesday, and a third thursday or friday. I am sick of people already.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:10 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
today and yesterday I just drove it. about 100mi from needing an oil change, and with this forcast and only a single stall garage, it aint happening this week.......the Ex and my 2 other vehicles are staying plugged in for sure. I was in college in 2004 in Grand Forks, that was horrible

Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Wisconsin is seeing -51 all week this week I hear. Those poor sob's! lol

Old 01-29-2019, 08:42 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Disney is crazy. Its too big. We did one park today, doing another wednesday, and a third thursday or friday. I am sick of people already.
You couldn't pay me to go to Disney. My kids are all older now, so it's not like they'd really want to go, but didn't take them young either. The local amusement park is bad enough.

I'm slowly turning into a curmudgeon.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:15 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Now if they actually spent the money they can make a great computer system to work but then the vehicles would cost 100K+. However computers and electronics fail so no matter how great the system is some day it will fail and do something wrong which can kill. Even multi million dollar jets that fly on computers crash because of failures.

My limit is the year 2003 with vehicles. Even up to that (like the sequoia) have too much computer control but is normally bypassable. Get newer than that and they incorporate the computers with other junk on the vehicle so much that you can't just shut down one system. Thats not for me, never will be, no thanks. I like to be in control because I know what happens when I input commands to the vehicle. Stick a computer between the operator and the vehicle and it becomes a craps shoot. Add corrosive and conductive salt water to electronics and its anyone guess what will happen. You may get to point B or you might die on the way, good luck.
This is why I stick to my 2001 and 2005 Excursion, the 2005 has a few more bells and whistles, but nothing that can't be easily fixed.

The new Super Duties are nice, but when an electronic failure occurs or you HPFP decides to go boom, you may be looking at a second mortgage. So I keep my '01 and '05 Excursion knowing I can fix them if they break or have issues. Parts may not be as plentiful as they were, but I atleast know where to look.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Wisconsin is seeing -51 all week this week I hear. Those poor sob's! lol
my pic was actual temps, not windchill. we are expecting just shy of -60F tonight and tomorrow

currently -22F with -54F windchill

Old 01-29-2019, 11:14 AM
DidieX
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100
my pic was actual temps, not windchill. we are expecting just shy of -60F tonight and tomorrow

currently -22F with -54F windchill
Damn! Stay warm and safe. We're supposed to go down to a balmy -1F.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:22 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Around my area, SE corner of PA we dip into single digits once or twice each Winter for a day or two and I hate it, I can not fathom regularly dealing with temps as low as you guys are discussing above! I'm looking forward to our retirement in five years and heading South to warmer areas, at least when it's cold up here.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by DidieX
Damn! Stay warm and safe. We're supposed to go down to a balmy -1F.
trying to not leave the house today, but might have to if my work figures out some airplane movements......

Old 01-29-2019, 03:28 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Its going to be colder than a witches ti.....uh in a brass....uh, it'll be really cold here as well. 20-40 below with windchill and its windy today. Truck is staying plugged in but Im not driving it to work. No place to plug it in and Im not going out every hour to fire it up. I'll just drive the cop car, if it dies, I'll take my plate and call Uber.

Speaking of plugging it in at work, they allow owners of hybrids to plug theirs in for 4 hours......wheres my measly 110 outlet for my block heater? Bunch of aholes. Supposed to be 40 above in a few days so I figure I'll be washing the EX. Its covered with that evil white stuff.....not snow.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?