Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been working on replacing all of my battery cables with upgraded ones and military style terminals while installing the new odyssey extreme batts.... got down to the starter connection which promptly pulled out of the starter. . Now waiting on the new denso to arrive so I can get the ol girl back on the road...

Old 02-27-2018, 06:14 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86
What did you spray on the rockers? I must have missed your posts regarding the subject.
This stuff. https://nhoilundercoating.com/

Also bought a cheap undercoating gun from amazon that came with tubes for shoving into holes and crevasses. Worked great. I'll post a couple of pics this evening. Going to rotate the tires, the weather is supposed to be nice.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe

Also bought a cheap undercoating gun from amazon that came with tubes for shoving into holes and crevasses. Worked great. I'll post a couple of pics this evening. Going to rotate the tires, the weather is supposed to be nice.

how much did you buy?

Old 02-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Dawnie Shinn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks great!! How easy was it? My driver's seat is trashed with duct tape on it... I was going to replace the whole seat but then saw you can just get the cushion and change it out.
Dawn
2002 In a redoing condition.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:40 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawnie Shinn
That looks great!! How easy was it? My driver's seat is trashed with duct tape on it... I was going to replace the whole seat but then saw you can just get the cushion and change it out.
Dawn
It only took a few of hours start to finish.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:05 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawnie Shinn
Dawn
The new seat cover, if bought from a quality business like The Seat Shop, will come with a 1/2" layer of foam attached to the bottom/inside of it. What you think is shreaded seat cushion on your X, could just be the foam backing that is attached to the seat cover. You might not need a new cushion unless it is crushed flat.

The Seat Shop also has videos on their site that take you through the process step-by-step. Not hard at all.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:11 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86
What did you spray on the rockers? I must have missed your posts regarding the subject.
AS PROMISED.....

Attached Images     
Old 02-28-2018, 05:14 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe

I'm going to look into that stuff. About to weld new rockers in, clean up the pinch weld and POR-15 everything. A coat of this stuff can't hurt on top

Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Im going to do more of the floor pan this summer. I may pull the tank and hitch and do everything above there too. Also get the hitch and tank cover blasted for powder coat. I'll install my new fill tube and check the pickup in the tank as well. I need to make this truck last a while. Once my building is done I can store it inside and keep it out of the salt.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd be interested to hear how well it holds up over time.

I've always said oil is the best for undercoating. If that stuff holds one for longer then a few years I might give it a try.

For now I'll keep coating with the free waste oil.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:14 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Took the day off today. I was tired of the constant klunking under the front and back. I had put on new end links last fall, turns out they were junk, I guess I got what I paid for. I bought some new Moog sway bar end links and put them on last night, problem solved. Now for the rear, took of the air bags, they were leaking anyway never could figure out where they were leaking from. Took it fir a drive, much better but still something noisy back there. Took off the Hellwig, noise is gone. I have a nice quiet ride now, so much more relaxing. I installed some Timbrens so we will see how they work over time.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:19 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I'd be interested to hear how well it holds up over time.

I've always said oil is the best for undercoating. If that stuff holds one for longer then a few years I might give it a try.

For now I'll keep coating with the free waste oil.
I can tell ya this, Michigan winter and roads with salt, 2 trips to Canada and a trip to Notre Dame (hockey tourneys) during our last big snow storm and 70+ miles round trip for work (dont drive the truck every day, just bad snow days)... it still looks like the day I sprayed it on. I know its only been 1 season but its still gooey and I expect during the summer it will ooze into all the unreachable areas.

I will be spraying more areas before next winter hoping to have all critical areas covered. I plan on letting the rockers go another season without respray.

Next is either replacing the front doors or fixing the bottom. Not flapping in the wind but needs to be fixed.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
@carbon coupe thanks for the photos. I think you talked me into buying some. I'll use the same gun I spray my bedliner with to apply the undercoating.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Flyboy1100
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
cleaned IAC, mostly for the heck of it. wasn't too bad, but very awkward to remove, installation was much easier.

swapped the other 8 coils, checked the rest of the plugs to make sure still tight, got brave and set my torque wrench to 28ft/lbs, most took a few degrees to make it click. still reporting 1 misfire on cylinder 9 i think from mode $06 data, still trying to figure that out. happens almost right away, then not any more.

i think at least one (#4) has been fixed before? not sure if it is just dirty looking or this is an insert? didn't scope the others, but I plan to check the torque on this one again in a few hundred miles

Old 02-28-2018, 09:16 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Could Have Been Worse

I didn't realize how lucky I was that this didn't happen on the highway!

It just sheared off at the base of the pitman arm.

Somebody was watching over me for sure.

Tied it up called AAA towed it to my buddies shop and called Ford and picked up all the parts.

Already had the Dual Steering Stabilizer setup which I was going to do this weekend, plans have a tendency to change.

After a few hours, I was back on the road including a front end alignment.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?