Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed a Ford TripTunes module today. My dad bought this years ago for something else and didn't use it, so I figured I could use it. Finally got tired of sitting around and decided to install it.

I tapped into a power source for my air spring compressor, so technically this was a no drill/no cut mod, and it works great! I usually want to just listen to the V10 sing in the rare occasion I drive it, but I wanted the option to play from my phone if I wanted.

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2017, 11:52 PM
mike71800b
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lubed zerks in the front end replaced sway bar links and tightened Ubolts.
Wow didn't expect those to be loose...
Using a 3/4 drive ratchet would guess they started off b/t 60 and 80 ft lbs.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Used mine to go to brunch in Girdwood,AK today with 4 friends and two small children who amazingly sat in their car seats in the third row without fighting!

Bout 60 miles round trip, kept a nice slow pace since they are patroling the heck out of that stretch of highway. I saw people pulled over on the way out and on the way back in.

As always the Ex ran flawlessly!

Old 10-16-2017, 06:50 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Originally Posted by DeltaV
Finally finished rocker rebuild today. Color didn't match as good as I hoped, but it still looks nice. Will be covered by the doors most of the time anyway. Used Raptor liner and tinted it with factory paint.
Did both sides, wheel well to wheel well. Sure the neighbors hate me by now with all the noise. And yes... I need to mow haha
Looks pretty good for advanced cancer. Do you mow that massive lawn with scissors?

Old 10-16-2017, 07:07 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Finally finished rocker rebuild today. Color didn't match as good as I hoped, but it still looks nice. Will be covered by the doors most of the time anyway. Used Raptor liner and tinted it with factory paint. Did both sides, wheel well to wheel well. Sure the neighbors hate me by now with all the noise.
where did you source the new rocker metal?

Mine aren't rusted through yet, but the metal is thin enough that I can punch a screwdriver through. It's a snowday project for me this winter. Really like how you did the bedliner

Old 10-16-2017, 07:59 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Finally got to wash mine yesterday. Also installed my LED headlamps. These are the ones with the fans that fit in the stock lamp housings. Had to cut the lamp retention ring to clear the fan and wiring. Wont mention the company. When I tested them before installation, they were super bright, not even with the high beams on. Not sure I like them yet. The light doesnt seem to project as far as the halogens. I need to aim the beams, something I needed to do even before this. Hopefully it helps. I have the smooth lens lamps, not the older faceted ones.

My rockers have been done for a month or so. They didnt do a great job on the back side, in fact, I will be doing more work myself. The outside looks great though and the steps are solid as a rock.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:53 AM
DeltaV
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Looks pretty good for advanced cancer. Do you mow that massive lawn with scissors?
I'll have you know that is 500 square feet of the toughest weeds you have ever seen! Ha. tried to make it pretty when we first bought the place, got too expensive as the soil is rocks and red clay. Bought a 40v Ryobi mower and trimmer and I am pleasantly surprised at how well they work.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 AM
DeltaV
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tylus
where did you source the new rocker metal?

Mine aren't rusted through yet, but the metal is thin enough that I can punch a screwdriver through. It's a snowday project for me this winter. Really like how you did the bedliner
you can find them on eBay or here...
https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/ford-pickup-suv-and-van/ford-excursion/

only gripe is the square hole with rubber plug in it, near the rear of the rear rockers, does not line up. Minor issue but irritating none the less.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:38 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
Finally got to wash mine yesterday. Also installed my LED headlamps. These are the ones with the fans that fit in the stock lamp housings. Had to cut the lamp retention ring to clear the fan and wiring. Wont mention the company. When I tested them before installation, they were super bright, not even with the high beams on. Not sure I like them yet. The light doesnt seem to project as far as the halogens. I need to aim the beams, something I needed to do even before this. Hopefully it helps. I have the smooth lens lamps, not the older faceted ones.

My rockers have been done for a month or so. They didnt do a great job on the back side, in fact, I will be doing more work myself. The outside looks great though and the steps are solid as a rock.
You won't hardly be able to tell the difference from low to high. I took mine out and sitting next to my reloading press right now! They seem to wash out when you come around any other light sources. If you are alone on the road and its pitch dark they are great, but it seemed like halogen lights from other cars would wash out my pattern. Kinda weird, but you will notice it. Working on HID retro right now!!

Old 10-16-2017, 11:04 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
My personal experience using HID/LED bulbs directly in the Halogen housing has always been bad. If you stand in front of them, they are insanely bright. Sit behind the wheel and it leaves you wondering where all that light went

The best use of LED/HID bulbs (regardless of the manufacturer) is to retrofit a good quality projector that will direct the light output correctly. If you look at the halogen bulb, they light up the entire housing (360*) unlike the LED bulbs that light up on the top and bottom.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Zagato78
New User
Today,

V code springs installed up front.
New idle pulley
New belt tensioner
New belt.

Been a good day!

Old 10-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
got my new exhaust sorted out. Found a brand new Walker tailpipe, 12" cherry bomb, and 20" of pipe. welded to the end of my cat.

not as loud as straight pipe, which is good. But still a nice rumble. and anything is better than the crusted out muffler and tailpipe that I removed

not bad for $95 and never having welded exhaust before. only had 3 pinhole leaks when I fired her up. nice and sealed now

now just need to find a pretty exhaust tip and coat the pipe with BBQ paint to prevent early rust demise

Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by agsmv1
You won't hardly be able to tell the difference from low to high. I took mine out and sitting next to my reloading press right now! They seem to wash out when you come around any other light sources. If you are alone on the road and its pitch dark they are great, but it seemed like halogen lights from other cars would wash out my pattern. Kinda weird, but you will notice it. Working on HID retro right now!!
Originally Posted by unleashd
My personal experience using HID/LED bulbs directly in the Halogen housing has always been bad. If you stand in front of them, they are insanely bright. Sit behind the wheel and it leaves you wondering where all that light went

The best use of LED/HID bulbs (regardless of the manufacturer) is to retrofit a good quality projector that will direct the light output correctly. If you look at the halogen bulb, they light up the entire housing (360*) unlike the LED bulbs that light up on the top and bottom.
Exactly what Im experiencing. May go back to the halogens tonight. I did find some LED's that claim to have a 360 glow pattern but with a small price tag, Im sure quality is top priority.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:21 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Finally finished rocker rebuild today. Color didn't match as good as I hoped, but it still looks nice. Will be covered by the doors most of the time anyway. Used Raptor liner and tinted it with factory paint.
Did both sides, wheel well to wheel well. Sure the neighbors hate me by now with all the noise. And yes... I need to mow haha
Looks just like my truck....and I just had my rockers fixed too....mine were a bit worse. Yours looks good with the line-x stuff. I did just bought some fancy undercoating/oil stuff (NH Oil) to spray on/in my rockers. Hopefully do that this weekend. Any left and I'll do the seams on the rest of the body. May even do the oil pan.....

Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 PM
SuperDad
Tuned
Originally Posted by fordboy67
SuperDad, did those wheels require the spacers? They look awesome!

Yes, I'm running 2" spacers

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?