Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Replaced the front brakes today. One of the slide pins was completely frozen and not budging. Fortunately the local parts store had the bracket in stock. I went with new pins on both sides. Also, the driver side outer bearing was toast. Sadly, the new bearing says CHINA.

I've had the rotors sitting around for a couple years, I think they were some kind of a closeout at Rock auto. They got a bit rusty, (bad storage spot) so had to have them machined. Went with Hawk LTS pads. I haven't driven it yet, it's raining out at the moment.

I know many people don't like 4 post lifts, but so far I am loving it. The built in table comes in handy for a brake job.

Here's the rolling jack holding things up.

I have that same bend pack - but in red - love it!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replaced the front brakes today. One of the slide pins was completely frozen and not budging. Fortunately the local parts store had the bracket in stock. I went with new pins on both sides. Also, the driver side outer bearing was toast. Sadly, the new bearing says CHINA.

I've had the rotors sitting around for a couple years, I think they were some kind of a closeout at Rock auto. They got a bit rusty, (bad storage spot) so had to have them machined. Went with Hawk LTS pads. I haven't driven it yet, it's raining out at the moment.

I know many people don't like 4 post lifts, but so far I am loving it. The built in table comes in handy for a brake job.

Seems safer to me but I am no expert on them....

Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Krispy Kreme is based in NC and there are stores everywhere. Years ago I had a friend who was doing a ride along with a local Police Dept and there was a special 10 code used when the "hot doughnuts now" light came on.
The people of Alaska myself included longed for Krispy Kreme to come up. For decades myself and many people I know would stop off before going to the airport in the lower 48 and bringing dozens back with them.

They had like 150 people camped out when our local one opened a few weeks ago. They are supposed to be opening more locations, which would be great because I hate having to drive across town for them...but that might help out with the weight problem I've started having haha

Old 09-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Worldwatcher
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
believe it or not, but the krispy creme franchise in Metro phoenix actually went out of business. Not sure ho they managed that but.... They finally came back a few years ago.
Couldnt believe this! I live up on the north side of phx and they put in 2 near me and both closed down quick. I went to college in Spartanburg, SC and one of the original locations is still open adjacent to the campus... Love them

Old 09-11-2016, 01:42 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
You can install a snow plow mount the same on an excursion as a F-250/350 pickup, it's all identical.

I'm planning on installing my mount and wiring harness before it snows...
its not gonna snow, who are you trying to fool?

Old 09-11-2016, 04:13 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
its not gonna snow, who are you trying to fool?
I have A LOT of red plows sitting in the yard at work that are causing me to start my snow dance already. It better snow this year....

Old 09-11-2016, 10:05 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I have A LOT of red plows sitting in the yard at work that are causing me to start my snow dance already. It better snow this year....
Wanna trade me a V for my straight blade?

Old 09-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind 4 posters as long as it has the jacks that you have. The jacks make a 4 post usable.
I'm gonna use the hawk Lts or severe duty on my excursion next brake job. I have the lts on my explorer and like them allot although they do make grinding noises from time to time but that doesn't bother me. I think the super duty and excursion are heavy enough to warrant the severe duty pads.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:03 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ordered a 230 amp Neece-Neville alternator and a 58mm pulley. Also getting the alternator wiring kit from FICM repair. Can't wait!

A shout out to ToreadorDiesel for advising me on what to get!

Old 09-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Magilla_v6.0
Senior User
Originally Posted by Magnus E
Ordered a 230 amp Neece-Neville alternator and a 58mm pulley. Also getting the alternator wiring kit from FICM repair. Can't wait!

A shout out to ToreadorDiesel for advising me on what to get!
Great alternator, I have one on my 6.0 it's a beast!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnus E

A shout out to Toreador_Diesel for advising me on what to get!
Glad I could be of assistance!

Just paying forward what I've learned.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:15 PM
BigMESA
Freshman User
Plastic dipped my mirror arms. Love this stuff.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:39 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Now that I've driven on the Michelin LTX M/S 265/70r16s, I am sure glad I bit the bullet and snagged this 25% used set. Nice and quiet and don't feel like truck tires. I will only be on highways and biways, always a full hookup...

I will have to go back to 75s if we get a bigger TT.. it's 1000 lbs difference between the 70 and 75 tire...

Old 09-11-2016, 09:09 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyG
Now that I've driven on the Michelin LTX M/S 265/70r16s, I am sure glad I bit the bullet and snagged this 25% used set. Nice and quiet and don't feel like truck tires. I will only be on highways and biways, always a full hookup...

I will have to go back to 75s if we get a bigger TT.. it's 1000 lbs difference between the 70 and 75 tire...
... just don't let them get dry rotted. Replace when you see them cracking. I had a blow out on one even though the tire store said they'd be fine 2 weeks before.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Refilled my small bottle of stanadyne from my big bottle of stanadyne. Also just realized yesterday I've put 5k miles on the X since I bought it back in mid June. A 2 week trip to South Dakota in July and a 2 day trip to Tulsa last weekend. Been driving it to work 4 days a week to. Time for her second oil change since I've been courting her. She's been real good to me so far. ( knocking on wood as I say that)

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?