Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:57 PM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
So we didn't need to spend $700 on a Champion 3100 generator?? How much do those little runs cost? Heater runs off propane unless we want to plug in a little space heater. We have yet to use our A/C. Would be nice to have one like that instead of lugging the heavy one with all the time!
Nope you didn't. I have two generators. One is a little 1200 watt to keep batteries charged, to watch tv, and other little stuff. Than I have a 4800 watt one for making coffee, running microwave and A/C. I made a mount on the front of the camper for the big one, and carry the little one in a tool box I mounted on the rear of the camper. I think I paid $115 for the little one, and $400 for the big one.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:18 PM
gwh1bass
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Drove the Ex yesterday because it has the snow tires still on, roads are pretty good now though. Stopped in and dropped a bunch of parts off at the shop that has the Cougar, it's getting real close now. Then stopped by the parts store and got a new alternator for the '91 F-250 as it decided to die on me. Not bad though the last alternator was put in March 2002 about a week before the transmission blew up in a huge snow storm.

Also picked up new blades for the Excursion, went with a 22" on the pass side this time.

Oh and i found cookies!!!!

AND I scored a great running little generator for my camper, its only 600W but all i need it for is to keep the 12v batteries charged for the heater, water pump, lights and radio.
You use 24" blades with no problem? They make good contact the entire length?

Old 03-06-2016, 04:25 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
We bought a set of the Honda EU2000i generators back when we had the toyhauler and spent a lot of time at the race track without hookups. One by itself will keep the batts topped off and run lights and such. With both running they link together and will supply a full 30 amp RV supply and run everything including the AC. But we paid a lot more for them...... Now we almost exclusively stay at full hookup sites and they have seen more duty as power supplies during post storm outages as we loan them out to friends and neighbors in need. They are real fuel sippers that can run for hours on a tankful and they are super quiet.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:30 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We looked at the dual Honda setup but went the Costco Champion route to save $$. Could by 3 of my Chapman's for almost the same output as the 2 Hondas. Just don't have the luxury of using only half of it.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:51 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
We looked at the dual Honda setup but went the Costco Champion route to save $$. Could by 3 of my Chapman's for almost the same output as the 2 Hondas. Just don't have the luxury of using only half of it.
Sometimes money $$$ needs to be spent.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:17 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
If I was to buy a generator I would definitely go for a Honda 2000 without even having to think about it. It's all my uncle and I use camping and all we use at work for mobile power. The ecomode is great and pure sine wave power is awesome.

Obviously it doesn't have all the power needed for some applications and they're very pricey - but they're the best on the market without any doubt

Old 03-06-2016, 05:24 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I'll be waking my EX up from it's Winter sleep this Tuesday, I haven't driven it since Thanksgiving and we are pulling out for a 600 mile tow to TN on Friday. Will have to give it a good once-over twice to be sure we are ready.

Took mine out of winter hibernation yesterday..... last driven around Christmas. Gawd I love global warming ! Had enough rain around here most of the salt is gone off the roads. On the down side, I reckon I'm gonna need a new set of batteries by fall.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:30 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
I've got a single Honda EU2000i for my camper (and occasional power outages at home). Best $400 I ever spent. Got a parallel kit but need to get around to buying a second so I could run the A/C if'n I wanted (Tom, just sell me one of yours!). I made an external tank kit using an outboard tank (try thatwith your Yamaha! ).... that sucker will run my fridge and lights in my house for like 4 days or more. Man those little Hondas are da bomb !!

Old 03-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
What did you do to the X today?

Originally Posted by mecdac
Sometimes money $$$ needs to be spent.
Didn't mean to get in a generator debate here.

Anyways, yes, everyone knows that Hondas are the best. Nothing wrong with our Champion though. Does the work of 2 Honda 2000s. If you look on RV forums they are getting good pretty popular because people don't want to spend the $$. Just as quiet but a bit heavier. I was just pointing out that it would be nice to have the option of a smaller one for trips where we don't need a/c.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Originally Posted by IMASAP
I've got a single Honda EU2000i for my camper (and occasional power outages at home). Best $400 I ever spent. Got a parallel kit but need to get around to buying a second so I could run the A/C if'n I wanted (Tom, just sell me one of yours!). I made an external tank kit using an outboard tank (try thatwith your Yamaha! ).... that sucker will run my fridge and lights in my house for like 4 days or more. Man those little Hondas are da bomb !!
$400????? They are selling for more like $1000.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Hitagain
Mountain Pass
Well finished up the latest upgrades, New bellowed up pipes, New 4" exhaust, rebuilt Turbo with new wheel from SPTurboost, FRx, Hpx, Plenum inserts, New Intake boots, and AIH delete. Not I cant keep the boots on the intercooler pipes now so ordered the rest of the boots from riffraff and now my fuel drain valve is leaking. Fun never ends....

Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 PM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
I'd say you stole it to find one for $400! Nice score.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:49 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic

Not on CL !!

Bought mine from a couple selling everything and moving south. He even threw in the parallel kit. I woulda bought his second one too if he would part with it. It was like new, still had the tags on it.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
So we didn't need to spend $700 on a Champion 3100 generator?? How much do those little runs cost? Heater runs off propane unless we want to plug in a little space heater. We have yet to use our A/C. Would be nice to have one like that instead of lugging the heavy one with all the time!
You can't run your Micro, AC, or heater without a big generator. Well, you can run your heater, but you'll drain your batteries quick like.

We looked at the dual Honda setup but went the Costco Champion route to save $$.
I didn't know Champion made an inverter generator. Good info.

Just as quiet but a bit heavier.
Good to know.

I bought a Boliy (Chinese knock-off of the Honda line) back in '07 and it worked great up until last year.

Not on CL !!
Same here. Bought a Honda EU2000 on CL that was only a couple years old with barely any run hours on it. The guy threw in his parallel kit too.

Stewart

Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM
phager
Freshman User
Today after work, I managed to mostly finish the install on my Joying head unit. I still need to finish the installation of the back up camera, everything is done except for power and ground to the camera and the physical mounting of it. I still don't have the steering wheel controls functional even though I tapped in to the wire mentioned here and in the Metra kit. I might not even worry about it, I've gone this long without it, and this head unit has the volume ****.

I also replaced the power point on the dash with a USB port and aux input port. It looks pretty slick, once I get the dash put back on I post a pic of the install.

I also am about 90% done with reinstalling the missing trailer hook ups. It looks like my Ex was in an accident at some point, although note reported on the Carfax. When I pulled the passenger side tail light, I noticed a bunch of overspray in the cavity. To be honest, even knowing that, I can't see any other evidence of it being resprayed so the blending was pretty well done, I just wish they'd have replaced the 7 way when they did the work.

One last funny thing, for the third time in as many weeks, I've had some random person come up to me and ask me if I'd be willing to sell it. Even when I had my Mustang, I never had that happen.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?