clutch release spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
eels67
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch release spring

Hi, back again with a question.

I was doing an examination under my 67 f100 with manual 3 speed on column and I noticed the long clutch release spring is basically just hanging down broken. It's attached at the bottom lever, but the curl at the end of the straight part is broken off and looks to have been broken for some time. My question is where does the long end attach to and what is this spring's purpose? The clutch still springs up fine in the cab. I'm not a mechanic, as you can tell. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Darrin

Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM
jackslater
Senior User
Um, if it's anything like the 4-speed clutch linkage the spring attaches to a metal tab that is attached to the inside of the DS frame rail. The other end attaches to the clutch "fork" that goes thru the bell housing.

I think it would be best to have this spring as it helps hold the clutch adjusting screw and nut together.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
eels67
New User
Thanks Jack!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I ran without one for a long time, but what happens without one is that the T/O bearing is aways resting against the pressure plate and spinning, which can wear it out prematurely. The spring helps pull it back just enough to hold it in the clear. I'd replace it.

I ran the long end of the spring forward past the steering box and hooked it into the edge of the hole in the gusset between the frame rail the the crossmember. I just got a universal spring from Autozone with a long straight end that allowed me to bend the hook into it wherever I wanted it.