Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Back up lights - Quick, Easy, & Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
And thanks everybody! ya I would like to have the option of turning them on when people tailgate me too. As for now if i need the lights on the side of the road for something I just turn off my truck, set my E-Brake, and put my truck into reverse. But be careful, I was surprised at how much juice they pull when you're truck isnt on.

I think I'll incorporate a switch to be able to turn them on while in drive as well but still keep the "auto reverse function". Is this possible? and how? anyone?.... this would definitely keep the tailgaters back with the way i have them angled = )

Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
these are 55watt driving lights...wired with a 30 amp relay like diagram bellow they light up just like low beam head lights and they hide very well so the 6 foot snow banks dont clean them out...

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
so setting it up like that would allow me to switch it on even in drive and have it turn on? and still capable of turning on in reverse no matter which way the switch is?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:17 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Spool&Go
so setting it up like that would allow me to switch it on even in drive and have it turn on? and still capable of turning on in reverse no matter which way the switch is?
yes just like above...they will always come on when in reverse and any time you flip the swich..

Old 08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i saved the diagram from this thread a long time a go..glad i did..there missing in his post now....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...with-pics.html

Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
these are 55watt driving lights...wired with a 30 amp relay like diagram bellow they light up just like low beam head lights and they hide very well so the 6 foot snow banks dont clean them out...

Those look good and think I could bolt them to the back side of my running boards to light up beside my truck like the ones i had on my dumps
I like lots of light when i back up at night
Where did you find them

Old 08-11-2010, 06:50 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
i got them at a place called VIP...its like a pepboys..
these give me plenty of light beside me and up to the tail end

man i really suck at night shot's

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bought the same lights as you last year at Wally's, same price. I installed them before last years RRE. I just ran a seperate line back from a switch I tucked right below the ignition key, in that crevas if you will. Don't mind the date, it was majorly off... Also, thats an extra tow hitch I had, I put it on for extra protection from a hit in the rear..

Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Ron and Mike, those are sweet set ups! good job. And I am thinking about getting some running board lights like those, but i have the stainless steel running boards with the black plastic steps on them. do you have those things set up to where they are always on when your truck is? I would either like them to do that or to come on when i unlock the truck with keyless entry. only problem is i dont have keyless entry and i still need to do the actuator fix trick ha

Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Knoxentucky
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce, Thanks for the info. If you've got some pics it always helps. But thanks for the response . And Ray, I really like how your lights are tucked up in there. They are bright enough for you? Thanks, Tony

Old 08-13-2010, 04:12 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
the running lights are mounted to a piece of drip edge I had left over from when I put a new roof on my house(the roof just happend to be black)...the lights wouldn't fit on my running boards...they are hooked to the parking lights..
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...came-late.html

I just picked up some glow tape from my local big truck chrome shop.. they stick on and look just like a piece of masking tape when mounted and they glow purple..they have other colors too...I'm going to put them down under the doors on the rocker panel out of sight and wire them to my dome light...the dome light comes on when I unlock my doors with the key fob.....i thought about putting them on the very bottom of the door...but it would only light the ground when the door is open...still tossing that idea around..

Old 08-13-2010, 04:36 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Going to do the reverse lights next.

Did the LED strips just on the edge of the running boards.

Day time - you can just see them peeking out:
Picasa Web Albums - SingleSpeedSimon - F250

Night time -
Picasa Web Albums - SingleSpeedSimon - F250

Wired up via a relay to the dome light, and via a second relay to the parking lights.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
looks good....i like the looks of the strips..the only problem is when each diod goes out on one stick.(and they do that often on the sticks)..they look like a really cute blond with teeth missing when they are on..the only fix is a whole new strip...my lights come with a life time warranty... if one diod goes out....they give me a new light..

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Trucky2
Senior User
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke

I love the look of how those are mounted, nice and clean. Do you have any close-ups of the actual mount?

Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 AM
wla6518
Senior User
I just did the backup lights on my new bumpers a couple of weeks ago.
Wired them up to come on with reverse and on a switch. I have to say its one of the most practical mods ive done recently. You will definitely like having it on a switch!
I use it a lot more than I thought I would.

one thing to add to Rons diagram, it doesnt hurt to add a 3-5a fuse in line on the switch as well, just for added safety.

Quick Reply: New Back up lights - Quick, Easy, & Cheap