Sponsored by: DP Tuner

01 f250 quiting

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM
koonhunter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 01 f250 quiting

i have 01 with a 7.3 ,have had this truck 4 years just started quiting when it get hot u can let it set for a while it start back up & run good, may serveral mile to do it agan any one had this to happen & what was wrong, thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 07:58 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

When was the last time you changed the CPS?Will is just die and restart?Any hesitating from a stop when you are trying to get going again?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
on the main 7.3page there is a 'search this forum' button on the upper right side of the page. type in key words and see what comes up.

It seems to me that it may be a CPS problem. can you be a little more discriptive on what happens when it shuts down. Is is as if the key is turned off or does it bog down as if it is starved for fuel?

Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have a look at this LINK. Get one from your wonderful Ford dealer for around 25 $.

EDIT: There is a recall on the CPS. Ask your dealer about it and you may get one free.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
koonhunter
New User
Question

its just begans to spit & spudder and quits let set for while start back & run good , change fuel filter 2 week ago but was not having this problem. CPS is that crank sensor

Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
CPS is that crank sensor
Yes, crank postion.

If it is this sensor as your problem, it may get worse over time or stay the same. I had this problem only when it rained. I think a little water was getting past the seal and causing a short. after a short time it would 'dry' out and be ok...until it rained again. I am not so sure that it was the 'sensor', but the elements causing the sensor to trip. In the mean time, you can take the sensor out and put a bead of vasoline around the rubber seal to seal it better from the elements. When/if you get a new sensor do the same with a small bead of vasoline. not on the sensor, but on the rubber seal.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:39 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Mine started bucking and getting stupid the other day...twice and finally coasting up to a red light, it just shut off. I bumped it into neutral and it fired right back up, but it kinda scared me. What if I had the 9500# fiver behind me and I just started down that 7% grade up on I26??? I had the CPS replaced during the racall, should I go get one and put it in myself? Have they come down to a reasonable price at the dealers since the recall? Thanks for any advice.....Dave

Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 AM
koonhunter
New User
cost me $26.00 at dealer thats not bad, change feul filter again & the sensor going to see what happen.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
I had the CPS replaced during the racall, should I go get one and put it in myself? Have they come down to a reasonable price at the dealers since the recall? Thanks for any advice.....Dave <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I believe that a 'code' should have been tripped. Do you have a way to read the codes?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
I didn't get a check engine light yet. It has stuttered and bucked a couple of times.....I would say, once a day since I had driven it every day. It is not my daily driver but I had since sunday. Today it only did it once. I really don't want to pay the big bucks to have the codes pulled when there is no light on but if it might have held soft codes I should get it checked....Thanks for the advice...

Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
It has stuttered and bucked a couple of times
Dave I don't have any suggestions for you at this time, but youy might be able to find an answer by using the 'search this forum' button.

I would hate for you to pay someone to pull your codes. 'Codes' can be tripped and the check engine light will not come on. I have a 'SuperChip' tuner and it also reads codes. I see that you that a 'tuner', can it read your codes? I don't ever remember my CEL coming on, but every month or so I check the coder reader and sometimes there is something there. I have a mid range OBDII reader and it Will Not read the codes on my 7.3, I only use it for my cars.