Need advice, Must install IC asap

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM
redone1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice, Must install IC asap

Ok,

I have a 7.3 IC in my barn just waiting to be put in. But i have had zero luck finding an early '99 y pipe. I look real hard and get discouraged and then stop, then look again, etc. etc....I must not have the skills in locating the elusive E99 spyder LOL.

I just got a new gooseneck and will be towing 14,000 total weight on the trailer. I know I can haul it withouth an IC, but i have to be really careful doing it. And I wouldn't want anyone else other than me pulling a load like this without an IC. And there will be times when someone else will have to pull it.

So.. couple questions...

1. Does anyone have advice as the how I can obtain the y-pipe?

2. Can I use a SD y pipe if I upgrade to SD intake plenums? Will it fit to my stock turbo? I'm tempted to do this if it will work. Then I will already have my upgraded plenums for a larger turbo down the road.

thanks in advance folks - Pete

Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by redone1
Ok,

I have a 7.3 IC in my barn just waiting to be put in. But i have had zero luck finding an early '99 y pipe. I look real hard and get discouraged and then stop, then look again, etc. etc....I must not have the skills in locating the elusive E99 spyder LOL.

I just got a new gooseneck and will be towing 14,000 total weight on the trailer. I know I can haul it withouth an IC, but i have to be really careful doing it. And I wouldn't want anyone else other than me pulling a load like this without an IC. And there will be times when someone else will have to pull it.

So.. couple questions...

1. Does anyone have advice as the how I can obtain the y-pipe?

2. Can I use a SD y pipe if I upgrade to SD intake plenums? Will it fit to my stock turbo? I'm tempted to do this if it will work. Then I will already have my upgraded plenums for a larger turbo down the road.

thanks in advance folks - Pete
The late SD spyder will only work if you upgrade to a late SD turbo, which requires the pedestal, up pipes, drivers side manifold, and plenums also. Ebay, Craigslist, junkyards, or build your own if you have the fab skills. Somewhere there is a link showing how one guy built his own by flipping the stock piece around and doing a bunch of cutting and welding on it to make his own spyder pipe.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
redone1
Senior User
thanks for the info Chase. I'll Rule out option 2 for now. I'm not financially ready for all that.

so the search continues for the E99...

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
The late SD spyder will only work if you upgrade to a late SD turbo, which requires the pedestal, up pipes, drivers side manifold, and plenums also. Ebay, Craigslist, junkyards, or build your own if you have the fab skills. Somewhere there is a link showing how one guy built his own by flipping the stock piece around and doing a bunch of cutting and welding on it to make his own spyder pipe.
I plan on doing exactly that, doesnt seem to challenging if you have access to the propper tools, which I do. I'm gonna do it sometime this month and I'll make a thread about it.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
why odnt you just make your own spider pipe? mine isnt exactly show room quality but it gets the job done. just cut the top off of it weld the other end with the flange to the hot side pipe then obtain a 3" 90° elbo smoosh it and weld it!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Did you get it smooshed at an exaust shop?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
nope just put its sorry little self in the vice and smooshed till it fit about right then filled the rest with welds, unfortunately its not the best fit but its dang near close

Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Did you flare the pipe going into the turbo?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:57 PM
redone1
Senior User
This doesn't look very bad at all. I dont weld much so i would have a buddy help me with that. But I could see myself going this route.

I think it would need to be flared into the turbo. Wonder how that would work..thinking you could just use the stock one and make it fit. Looks like the 90 is reduced down to fit the original fitting in the picture

Old 08-05-2010, 03:24 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts
Just passing it along, I think I saw 2 over on PSN yesterday, I think they were 125 each, not cheap, but if you need it

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
redone1
Senior User
Thanks Ben! That is a little salty. hopefully i can find it for cheaper, but don't want to look too long and they be gone. I'll check them out.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:07 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 97-psd
Just passing it along, I think I saw 2 over on PSN yesterday, I think they were 125 each, not cheap, but if you need it
You probably wont find them cheaper than that in all honesty.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jchosler
Did you flare the pipe going into the turbo?
nope, i cut the flair off of the y pipe just after the weld and its just at 2.5 inches which is what you need for a reducer, 2.5/3" for the flair to the IC pipes. it worked out perfect, kind of weird haha

Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
johnstoys2
Senior User
I think i'm going to try the make your own method. I figure I can get a stock one cheap at the junk yard & work with that.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:09 PM
redone1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 97-psd

I went ahead and purchased it. Well...waiting to get a total cost with freight before i send payment.

Now all I need are the pipes and necessary fittings.

Quick Reply: Need advice, Must install IC asap