Sponsored by:

electric fan kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 12:09 PM
tim330i
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric fan kit?

I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. I have read a couple sites on these and know there are good gains for cars but don't know the "real deal" for Broncos.

Anyone running one, Suggestions on brand or a place to buy one?

Tim

Old 02-13-2003, 03:22 PM
jeep8589
Mountain Pass
electric fan kit?

I just installed dual fans on my 1990 with a 351w. I noticed a slight increase in acceleration, and warm up time on the engine is much quicker than before. I really haven't got to run a full tank of gas to see if I picked up any mpgs. Was it worth it, to me every little bit helps. According to some reading I have done, on a stock 302 an electric fan should give you about 7 extra HP(this was on a dyno). Of course 7 hp on a 4600lb truck isn't all that noticeable. I bought all of my parts from autozone. I am runnning a 16" on the inside of the radiator, and a 12" on the outside of the condensor for my A/C. The thermostat controller I got from them has a hookup for the A/C and runs 2 seperate fans. Total cost - $180. In hindsight, I think the dual 12" fan set up summit sells would have been a lot easier and more effective. It cost a little bit more but has a full shroud so it will pull over a larger area. It is also cotrolled by a thermostat and will hookup to run with your A/C. It is a universal fan setup. It will fit mine, but I would measure just to make sure the 302 radiator is the same size.

Old 02-13-2003, 03:30 PM
DeKuma
Senior User
electric fan kit?

Upgraded Wiper ****...........

Old 02-13-2003, 11:17 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
electric fan kit?

I have a Flex-a-Lite electric fan on mine(only one fan). I, also, added a variable adjustment switch to control when the fan turns off. If I rember correctly mine is 16". I took off the clutch driven fan off the water pump. By doing so will put horsepower back into the engine. I haven't had any problems with this set up.

Hope this helps

Old 02-14-2003, 01:26 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
electric fan kit?

i am interested in this electric fan setup as well. do these kits come with good writeups and the fans how well do they mount up. is there any drilling required?? what is the power draw like, would an upgraded alt be needed.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2003, 01:45 PM
DeKuma
Senior User
electric fan kit?

I have similar questions as Kemical. After going through the Summit catalogue I am very interested in this modifiaction, but have no idea where to begin.

How much flow do I need?
What size fan?
Will it bolt directly up?
What kit or fab will be needed?
And so on, and so on............

More importantly, is it really worth the cost and effort? Does it really free up HP and increase mileage? In theory it should, but in reality............??

Old 02-14-2003, 05:37 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
electric fan kit?

try this web site since this what I have on mine.
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/

There was no drilling requiered and I did not need to change the alternator. The power draw is very minimal. I just have to remember not to have the adjustment *** of the fan controller turned all the way to on, otherwise the fan will stay on and will drain the battery. Been there done that. If the adjustment is set somewhat correctly the fan will turn off within about 20 minutes after you turn off engine.

Check out some of the pictures of my engine compartment that I just put into my photo album. You could find them by looking under user gallery and under 'My '90 Bronco'. I have at least one pic of electric fan setup

The instructions that came with the installation kits were very self explainable. And only took less than two hours to install or an afternoon and a few brews depending on if you like taking your time.

Hope this helps

Last edited by tite4x4; 02-14-2003 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:00 AM
1993F150XL
Senior User
electric fan kit?

"If the adjustment is set somewhat correctly the fan will turn off within about 20 minutes after you turn off engine."

It seems to me that the fan should be wired to a switched source so it would turn off with the ignition switch. There would be no reason for it to keep running, as the stock fan stops with the engine. Is this how Flex-a-Lite recommended wiring it?

Old 02-15-2003, 06:58 AM
jeep8589
Mountain Pass
electric fan kit?

I wired my fans so they will come on with the ignition on or off as well. If his fan needs to run 20 minutes after the engine is turned off then he needs to add another fan or a shroud. I have had several cars now with electric fans and with pulling a trailer in 95 degree weather the longest my fans have ever stayed on is 4-5 minutes after the engine was turned off. I like them runing to help pull extra heat out of the engine. Every hose that I have had bust happened shortly after turning the engine off. As for specifics on how to set one up, it is really to your discretion. Start with one large fan as a puller and see how it works for you. If not, add a second fan as a pusher and stagger them to cover the largest surface area of the radiator. Every fan will list how much of an electric draw it will put on the system. Most fans come with easy mounting tabs that will snap in place in minutes. Of course thats if you can get to both sides of the radiator. I had to pull my grill to get to my second fan. warning: make sure when you remove the stock shroud that the upper hose doesn't rub the belt idler.

Old 02-15-2003, 10:34 AM
tite4x4
Senior User
electric fan kit?

There are a lot of options as far as setting up this system. As with what jeep8589 mentioned with regards to the time frame, my fan does turn off within a few minutes after turning off ignition. The switch that I have hooked up, from flex-a-lite, is variable, so it could be set to what ever time frame it is set to. It wasn't a requirement to have this switch hooked up at all. I could have hooked up the fan so that it will turn on when engine is running and turned off when engine is off.

The only reason I mentioned 20 minutes was the fact I was making adjustments on the variable switch to see when the fan would turn off after I turn off engine. Since this was a new setup, I was just trying to see what would work best. It was not a requirement to keep the fan running for that period of time. I havn't had any overheating problems with this setup, and the fan is not running for more than a few minutes after I turn off ignition. I did have a few coolant leaks, though, that I have since fixed. Had a leaky heater core(replaced), water pump(replaced), and a leak between the intake manifold and head(fixed). So, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 02-20-2003, 02:32 PM
DeKuma
Senior User
electric fan kit?

So, I am going to go throough with this in a week or so, but I still do not know what size/CFM I need. Can anyone clue a fella in on this?

Originally posted by DeKuma
I have similar questions as Kemical. After going through the Summit catalogue I am very interested in this modifiaction, but have no idea where to begin.

How much flow do I need?
What size fan?

Old 02-20-2003, 02:53 PM
unreng
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 02-20-2003, 03:00 PM
tim330i
Junior User
Old 02-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Broncoguy89
Senior User
electric fan kit?

I wanna do this, so jeep8589, i looked through summits website for a while. Which 12 in dual fan setup are you talking about. The one from flex-a-lite. It looks like a good setup. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Old 02-20-2003, 08:51 PM
jeep8589
Mountain Pass
electric fan kit?

I don't have a catalog at my finger tips but yes I believe it is a flex-a-lite. I know it is around $219. I would go with the adjustable thermostat control. It has a built in shroud around the 2 fans that measure around 27X18 inches. Something close to that. Remember if you have a serpentine belt to make sure your belt doesn't rub the idler. Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply: electric fan kit?