1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2006 Expy EB in Engine Failsafe Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 PM
cleiba
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Expy EB in Engine Failsafe Mode

Hey All,
so here's my situation: I started my 2006 expedition EB (88k miles) to go home the other day after work and I see the o/d light flashing and the check engine light on. After that the "engine failsafe" engaged and I was stuck 50 miles from home. I towed it to the nearest dealer to my home and their "diagnostic tests" came back with 21 error codes! Even the tech that explained this to me said this was unusual. I've read posts here and at other sites and this seems to be a recurring problem with 06 Expy's and it is related to the throttle body sensor. In the meantime, the dealer doubled the charge for the diagnostics claiming that additional labor is needed to check all the codes. It appears to me that I'm being gouged by the dealer and being set up for an expensive "job". Is this diagnosis correct and I should tell these guys to clean and/or replace the TBS? What's the average cost for this? Appreciate the advice. Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 PM
alloro
Received 4,201 Likes on 2,436 Posts
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
cleiba
New User
LOL! Did you have the same problem?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:41 AM
cleiba
New User
Alloro, thanks for the links. I had seen those related posts and I was wondering if I should go straight for the tbs? I checked the codes that the dealer gave me. They are 0010, 0020 (couldn't find these), 0135, 0141, 0155, 0161, 0443, 0448, 0654, 0740, 0743, 0748, 0750, 0753, 0755, 0758 and 0206 (i think). This does not add up to 21 so I don't know what the tech omitted. Further, does any one know if some of these codes are not compatible i.e if you code X then you cannot have code Y? Appreciate the help. Thanks

Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 AM
soundtransmission
Junior User
That was my post from last week that I updated a few times since. After doing some heavy google searching, as well as searching in this forum, I have determined that the likely source is indeed the throttle position sensor. Here's a link showing you where that's located:

Bernard's Blog: Throttle Position Sensor

I'm lucky in that my father use to work for Ford (sense retired) but still manages to get the Ford discount on parts (through friends and whatnot) so I was able to land a TPS for $57, but expect to pay more like $110 for the OEM. At any rate, this is much less expensive then the throttle body, which will run more like $300 for the part alone (and if you're a novice mechanic like me, isn't as conducive for a DIYer as the TPS, which only takes a couple of Torx screws). Try changing the TPS first and if that doesn't fix it, then it's in all liklihood the throttle body.

My problem is very intermittent and when it does happen, I've still got plenty of power to coast on the highway if I need to, though performance is downgraded probably 25%. Hope this helps and I'll let the forum know how the TPS change out goes (planning on doing it this weekend).

Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
cleiba
New User
Thanks for your post. It definitely helps. I see that this is a common and dangerous problem with 06 Expeditions. Do we have to initiate a class action suit against Ford to get them to respond to this issue? Can anyone (or your Dad?) comment on the codes the dealer told me in my previous post? I'll check back to see how the TPS change is going as I plan to do the same. Here's to good luck for us both! Cheers

Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by cleiba
I checked the codes that the dealer gave me.
That's a lot of electrical related codes. Have all of the fuses been checked?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 PM
cleiba
New User
You're right. All the 0700 codes are electrical related. I spoke with the dealer today. He says some of the codes are phantom ones that come with others. In any event, they agreed to check all the codes and tell whats wrong tomorrow at no extra charge. I'll ask them to check the fuses as well and I'll post an update.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 PM
cleiba
New User
Hi All,
so here's the latest; the dealer wants an additional 3 hours labor to remove the manifold to trace a dead fuse at F132. They certainly are not inclined towards the TPS or the TB as others here with the same problem have. Something's wrong here and they still haven't found the problem. Appreciate any comments on this issue. Thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
cleiba
New User
More specifically, their tests are pointing towards a short in the wiring below the manifold. Does it take 3-4 hours to do this? In addition, they said there is no guarantee that the problem will be solved. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM
soundtransmission
Junior User
More specifically, their tests are pointing towards a short in the wiring below the manifold. Does it take 3-4 hours to do this? In addition, they said there is no guarantee that the problem will be solved. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Hmm... I wouldn't think so but I'm definetly not the one to say. There are others here with much better knowledge. I'd be inclined to think the dealer would be on the right track since they're chasing the codes. 3 - 4 hours does sound excessive though. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
cleiba
New User
Correction; the codes indicate that the faulty wiring is in the harness below the intake. A friend of mine that I just found out is very familiar with Expy's said the said the labor time required is about correct. They'll let me know on monday and I'll post an update then. Hopefully, I can save fellow Expy owners some drama down the road. Is it true that Fords are notorious for electrical problems?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
soundtransmission
Junior User
So replacing the TPS didn't go as smoothly as planned. In fact, I couldn't get the part off. The instructions said to use a heat gun to get the temp up to 130 degrees (presumably for the wiring?). That was about all for me to say "F it".

The next day, it was like a bunch of gremlins got into my hood and started screwing with me. I kept getting the Fail Safe Mode message, and when I'd stop the truck and restart it, it would immediately die and the message would reappear. So, it was time to bite the bullet and take it to the mechanic.

I took it to a reputable mechanic that I'd used before, explained everything and told them that I had the TPS if that's what the diagnostic came back with. So I get the call today that it was the throttle body, not just the TPS, and that the assembly they were going to get (that would cost me $385) includes, of course, the TPS, which as mentioned, I already had. I called my connection at the Ford dealer and he said that I could get it through an employee friend for $165. So, I asked the mechanic if I could buy the part and they could put it in, and he said yes.

So, I saved myself $220. Not too shabby. Don't know how the truck is running yet since I haven't gotten it back, so if you don't hear back from me, assume that all is well.

How's life treating you cleiba? Hope you got your situation straightened out.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 PM
cleiba
New User
Hey All,
Thanks for your continued interest. So here's the latest; After dismantling the intake, no problems were found. Upon further work, they found 2 bad sensors; the intake runner control and the left side variable control (VCT) solenoid below the driver side valve cover. Total cost to this point was $1100 however, when I complained, the service mgr reduced it to $800 and guaranteed the work for 12k/1yr. Still very expensive. Why didn't their diagnostics nail the problem the first time around? Was the intake thing and the bad fuse at F132 all a red herring? I'm still very suspicious. Sound, you made out far better than me. I'm expecting the vehicle back today and I hope to finally put this issue to rest. Stay tuned..

Old 08-05-2010, 01:43 PM
alloro
they found 2 bad sensors; the intake runner control and the left side variable control (VCT) solenoid below the driver side valve cover.
Does this mean they didn't have to pull off the intake, or did they say it was still necessary in order to find these sensors?

Quick Reply: 2006 Expy EB in Engine Failsafe Mode