1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Trying to remove center bolt from leaf spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM
BlackNGoldRules
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to remove center bolt from leaf spring

OK, I finally came across a leaf spring from a junkyard to replace the broken spring on my truck. The problem is that it had 4 leaves on it and the ones on my truck have three. I figured that since I've been having such bad luck at trying to come up with a spring I'd just take this one and try to remove one of the leaves. Well, I'm having an issue trying to remove the center bolt. With the bolt head being rounded, all I can do is spin the bolt when trying to remove the nut. I tried putting a pair of vice grips over the rounded bolt head while trying to loosen the nut but it just spins. Anyway, the only idea I could think of is trying to stick a nut over the rounded head and maybe using some JB Weld to "weld it" to the bolt head. That way hopefully I can keep the bolt from moving while turning the nut on the opposite side. My question is, do you think that stuff will be strong enough to pull that off or will I probably end up just breaking the nut off that I tried "welding" to the bolt head? I don't have a welder so this is the best I can do right now. I've read about people just pounding the bolt out but I'm not sure how that is possible with the nut still on. I've also read about trying to cut the bolt but all I have is a hacksaw. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
The JB weld won't work. Try either cutting the nut off with a cold chisel or cutting wheel on a hand grinder or use a dremel tool.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules
OK, I finally came across a leaf spring from a junkyard to replace the broken spring on my truck. The problem is that it had 4 leaves on it and the ones on my truck have three. I figured that since I've been having such bad luck at trying to come up with a spring I'd just take this one and try to remove one of the leaves. Well, I'm having an issue trying to remove the center bolt. With the bolt head being rounded, all I can do is spin the bolt when trying to remove the nut. I tried putting a pair of vice grips over the rounded bolt head while trying to loosen the nut but it just spins. Anyway, the only idea I could think of is trying to stick a nut over the rounded head and maybe using some JB Weld to "weld it" to the bolt head. That way hopefully I can keep the bolt from moving while turning the nut on the opposite side. My question is, do you think that stuff will be strong enough to pull that off or will I probably end up just breaking the nut off that I tried "welding" to the bolt head? I don't have a welder so this is the best I can do right now. I've read about people just pounding the bolt out but I'm not sure how that is possible with the nut still on. I've also read about trying to cut the bolt but all I have is a hacksaw. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
if you cant get a sawsall just use the hacksaw.........hello that football player cut his car in half with a hacksaw

Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM
BlackNGoldRules
Senior User
Maybe I'll try the hacksaw first and see what I can get accomplished with that. If I run into problems then maybe I'll go buy one of those portable dremel tools. Portable because I may have to do the same thing to the center bolt on the leaf spring in my truck and I don't have a garage or any place near outlets do take it off of the truck spring. I have the leaf spring that I got from the junkyard sitting on my living room floor on top of a bunch of old towels! Yeah, the wife sure loves that. lol I may just take the leaf completely out of this one and stick it in the leaf spring of the truck in case I have trouble getting that spring completely off thanks to those stubborn eye bolts.