Need URGENT help with Harmonic Balancer Question !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need URGENT help with Harmonic Balancer Question !!!

Please help me !!!

I have a 1966 (that's what the casting number of the block says) 289 SBF which I got from a friend. He had it for years and even so it is all complete no one remembers if the parts used here are really a match.

In order to change from a "passenger side" water pump to a "driver side" water pump I took the timing cover from a 1978 351W. Just mounted this last night and it fits perfectly. I also wanted to use the harmonic balancer off the 351W as it has the timing mark on the correct side for the timing pointer I have (also from the 351W). Now the problem starts. The balancer is in bad shape and it also has the four (4) mounting holes for the pulley while the one I took off the 289 has just three. Then I thought I could use the balancer from the 289 and re-mark it for the other side pointer by using timing tape (from Summit for $5.95). Next problem. The balancer has a diameter of exactly 6 1/2" while all info I can find in books and catalogs (as well as the 351W balancer) says these balancers are all exactly 6 3/8".

My questions is: Is it true that ALL SBF / 351W balancers (i.e. those 28 ounce versions) are 6 3/8" in diameter or could it be that there was 6 1/2", too ??? If there were 6 1/2" versions how could I tell that the one I have (i.e. the 6 1/2" which I took off the 289) is a 28 ounce one and fits my engine OK ? It will be a mid size nightmare for me here in Germany to find all the right pulleys and brackets to make all this work so that I really do not want to find out too late that this is all wrong.

I could post a picture of the balancer if that would help. Please advise.

PLEASE HELP ME !!! THANX !!!

Old 02-11-2003, 12:33 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a precaution, I'd take all the accessories off the 351, because that way you can be assured that they're going to work. All 28 ounce balancers will balance that 289, but as you have found out, if you mix and match accessories, things can get out of control very quickly. Just go back to that motor and grab all the accessory brackets that came off the motor you got the timing cover from.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Brian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not use the bad balancer. Find true top dead center and mark the old damper to agree with it. Use a scribe and scribe a line at that position. Now measure the distance between the tick marks on the original balancer your have and make additional tick marks near the new center mark. You can use a paint stick or permananet marker to fill the scribe marks. You can make as many tick marks as you think you need.

Old 02-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Kai
Elder User

John, Brian, ... thanx for your comments. Yes, I heard that there are about 1,001 different balancer/pulleys/bracket combos of which only one will work. I really hate to use the stuff off the 351W. Huge crank pulley with three grooves, ... I really do not need this as I will only need one for the alternator. Guess my very next step is to buy the balancer Summit offers for $79,95. Then mount all the pulleys I had on the 289 and try the brackets of the 289. At least there's a 1:1000 chance that that will work.

Any other thoughts ? Anyone has a comment on the diameter of the SBF balancer ? As I said, I can only find info on 6 3/8" balancers and I wonder why the one I pulled off the 289 6 1/2".

Thanx !!!

Old 02-16-2003, 06:20 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Kai

I think the Summit balancer is probably a good investment for your situation. Did you tell me in an email that it has a shim kit to move the lower pulley around? That coulld save you. My prediction for your next source of pain is the waterpump. Tell me as much as you can about it.

I lived this tragedy last year on a 302. I was trying to use the entire front off a 1965 289 because it is clean without 3 groove pulleys, AIR Pumps etc. My problem started when I tried to use a later model waterpump so the lower hose would dump on the drivers side. The WP boss heights were just wrong. You don't want to hear this again but after buying the fronts off about 3 motors and trying different combos, I ended up stripping entire front off a 79 LTD. Serpentine, easy to eliminate AIR pump. Very clean.

If you can get a waterpump that will allow the alternator to mount and line up the pulleys on the top end, I think the Summit balancer will make it all work provided it can be shimmed for minor adjustment of the balancer pulley.

We need to talk fast. I will be at Blue Oval Rage's Ford Emporium (his house) this Friday and we may be able to help you out with this. He was asking me yesterday how you were coming along. My parts man will let me bring a six pack of different rebuilt waterpumps to my house if yours won't work. If I lived in Germany, I wouldn't want to be driving around with an old WP anyway. Especially if you can't identify the application it is from.

Old 02-17-2003, 04:04 AM
Kai
Elder User
Thumbs up Need URGENT help with Harmonic Balancer Question !!!

'fenders, ... thanx for your thoughts and offer. Unfortunately I need to make one step after the other. This means I need the Summit balancer first which I will bring home from the US at the end of second week March.

As for the water pump. I have one from my racing buddy (the one with the red 55). He had it on his 351W for no more than 2,000 miles and then stored it safely. It looks very good. He went with an electric water pump.

I have a one groove pulley for this pump and I have the alternator brackets from my 351W. I will test install this tonite and see if waterpump and alternator line up OK. If that's the case then I just have to keep my fingers crossed if the balancer and these spacers and bushings work for me.

I'll keep you posted. Thanx. (also see my e-mail)

Old 02-17-2003, 09:04 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Kai

Sounds like you have a good waterpump. You know I was imagining the waterpump as something you pulled out from under a workbench that was taken off in 1988. The impeller seals/bushings can go bad in storage. Definitely do a test install and see if the waterpump and alternator can possibly work together now. I know you don't want to get a new pump but better to know what you have before you come to US. It may be as simple as grinding a boss down 1/4 inch on the pump or even no mods at all.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Kai
Elder User
Thumbs up Need URGENT help with Harmonic Balancer Question !!!

'fenders, ... spend an hour in the shop this evening at test mounted what I have. Quickly found out that the 351W brackets won't work as they do not line up with the mounting hole in the passenger side cylinder head. Then I tried the 289 brackets, the (almost) new 351W waterpump and the pulley from my '78 351W. The pulley was barely scrapping against the bracket (requires some minor grinding) and then it should work. Look at the pics. I guess I am not that far off at all. Sure, I still miss the balancer and the lower pulley, but I guess with the balancer from Summit and the hardware they supply I could possibly make it. Let's keep the fingers crossed.

My bags will be pretty full with all my ignition stuff, a Lokar Shifter, the balancer and a few others items I am going to order from Summit tomorrow. Hope I can leave waterpumps behind me.

Old 02-17-2003, 06:59 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend

Kai

Looks like it's going to work out. That looks like an early model 351W pump. That may be helping you out. Be thankful you are not trying to make PS and AC work too. That's when the fun starts.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Kai
Elder User
Talking Need URGENT help with Harmonic Balancer Question !!!

'fenders and all,

... don't worry, I am not ging to leave the brackets and pulleys rusty and the engine in the "spray over all dirt and grease" type of blue. All will be taken apart again, painted or powder coated black individually and then put together with all new hardware (mainly S/S bolts using the Summit and ARP kits). I just want everything to fit right before I do the cosmetics.

Thanx for all your help !!!