1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 AM
danfish
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension

I just finished lowering my '55 F-100 by taking leafs out. The front isn't bad but of course the rear is a little soft. What I'd like to know is what's the best way to stiffen up the rear suspension while keeping it lowered any suggestions on which shocks to use? I might also add that I'm trying to stay away from airshocks... they're too expensive.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Load-leveler (tm) or shock with the coil spring on / around them or just the economy aftermarket bolt on shock coil spring kit. Murphy’s thirteenth law of punishment and diminishing returns states that you do get what you pay for, ask me!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
IMHO shocks and inexpensive are mutually exclusive ideas. There are a lot of inexpensive shocks out there but they all have one thing in common: None are worth their price. Advertising by the shock manufacturers stress the soft ride of their product so consumers think that is the way shocks should work. To do it's job, the shock needs to be valved for the stiffness of the springs it's controlling (one "size" does not fit all) and be made with quality parts with tight tolerances to last. The only reason a set of OEM shocks don't last the life of a vehicle is because they are junk when they are put on at the factory. The manufacturers don't care, 99% of drivers never tax their shocks (and/or want a mattress smooth ride over handling) and they wear out progressively (but quickly) so it is not noticed. Again IMHO a large number of single car crashes where the driver loses control after making a fast manuever could have been prevented by the right shocks.
What criteria are you using to decide your rear springs are too soft? Are they flat or reverse arched at rest? If so then they are too soft. If it is because they are "bouncing" or floating then the problem is with your shocks and/or sway bar. It is important to know the function of each suspension member (springs, shocks, swaybars, tires) and analize what part controls the characteristic you are trying to improve before throwing parts at it. Air shocks are only useful if you occasionally haul heavy cargo.