Sponsored by: Moser

Radio and dome light quit ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM
ohdeere
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio and dome light quit ???

So I put a new cd player in my 76 F250 a few weeks ago and all was good. I used the factory radio ign. hot and tapped into the cig. lighter for constant power. Was working fine until last weekend I stopped and opened the door.
Radio quit and no more dome light. Checked the fuse, looked okay but I had one so I replaced it. Still no good. I have power at the fuse block so I checked the cig lighter power wire(big green and white?), none.
chased it to by the glove box where it picks up another wire and through a connector into two smaller wires, green/yellow and white/and yellow maybe. no power there. Where do those go? ANy ideas what happened?
Thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 AM
karatedavid
Junior User
I don't know, but I'm on the same boat as you. My electrical is total crap thanks to many modifications and such from previous owners...

Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
First thing... check all the fuses!

Second... Get out your Haynes manual

scroll to the wiring diagrams and find the circuits your having issues with and have fun.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Was the fuse you pulled out blown? Is it possible the new one blew immediately? All of these symptoms point to a blown couresy lamp circuit fuse (which powers the dome light, cigarette lighter, etc).

Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 PM
ohdeere
New User
fuse was blown the first time. Now the new fuse is still good, as are all the rest, but still no power.
I checked for power at the dome light, nothing. the part that i'm kind confused about is a big wire splits int two small ones. does'nt make sense to me but there's about 2 feet of harness behind the heater control and dash that I'm not sure i'm following the wire on the right end. but if i pull one end the other end moves so i figured it was the same one.
anybody know where to find good diagrams?

Last edited by ohdeere; 07-14-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added a little clarification
Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 PM
supercabfreak
Elder User
i had the same poblem with my truck when i bought it, all my electrical was garbage and i gave up and started replaceing and re-wireing things. all in all i now have all new fuses 2 new dome light switches, all new wireing for radio, dome light, cigarette lighter, glove box light, and heater blower. i think my problem was bad conectors the previous owner did a half A$$ job of hooking up, but i didnt want to risk my truck burning up over 50 bucks worth of switches and wire

btw haynes has good diagrams

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
ohdeere
New User
That's the direction i think i'm headed, I was hoping for someone to say " oh, that does this. Put this there and this there, new switch here and done". But if I rewire at least i know that it will all be good to go.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 AM
MrHomz
Freshman User
I just went to put new door jamb pins in my '79 F100. Install one on driver's side: all good. Install the passenger one: I ended up touching metal on metal which sparked and now I have no radio or dome light. Same thing - fuses all good. I did blow one but replaced it and still nothing. I'm going to see if it's possibly a fusable link, but this is very frustrating!!!!!! If anyone at all has a solution please post!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:33 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the dome light and radio don't work on my 78. I just figured it was a piece of ****.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 AM
karatedavid
Junior User
Originally Posted by dynamic
First thing... check all the fuses!

Second... Get out your Haynes manual

scroll to the wiring diagrams and find the circuits your having issues with and have fun.
ah the haynes book....the bible to my truck.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:13 AM
MrHomz
Freshman User
I now have mine working. Turns out the fuse blew again; it's the one tot he farthest left right under a mounting screw. All good now. (PS, it also controls the 'buzzing' noise for the seat belt indicator.)

Old 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
must not be whats wrong with mine. Mine still buzzes but the radio and dome light don't work. Might as well pull the fuse. **** that buzzing.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ohdeere
So I put a new cd player in my 76 F250 a few weeks ago and all was good. I used the factory radio ign. hot and tapped into the cig. lighter for constant power. Was working fine until last weekend I stopped and opened the door.
Radio quit and no more dome light. Checked the fuse, looked okay but I had one so I replaced it. Still no good. I have power at the fuse block so I checked the cig lighter power wire(big green and white?), none.
chased it to by the glove box where it picks up another wire and through a connector into two smaller wires, green/yellow and white/and yellow maybe. no power there. Where do those go? ANy ideas what happened?
Thanks
How did you ground the radio?

Do not use the Light Blue/Red Stripe wire to ground any Radio. It is not a ground wire, it is the Radio dial illumination wire hooked to the instrument cluster illumination. This is a very comon mistake people make, and wonder why their radio, or their instrument cluster lights quit or shorts out.

The Green/Yellow wire also goes to the fuse panel. If you blew the Radio fuse, you may have blew this fuse as well. On more modern radios both constant and ignition switched power needs to be on to make the radio work. Green/Yellow not only powers the cigar lighter, but the dome lamp switches as well.