1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

linkage help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Snobord28
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
linkage help

HI I have a 51 pickup that I recently put a 302 and c4 combo from a 78 mercury I bought. My question is , on the transmission the mechinism that controls the gear shift goes all the way clockwise right for park? It goes a little more if I put a little pressure on it, then returns back a little like sping loaded. Does anyone know why it does that? just wanna know before I make the linkage. Thanks all

Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Can you feel 6 separate detents or "clicks"? If so, then shift the lever into what would be reverse (one detent away from what you think is park) and try turning the tailshaft. It should spin. Now slip it forward into the detent for park. It should either not spin at all or spin just a small bit and them lock. That will verify that you are truly in park. That is where you want your linkage to stop it when the shifter is in the park position. It may turn a little past the park detent as you are seeing because of the way the internal linkage is designed, but nothing good can come from pushing it past the detent. Where it "clicks" is where you want to be.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Snobord28
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah being able to rotate trans shaft I can feel 6 and It is all clear to me now. I should of thought of that first but I will now. thanks alot