Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM
texas_rebel21
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission problem

ok hees my problem. I have a 89 f150 it has the c6 3 speed automatic. when i get in the truck in the morning or anytime its cold for tha matter. when i start the truck and put it in gear any of the forward gears its just like its in neutral. It will go into reverse no problem but not the forward gears. now is what i have to do to put it in gear is let it get a little water temp and i can rev the motor up to about 2500 or 3000 rpms and it will kick right into gear. Theres no problem with it shifting it doesnt slip or anything. If i park it for a few hours it will go right into gear but not if its cold. Has anyone had this problem before or know what could be wrong with it? Thanks for the help

Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Bring the tranny up to temp and make sure your fluid level is correct. check the dipstick multiple times with the engine running with your truck on a flat surface. I like to use type F tranny fluid in a C6.

BigLar

Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 PM
texas_rebel21
Junior User
i have done that before it was always full i pulled it out before and put new fluid in it (pulled it due to motor rebuild) when i put it back together it worked like its supposed to. but i towed a buddies truck home (94 ranger 4x4) after that it started acting up again. its been doing this for about a year now finally im gettin tired of it have asked alot of people no one knows

Old 07-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My guess would be hardened seals in the forward clutch servo.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM
larrylass
Senior User
Originally Posted by texas_rebel21
i have done that before it was always full i pulled it out before and put new fluid in it (pulled it due to motor rebuild) when i put it back together it worked like its supposed to. but i towed a buddies truck home (94 ranger 4x4) after that it started acting up again. its been doing this for about a year now finally im gettin tired of it have asked alot of people no one knows
check out thus guys videos for rebuilding the C6 Bad Shoe Productions How To Video Series - Ford Transmissions & Rears and for parts www.broaderperformance.com

BigLar

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have that video! It is great for learning DVD on how to do a rebuild yourself or even good if you need to do repairs... Have you changed the fluid and filter lately on it? You could be having problems with the valves sticking in the valve body if the fluid is old and gummed up. If you buy the video you should be able to rebuild your C6 with a couple home made tools, 1 seating tool ($40-$80), a rebuild kit ($90-$300 depending on what you want and need) and some patients...

Also I noticed that the linkage on my old c6 is a little sloppy. I actually have to shift past the "D" a little to get it into gear... Can you put it in 1st/low and start right off?