Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New air filter and truck dies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 AM
cklecker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New air filter and truck dies?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I just changed my filter element and now my truck dies randomly. If I put the old filter back in it runs fine. When it dies it just shuts down. The filter is the PowerStroke Air Induction System. It ran great until I put in the new filter. After install I drove twenty feet and it died. It starts right up after it shuts down. After about ten miles of driving and shutting down I put the old filter back in and it ran fine. Thank god I put the old filter in the cab for some reason instead of the garbage.

<o></o>
Early 99 f250<o></o>
246,300 miles<o></o>
No chip or tuners<o></o>
Straight piped<o></o>
All stock except for the removed cat and muffler

Thanks in advance
Chad<o></o>

Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I cannot imagine why the two would be related. Old filter, new filter, no filter would not cause it to die unless the old one was so clogged the truck could not breathe. I think something else happened.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
cklecker
New User
It’s got me scratching my head for sure. I just did a test run and made it a block with the new filter in and it died. Swapped back to the old one and no problems, went five miles and no problems. With the new filter it will die just idling as well, and by just shifting through the gears. Old filter and it runs great??????????<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old air filter is not completely plug up.
Put in new filter and instant problems.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:49 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it one of these: AMSOIL - 7.3L PowerStroke Air Induction System. I would of went for a ford ais (http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/me...gory_Code=sale). I don't know why it says recommended for stock trucks only. Do you have any mods. Maybe that filter is to restrictive but that would be hard to believe.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the new filter wrapped up in some shrink wrap or something that you might not be noticing? That is a bizarre problem for sure.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:27 PM
cklecker
New User
Yes that is the filter I have. I have the blue ford one, not the white amsoil one. Had a white one but never noticed any difference. the only difference was cost. No shrink wrap on filter. Never have had a problem when changing before.
The only mods I have done is remove the cat and muffler, stock size exhaust pipe.

I put in new filter shuts down almost instant. Put in old filter and not a problem

Oil was changed with in the last month, along with fuel filter.

I put in new air filter and instant problems.

I unhooked the batteries over night in hopes computer would reset if that is possible.

Kicks no codes
Service engine light comes on when it shuts down.

Since I have owned the truck parts that have been replaced. Small list
Picked up with 90,000 miles.
1 alternator
1 water pump
new front hubs
Ball joints

Routine maintence, oil, fuel filters, brakes, tranny service, front and rear end services, etc.........

Old 07-11-2010, 02:03 PM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
Take the filter back and get another one!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:03 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

The only way an air filter will affect how an engine runs is if it gets enough air or not. I don't think your new filter is related to your truck shutting down, unless it's completely blocking any air from getting to your engine. Or you're bumping a sensor everytime you change the filter.
Something's not making sense.

Where are you located, maybe there's someone close by that can help you diagnose your problems. Do you have access to a code reader, see if any codes have been thrown?

Old 07-11-2010, 02:11 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the air filter is your problem. Sounds like you have something else going on. If your check engine light came on you will have codes. Your code reader may not be compatible. Places like autozone code reader won't work on our trucks either.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Old one works, new one does not......look at new one for problem! It is obviously not flowing for some reason.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 PM
cklecker
New User
The new filter is fine. Its got to be a senser. I ducked tapped the air box intake hole down to about one thrid of the original size. No problems with it shutting down. Just wasnt getting enough air if I gave her a little. Bogged her down. Cut it open to about 3/4 of actuall size and it shut down.
Something is not happy with the amount of air its getting.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Why did you tape up the intake tube to 1/3 the size? Is there some prior issue you were trying to resolve? Most everyone tries to increase the airflow and you are restricting it. That may be part of your problem, you're starving your big motor of the air it needs, also increasing EGT's.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 PM
cklecker
New User
No just did it this afternoon. With the old filter it runs fine. So I restricted the air with the new one and it ran fine. Something on this thing doesn’t like the amount of air it’s getting. It was an experiment. The old filter is around 70%. Decided to switch now cause the next few months going to be in some nasty dusty conditions.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cklecker
Something is not happy with the amount of air its getting.
Ding ding ding we have a winner. You are probably going to want to scan that truck for codes or log some variables like your manifold gauge pressure when this happens. There is no other sensor that cares about intake pressure or vacuum before the turbo.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no sensor in the air box that effects the tables in the programming. Take pics of the filters! Is one longer than the other and bottoming out maybe? Either anything mentioned here or it's some kind of defect in the filter.

Quick Reply: New air filter and truck dies?