Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Cool Down

Old 07-10-2010, 09:43 AM
thekiwi
New User
thekiwi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by sandmanf250 View Post
it's probobly a good idea,but the new 6.7 has 2 turbos i don't know if a 2 turbo set up would get as hot ,but you never know.
Hmm my 6.7l only has one turbo........?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
the_webers_inc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.the_webers_inc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by thekiwi View Post
Hmm my 6.7l only has one turbo........?
One Turbo assembly that has 2 compressor wheels. Take a look at this: DualBoost Single Sequential Turbocharger

Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 AM
bocomojoe
Senior User
bocomojoe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question

If you do the "build your own" truck thing on the Ford web site, there is a factory installed "engine idle shutdown" that is $250 and available on the XLT. However this accessory is not available with the "Reverse Vehicle Aid Sensor". I think the "RVAS" is standard on the the Lariets and up so the "engine idle shutdown" is not abailable on a Lariet or King Ranch.

How does the Ford "Engine Idle Shutdown" work, TIME or TEMP?

Soooo....you can get an "engine idle shutdown" installed by Ford at the Factory on a Lariet? Can you order a Lariet with a "RVAS" delete and then have the "engine idle shutdow" installed at the factory?

Has any one ordered one of these things, or is one of the techs out there have some knowledge about this accessory?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
After owning a 6.0 powered truck, I am all for reliability operations. I have not seen any information from the Ford guys I trust about this issue. I wonder if we may be just borrowing trouble here. I am hesitant to do anything to this truck that may haunt me later if warranty is needed.

Regards

Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
oreocreaming is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
so, protecting your turbo worries you?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
If that was directed to me, no, I am all for reliability operations. I am just a little gunshy about adding aftermarket stuff that may later affect warranty. After the 6.0 debacle, Ford has gotten downright miserable about A/M mods.

Regards

Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
call you dealer and ask. It's a factory option so clearly they suppport the prouct. I'm sure for a cool 1000 you can have them add one and you won't have to worry.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
My understanding is Ford's engine idle shutdown is time based.
The factory setting on the 08-10 MY trucks was 5 minutes.
I read somewhere this is required for trucks purchased in CA.

I would hope BCP or SEIC would override this option though.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:42 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
I don't think it's required in cali. The 5 limit max timer maybe. You can get a $1000 fine if your engine is left idling for over 5 minutes.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:51 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Is the product referenced here a factory option, dealer installed or aftermarket? I will study my manual some more on this issue because I am unsure of what Ford recommends.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
the one I posted was aftermarket. But the dealer offerd one as well. Just easily double the cost since it was not added by the factory, you'd have to have the dealer install it

Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Rafiki2cu is starting off with a positive reputation.
I read in the manual that it is recommended that a hot engine be idled for 3 to 5 minutes to allow turbo cool down.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
indeed. The timer does it for you. You shut the key off, lock the doors and it keeps running until either the time (timer) or temp gets to a safe shut down temp. Depends on what model you choose.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM
skylinekw
Senior User
skylinekw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is there anywhere I can read more on these two models?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:39 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
ya, google it. Or click on the link to the bd model. Or call up banks diesel. They are the ones who will tell you exactly what you wanna know. Personally I'd go with the probe temp model. You don't always run it hard enough to need the turbo timer to keep your truck running. Why run for 5 minutes at idle when you don't need to? Waste of fuel. Get the probe and it only runs what theengine needs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo Cool Down

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: