1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help from the gang on dizzy tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:41 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help from the gang on dizzy tech

Folks, I'm up the creek on this one. I thought I was being smart by installing an HEI procom dizzy on my 351W HO but I've been made the fool. It's been over a month dealing with procomp and I'm not getting anywhere...

Here's what I have so far on the HEI dizzy:
My rotor is turning, I hooked a 12v source directly to the "batt" connector. I have "ohmed" the base of the dizzy to the block, and I have a good ground. I have rotated the engine to top dead center. I aligned #1 piston with the #1 plug wire and the rotor pointing in that spot. Timing marks also line up correctly. Still no spark to the plug.

The reason I'm not using the duraspark, I do not have the unit itself and the dizzy took some damage. I'm ready to go this route and get a duraspark unit. but I don;t know where to start without dropping $400+ on all new stuff. I read somewhere now that I'm not using the EGR junk on my engine the stock dizzy would have to be rebuilt. And If I was to source a Duraspark unit from the junk yard any way to check it??

I'd be very appreciative of any help on either subject..

thanks all

bob

Old 07-07-2010, 03:59 PM
52 F3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a HEI (coil in cap) Dist and have 12v into the dist and no spark the problem has to be in the dist.
Be sure the 12V source isn't conected to the tach terminal.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I talked to Mitch at procomp and I think we figured it out. I wish I could have spoken with him about 3 weeks ago. It looks like my dizzy is not spinning fast enough, he's sending a closer "points unit" . Spinning it by had the dizzy works.

bob

Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
weird.. never heard of 'not fast enough'

I have a procomp dizzy in my 55.. and I had the HEI version installed before that, but it collided with the intake I wanted to use.

sam

Attached Images