Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbocharged 4.9L 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DEMIGOD
Hahahahah...poin well taken. Is there video of this truck? I am still thumbing through the thread at a snails pace. Would be great to find a clean 300 here local and pull some Dr. Frankenstein stuff with it
Haha, you know it... lol, and no he hasn't as far as i could tell. A lot keeps coming up it looked liked. But as soon as i get a chance to go to the junk yard i am going to grab a turbo and begin my project. Just need to figure out where i am going to mount mine. This would be a great research project and one awesome thing i can add onto a resume when i go for a job... Engineering allows me to do that hahahaha.

Hey, Mcpaul... had a question about why you decided to tune the stock ECU? Did you flash it and start from scratch? Why not megasquirt? Or Redline?

Another thing, how much more power difference do you think you could have gained with the stock cam?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
The relay kit is from Dorale its not an adjustable one and you can get it from the same people that I bought the fans from. I didn't have to fab any mounts they are mounted using plastic things that go through the radiator. I dont have any pictures yet and can't take any right now everything is pulled out. but when i get it back together i will update pics of the whole set up it looks alot different now.

As far as why did i stay stock ECM well for one i have an E4OD trans and didnt want to try to make an aftermarket computer run it or do a piggy back system. Plus i like to be different and prove that things can be done. Right now im just using an SCT chip with a couple different tunes on it. Once i get it dialed in i will just use a moates chip with a switch for low and high boost settings.

Its nice to see other people giving it a try. i know it took me a year of research and about two years of building. the only reason it has takin this long is because of my job. i hope to have the truck running by this weekend or next and as soon as i do i promise to have video of it up on youtube.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Have you had any issues with the fans? Some people have been saying cheap = you get what you pay for... They say those cheap fans are prone to catch on fire. I personally don't know as i have never used electric fans for an aftermarket upgrade.

But i totally understand. I'm still debating on asking the college to fund the project, than i can have a larger budget $.

Cant wait to see the video. I wanna see this thing in action and just hear it wine as it revs. What all exhaust wise have you done?

Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
I have the same fans on both my suburban and truck and have not had a problem with them Procomp fans are great. I'm sure some of the really cheap ones people might have problems with but I havent had any.

As far as exhaust goes i have it straight piped from the motor to the turbo no cats or muffler. then from the turbo back is just straight pipe. the truck really isnt that loud since the exhaust has to go through the turbo. before i did have the exhaust running through cats before the turbo but decided to take them out since they were original and didnt want to have to mess with them.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Awesome, i will prob order them in the next day or so.

Keep us up to date as you get it back on the road. when you had the rv cam put in you bor it at all?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:40 PM
1800joedaddy
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
mcpaul05, I went out to a friend of mines house last weekend. I forgot his girlfriend has a 6.5L Chevy so I went and checked it out. The turbo only had exhaust from one bank running to it, the other side was going straight out. Just thought I'd post that up. Thats why they sound like a gasser when they rev I guess.

I wasn't sure if you were joking but just so no one gets it twisted ALL of the 4 6.5 td's I've owned (94,94,95,99) had the dr side crossing under the engine/trans into the pass side and up through the turbine. I've never seen a hemi-turbo 6.5 TD. I would love to see how this worked and how doing the exhaust on all of mine I somehow missed it.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEMIGOD
Could you imagine a F-150 with a 2JZ swap running a single turbo
Actually yes

Murray from NLOCs truck.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockaholic
2JZ-GTE would b worth it a little... But i still think the 300 has much more potential that it in the long run. We are puttin out 50 less tq stock and granted we may not have the hp it puts out.. who cares.. these trucks shouldnt go over 140 anyways if even that hahaha. But with a single turbo mod and some tuning we alrdy top the 2JZ all day long off the line. Just a tid bit lol, Also JZ is a toyota.. they are built as toys.. not monsters such as fords
I see you are obviously not familiar with the 2JZ motor...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I see you are obviously not familiar with the 2JZ motor...
Maybe not but from what i experience and what i have looked up i think the 300 maybe not be able to out run it, but could certainly beat it off the line in an 1/8th...

Old 09-17-2011, 05:21 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Got the motor back together doing break in now. i have some pics that i plan on posting after the game today and i should have a quick video it up this coming week.

As far as 2JZ motor is concerned while they are great motors and you can do some amazing things with them I think I can build my 300 to be more bullet proof. With a tune just good enough to get it running and at 10.8lbs of boost it makes 300hp and 500tq at the flywheel. Even if I turn up the boost I might not get the HP just because of the head design but I know I can make alot more TQ and in a truck that is shaped like a box that is what counts. With the TQ numbers that I will be making I might just be able to out run a supra. I will find out for sure after I get it retuned. I have a few people I know from work and other forums that have some fast supras and I will put it to the test. I think the only thing that will hurt me is that its a truck shaped like a box. So with that being said I think its enough talk about other cars and motors that are not F150s or 4.9l sixs.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Awesome to hear its back together. Hope to see pics soon, been getting money from the college and trying to figure out what im going to do

Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
I put pics up on my cardomain page its easier plus I put alittle description of what has been done. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/214722...lar-cab/page-2

Old 09-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Great new set up. Looks really clean! Since you took the emissions system off do you receive engine codes?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:10 AM
mcpaul05
Junior User
I do get a check engine light but when I do the tune, I will disable all emissions so it won't be a problem.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Rockaholic
Senior User
Awesome. Was curious how you were able to tune this ECU as it tends to be a pain in the ***? Also, Could i do a custom tune myself or would I need special programs I cant get ahold of unless I'm commercial?

Quick Reply: Turbocharged 4.9L 300