2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
GoodwinFord
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift kit

was just wondering if this kind of lift is a good one and how complicated is the install

Tuff Country 2in Lift Kit (04-08 F150 - 4WD) at AmericanTrucks.com - Free Shipping!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:22 AM
OptimusF150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fronts are easy. The rear is not needed. All you are doing is leveling the truck unless you want the bed a little higher. The front all your doing is adding a spacer. You jack the truck undo the 3 nuts that hold the strut drop it add the spacer and retighten everything. Just remember you will have to get it aligned after install. The rears I have no clue on how hard it is to add a leaf.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tuff Country is a pretty good manufacturer and has some good reviews on its kits.

Optimus is correct about the installation for the front. And the rear springs really aren't needed but if you weigh your *** in down a good bit then I would suggest adding them. They will increase your carrying capacity and keep it from sagging in the rear under a load.

If you decide you don't want to install them I am certain you could sell that part of the kit by itself.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM
GoodwinFord
Junior User
well i kinda decided to go a bit bigger now so i was wondering what 4in or maybe 6in lift is good yet inexpensive.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Good yet inexpensive? HMMMM those two words usually don't go well together. But if I was going with a full lift kit of 4 or 6" I would look into the Pro Comp, Rough Country, and Skyjacker kits. It might be Tuff Country like the leveling kit you already have instead of Rough Country.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 PM
GoodwinFord
Junior User
k thanks and r there any places that have any specials if you order rims tires and a lift kit?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 AM
Sparkman1980
New User
Originally Posted by GoodwinFord
k thanks and r there any places that have any specials if you order rims tires and a lift kit?
Go Fabtech. Call em up, and tell them what you want. They'll get you set up. I have all Rancho, but if I could do it again, I would go Fabtech. I installed everything on my truck myself, and after helping some friends install a Fabtech, I know there is no replacement for their quality. If you are going to just install a leveling kit, a 2" in the front will give you clearance for 33" tires. If you go a 3" spacer with an add a leaf you can get 35" tires on. However, if you bite the bullet and get the 6" fabtech, with the 2.5 DL coilovers, you'll know that you have the best on your pickup (wow, I sound like I work for Fabtech). I only give this advice, because I have had the leveling kits, and now I have a 6" lift. When I had the leveling, it road like ****. You are maxing out your suspension. In simple terms, a leveling kit is the same as putting a jack under your pickup, and you start lifting, and that spot right before your pickup lifts off the ground, and your suspension is topped out... is where you are at.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Leveling kits now are a bit different in that they fit on on top of your factory struts so they really aren't doing anything to your suspension. I have not even noticed a difference in how my truck rides either. But as he says FabTech is a great product I just wasn't aware they made a kit for the 150's. I knew they had one for the 250's and I have seen one installed and it is a really nice kit no doubt about that.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Sparkman1980
New User
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
All right now I have a question about the fabTech kit. It states you CAN NOT use the OE wheels with over-sized tires on this kit. What I am curious about is why that is? I have not seen any other kits state that.

After reading a bit further I would not put this kit on my truck because it limits you on the wheels and size of tires you can put on it. I know they all say you can go up to this size tire but I have never seen anything where they said this wheel size and tire size. Just my opinion though.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Sparkman1980
New User
Originally Posted by Coskid
All right now I have a question about the fabTech kit. It states you CAN NOT use the OE wheels with over-sized tires on this kit. What I am curious about is why that is? I have not seen any other kits state that.

After reading a bit further I would not put this kit on my truck because it limits you on the wheels and size of tires you can put on it. I know they all say you can go up to this size tire but I have never seen anything where they said this wheel size and tire size. Just my opinion though.
Most lifts state that you can't use your OE wheels because of the offset and backspacing of the OE wheels. They come with different knuckles, that won't allow for the OE wheels. Rancho, RIZE, and Fabtech are that way. And the tire size/wheel size is their recommendations. You can get 37's on if you crank the hell out of the DL's.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
OptimusF150
Senior User
There is a kit out there that can use the OEM tires, the Skyjacker lift. I have been doing a lot of research on a lift kit and I am going with the Skyjacker. It doesn't require any cutting of the frame you can use your factory tires and its cheaper then most other lifts. A plus for me at least is the kit comes with skid plates. Another benefit to the kit is if you decide you don't want the lift because of selling or new truck you can take it off and sell it privately or install it on your new truck as long as its compatiable. The most important thing for me is there is no cutting of the frame. That is the number 1 thing for me because I like the fact that fords have the strongest frames.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Sparkman1980
New User
Originally Posted by OptimusF150
There is a kit out there that can use the OEM tires, the Skyjacker lift. I have been doing a lot of research on a lift kit and I am going with the Skyjacker. It doesn't require any cutting of the frame you can use your factory tires and its cheaper then most other lifts. A plus for me at least is the kit comes with skid plates. Another benefit to the kit is if you decide you don't want the lift because of selling or new truck you can take it off and sell it privately or install it on your new truck as long as its compatiable. The most important thing for me is there is no cutting of the frame. That is the number 1 thing for me because I like the fact that fords have the strongest frames.
Optimus - What lift for Skyjacker are you talking about, the 6"??? Or the 3". With the 6" you have to cut cross member like the others. http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/F4601a.pdf Is this the one you are looking at?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 AM
OptimusF150
Senior User
No the one I am looking at is a 6" lift but there is 2 types I think one they call a kit and the other is a system. The kit I was looking at is F4601STK from what I read it says no cutting or grinding of the front differential is necessary. It looks like the instructions show you cut something but I think they only show the one instruction for all the systems.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Coskid
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Sparkman1980
Most lifts state that you can't use your OE wheels because of the offset and backspacing of the OE wheels. They come with different knuckles, that won't allow for the OE wheels. Rancho, RIZE, and Fabtech are that way. And the tire size/wheel size is their recommendations. You can get 37's on if you crank the hell out of the DL's.

Yeah I found that out when chatting with my local 4 Wheel shop. I guess either I missed it or the other kits just don't state it in as good as a spot as FabTech does. Which boost FabTech back up in my book.