Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Jerry Edwards
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calipers

Wierd thing with my calipers,they are completily free when they are cold, when i drive a mile or two with the heat they pretty much lock up.You can break the bleeder on each on loose and they are free.You pump them back up,they are locked up again,so i break the bleeders loose for the hoses and they are free again.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 AM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
grease the slide pins and you will probably be ok

Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not 100% sure on this but I "think" if the rubber lines are going bad may cause this symptom also

Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I was going to say Rubber lines also. Happened on my car.. I took the rubber lines completely out and the rubber swelled shut.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Jerry Edwards
Junior User
Calipers

When I broke the bleeders loose I was hoping it was just the calipers.As far as lubricating all the slides front and rear,I do it once a month,because of the dust in the summer and salt in the winter.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Jerry Edwards
Junior User
Sinse my truck bine sitting for a wile,i went to move it this morning and i noticed a 1 inch free travel in my brake pedal before any fealling in the pedal.Would this have any other affects,other than the calipers and hoses?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:55 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
A quick fix that i had with my car with the hoses swelling shut was to pop a drill bit through them. Were they are crimped on, Each end. Worked good while i had to order hoses and they took two weeks to come in.

Once a month on greasing caliper pins/slides ? Wow.. We have tons of salt and twice a year does the job. Moslty when i put on the winter tires on in the fall and i then take them off in the spring. Car/Jeep. Except my truck. My truck don't see Salt or winter crap.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
I am having an issue that sounds about the same. When I drove my truck today, there was heavy drag and hot brake pad smell coming from all four wheels. The rims were really hot to the touch.
My pedal feels funny, push it in about an inch and nothing, then the pedal sorta "kicks back." Truck shakes really bad at about 40 MPH.
I looked at the pedal and where it goes from inside the cab into the fire wall, feels like there may be a problem there. I get a popping noise that sounds like it comes from the pedal area, and then the brakes are free until you apply them again, then heavy dragging.......
I picked it up from the garage this morning, they replaced the right rear brake caliper and said it was working fine, they must have only driven it from the garage bay to the parking lot. $323 bucks later, still having the same issue.....
Any help would be greatly appreciated.......... MIKE IN MN

Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Wow. $322 ? I would take it back to them and have them fix it. Sounds like you rotor is warped and they did a shady job.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 PM
bike_guy123
Senior User
I wouldn't say they did a shady job, they just didn't investigate it far enough. I put new rotors and pads on three days ago because of the brakes dragging, the pads were shot and I figured this was the fix. When I took the pads off, the pad was separated from te backing.... The rotors were worn bad enough to require replacing.
I really think master cylinder may be shot. The plunger seems to be sticking and not rebounding far enough to release the brakes?

Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
I wouldn't drill anything outta the hoses. They are that thick for a reason. You will weakin the sides of the hose and not only put you,your family, and everyone else around you on the road in danger. Replace your hoses if they are swollen shut. You will blow the brake lines in time.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Jerry Edwards
Junior User
Unhappy Calipers

I think on mine,i'm going to try the hoses first.They are the cheepest to replace,then drive it to find out if that is the only problem.If i have to replace the calipers i will,trying not to spend too much cash.My rotors turned blue within the trip home,have to replace them and the pads,and of course the rotors are gun drilled and slotted,NOT CHEEP!