Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Overdrive Cancel/Tow button

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Adirondacker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive Cancel/Tow button

I have an intermittent problem when I press the Over Drive Cancel button when I want to tow.

If I do it when the truck is in gear (not in park) it causes the fuse to blow which controls the dash gauges and gas pedal. (These are on the same circuit)

If I press it when in Park, it works fine. But if I try it while driving it blows that fuse "almost" every time.

Any idea what to look for?

I haven't a clue as to where to start.

Thanks,.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Can't help you with the electrical problem, but it's not a "tow" button. The rule of thumb is, when towing, you only wanna take the OD off when your trans starts hunting for gears when pulling a grade.

Stewart

Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Open up the steering column plastic covers and you'll see the wires come out of the shifter and cross over the top of the steel column itself. I'm guessing when the shifter lever is in park, there is a wire that is rubbed bare and shorting out on the metal.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Adirondacker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Open up the steering column plastic covers and you'll see the wires come out of the shifter and cross over the top of the steel column itself. I'm guessing when the shifter lever is in park, there is a wire that is rubbed bare and shorting out on the metal.

Bingo. You nailed it.

I took apart the steering column covers.

After figuring out how to remove the ignition key plastic, and the tilt wheel arm, I found the wire under the rubber boot for the shifter. Underneath they were rubbed bare from resting on the steel. In Park there was enough slack to keep it off the steel but once it was shifted in gear it was touching so that if I pressed the button the switched leg would go to ground and blow the 10 amp fuse.

I'm glad it was that simple.

While I was there, I removed the black/pink wire attached to the ignition key switch that makes the darn chime go off if the door is open with the keys in it. So many times I like to listen to radio with the door open but couldn't due to the noise it made.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you found the problem. The door chime delete mod is one of my favorites!