Sponsored by: DP Tuner

motor experts please

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mexicoF250
I can re-use my 6 month old valve cover seals again right?
If you're referring to the valve cover gaskets, yes you can re-use them. The only reason to replace them would be if you develop a problem with the pass thru connector or if you somehow tear one.

As Jose suggested, an International truck dealer is a great place to buy OEM parts for these trucks at a better price than Ford sells the same thing for. You just need to know the part number. Asking here will usually get you the IH part number you need for future purchases.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the offer . . . muy amable. Yeah, I'm going to just go for it . . . I figure I really don't have any other options. I'll be sure to keep a better history than the mechanics did for future reference.

What I am still hesitating on is buying a whole new set of springs. Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and get them ???

Another question I have for the motor experts. I've got brand new glowy plugs and new(reman) injectors and the valve cover seals are new . . . HPOP has new o-rings in it . . . what more could possibly be replaced in my engine after I put in a new set of pushrods and springs?

I can re-use my 6 month old valve cover seals again right?

On glowplugs USE ONLY FACTORY brand glow plugs the aftermarket ones are known to break off in the motor. Seen it many times.

Valve cover gaskets are ok to reuse in our motors just make sure you have the under valve cover wiring connected tightly.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rockrunner86
On glowplugs USE ONLY FACTORY brand glow plugs the aftermarket ones are known to break off in the motor. Seen it many times.

Valve cover gaskets are ok to reuse in our motors just make sure you have the under valve cover wiring connected tightly.

Well now, that's kinda scary. Can't the aftermarket companies be sued for a new motor then? I'm assuming when they break off they cause destruction . . .

I had them put in with the new injectors 6 months ago. I have no idea if they are factory or not . . . my luck . . . probably not and I'll probably get one to break off in there.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
Ok, so a valve spring tester costs 100 bucks and the springs cost 80 bucks . . . that sound like the cheapest option for 16 springs?

Are the 910-16 ' s a universal spring or something because I don't see a motor specification.

What spring compressor do I need? I tried to figure that out and got the library for options. What is the best for my money . . . and will work.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Well now, that's kinda scary. Can't the aftermarket companies be sued for a new motor then? I'm assuming when they break off they cause destruction . . .

I had them put in with the new injectors 6 months ago. I have no idea if they are factory or not . . . my luck . . . probably not and I'll probably get one to break off in there.
They get stuck when you try to remove them to replace. The tips expand for some reason.

Ok, so a valve spring tester costs 100 bucks and the springs cost 80 bucks . . . that sound like the cheapest option for 16 springs?

Are the 910-16 ' s a universal spring or something because I don't see a motor specification.

What spring compressor do I need? I tried to figure that out and got the library for options. What is the best for my money . . . and will work.

I can't recall what the 910-16s are for, but I know alot of guys run them in powerstrokes with good results. They have a slightly higher seat pressure, thus helping keep the valves from floating and causing push rod failures.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

yes I would, to see if they are AUTOLITE, because thouse are the WORST, buy motorcraft made by Beru.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:22 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
I'm new to springs . . . is there anything I need to know about getting a spring compressor? Are they generic or specific?

Think the International spring set would be cheaper than the 80 dollar set at Summit Racing?

Old 06-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
I'm new to springs . . . is there anything I need to know about getting a spring compressor? Are they generic or specific?

Think the International spring set would be cheaper than the 80 dollar set at Summit Racing?

Perhaps, but the 910's have a greater seat pressure which will help to keep your valves from floating and reducing the chance of bent pushrods..

The ford/international spring compressor that directly bolts to the rocker arm towers works really well.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:05 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
Thanks for the answer . . . any idea where I might think to start looking for one here in Mexico? Will the International dealer have one of those?

Appreciate the time and effort of everyone's replies here . . . it's been great. Probably everyone is wondering when we're going to see some dirty work get done . . . I'm stalling and avoiding while the world cup is on 8 hours of the day. Ha ha. Mexico won the other day against France . . . the city shut down . . . it was awesome. Can't wait to see them get into the quarters or semis . . .

Old 06-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Rockrunner86
Senior User
Thanks for the answer . . . any idea where I might think to start looking for one here in Mexico? Will the International dealer have one of those?

Appreciate the time and effort of everyone's replies here . . . it's been great. Probably everyone is wondering when we're going to see some dirty work get done . . . I'm stalling and avoiding while the world cup is on 8 hours of the day. Ha ha. Mexico won the other day against France . . . the city shut down . . . it was awesome. Can't wait to see them get into the quarters or semis . . .

No sorry I don't know where to get the compressor I used, I borrowed one from a friend that worked at Ford. Hopefully someone else with post up with what they used.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Lisle use to make some good valve spring compressors.Don't know about finding them south of the border

Old 06-20-2010, 12:46 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

I would say all the COUNTRY shut down. Yeap you will see what happens if get into quarters at least, or semis

About the spring compressor I dont think that the IH dealer here, has one to borrow it, maybe you have to buy a generic one.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM
powerstroke8994
Senior User
Well the first and foremost issue i see here is that ANY time you have a bent push tube you remove the head and check you tappets. I have seen WAY too many time that 7.3s and 6.0s throw and bend pushtubes then the compnay just orders the new push tube. THat is just absolutely stupid!!! I had a bus come in one time with the EXACT same issue you have. They just kept putting new push tube in the #3 hole. I saw the push tube was bent so i took the head off. The roller on the tappet was completely gone and acted as a nice lathe and destroyed the cam. The engine had a crap load of metal in it so i replaced the engine. I see this issue alot at work and i dont want to see you waste the engine from not checking. You say you dont overspeed the engine. Plus you live in mexico so i would doubt it has ever been started on ether. Also you dont have an exhaust brake. I would say you have a big issue here. I doubt its the valve sprngs honestly. I have never seen a valve spring loose tension in 200k. I have in n14s with 2million on them but that normally breaks it not loose tension. I would pull both heads have a valve job done on it and check you tappets plus your cam for exxcess wear. Its easy to do on your truck the heads are just heavy thats all. Doesnt take alot of time. That way youcan also check your bores and other stuff. Pull heads heads and check the teppets and cam though cause 8/10 times youll have something going on bad done there.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM
mexicoF250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by powerstroke8994
I would pull both heads have a valve job done on it and check you tappets plus your cam for exxcess wear. Its easy to do on your truck the heads are just heavy thats all. Doesnt take alot of time. That way you can also check your bores and other stuff. Pull heads heads and check the teppets and cam though cause 8/10 times youll have something going on bad done there.
Ok, this sounds a lot more reasonable to me than simply replacing my pushrods and suggestions that my springs are bad . . . I still realize it could be the springs, but it seems unlikely. So, this is a new frontier for me . . . don't know what teppets are, and I'm not sure about the cams either . . . what am I looking for and what precautions do I need to take? I am assuming taking the heads off follows taking the valve covers off, or do I need to remove the pushrods, springs, the whole nine yards? Once I get all of it out, how do I check all this stuff?

Lastly, if I have to remove the valve springs, I need a spring compressor don't I? I have been unable to figure out what type of spring compressor to get. There seem to be a million types from heavy duty to light duty to overhead, generic, etc . . . I'm lost on what I need for a spring compressor and can't find anything here in the forums that says which we need.

Thanks for the info, please advise further since this sounds like a better option than simply replacing everything.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
First, Let me just say, If you do not have the proper tools and knowledge to change the valve springs don't do it. You need to know how to keep the valve up against the valve seat and how to remove the spring. This is not something you should at home in a non equiped shop, You will need an air compressor, an adapter to fit into the glow plug hole. The proper spring compressor must be used. I say have it done.

Quick Reply: motor experts please